Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG 1:5 Formula 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 06:09 PM
mkincy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FG 1:5 Formula 1

I am concidering buying one of the FG formula one cars, I'm just wondering where do those of you who have a large scale on-road drive it? are tracks that are intended for 1/10-1/8 onroads large enough?
Old 04-25-2006, 06:53 PM
mnf1sand

Default RE: FG 1:5 Formula 1

U can run the just about anywhere you would run an 1/8 scale. We ran the US cup at Hamilton, Ohio with no issues and they have had many 1/10&1/8 big shows there.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:28 AM
MnMikeRC

The FG Comp F-1's are a flipping good time too.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:14 PM
ammdrew

they do jump well also
Old 04-26-2006, 07:51 PM
mkincy

Ok, i found a track in my area where some drivers use 1/4 scale stock cars. it belongs to a club called RCRCNT and for a $225 for 3 years membership fee, i can get the keys to the gate at the track area and practice all i want.

So now all thats left is to pay down one of my credit cards so it can handle the $3200 whalop LoL.

I do have a couple of other questions, i know these things have to go thru tires like mad, from what ive seen the tires are $75 for two rears and $60 for two fronts, is that what you guys pay? and will a set of tires last like one day? or less?

Do they use one standard size servo for steering and one for throtle/brake? i plan to get the car with hydro breaks if that make the difference on servo count.

Will my futaba 3pk work with only 3 channels or do i need a different radio?

Do you guys use the stock pull starter or use another starting method?

Do i need a fuel pump system like people use with aircraft?

Old 04-26-2006, 09:21 PM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: mkincy

Ok, i found a track in my area where some drivers use 1/4 scale stock cars. it belongs to a club called RCRCNT and for a $225 for 3 years membership fee, i can get the keys to the gate at the track area and practice all i want. sweet!

So now all thats left is to pay down one of my credit cards so it can handle the $3200 whalop LoL.Have you looked at the sportline version? $1000-1500

I do have a couple of other questions, i know these things have to go thru tires like mad, from what ive seen the tires are $75 for two rears and $60 for two fronts, is that what you guys pay? and will a set of tires last like one day? or less? I remember asking Troy (FGPerformance) the same question and if I remember correctly he said that a set of regular F1 tires (not rains) will last him most of a season of racing

Do they use one standard size servo for steering and one for throtle/brake? i plan to get the car with hydro breaks if that make the difference on servo count.You will need 1 large scale servo for steering and one standard size for rear brakes and throttle and if you use front brakes (hydro,cable) you will need a third servo dedicated to the front brakes

Will my futaba 3pk work with only 3 channels or do i need a different radio?Yes the 3pk will work wonderfully for this application! the 3pk has a few features that many others do not have that are important for on-road gassers; Brake mixing, pcm and hrs if you use all digitals plus a built in failsafe with PCM or HRS

Do you guys use the stock pull starter or use another starting method?pullstarter is used almost exclusivly

Do i need a fuel pump system like people use with aircraft?No; just a gallon gas can with good fuel and great premix oil

Old 04-26-2006, 10:32 PM
mkincy

ChowderHead,
Thanks alot for all the info, I have looked at the sport version but i figure there has to be a reason its half the price of the competition version. I think the large scale cars are the ultimate so i may as well go for top performance. I'f i bought the sport, the thought would always be in the back of my mind "what have i missed out on by not getting the comp.".

Mike
Old 04-27-2006, 09:09 AM
MnMikeRC

There really is no substitute for the ultimate in F-1 than the Comp. car. It has everything you can imagine in it and is a work of art to look at after building it. Tire wear will be determined by the surface that you are racing on. Some tracks eat tires faster than others. Like Chowderhead said, you will need 1- 1/4 scale servo for the steering, 1 standard size for throttle/rear brake and 1 standard size just for front brake. Your 3PK is perfect for this car, that is the radio that most of us use with these cars.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:04 PM
carpy100

DO YOURSELF A MASSIVE FAVOUR......
go down the track before you buy ANYTHING and talk to the F1 guys.

i guarantee you will save $$$$$ and buy rite first time with first hand, ever changing knowledge
Old 04-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

Dude don't kill your self, buy used off ebay and save at least 50%
Old 04-28-2006, 03:29 PM
carpy100

dr.armo, when i said first hand i meant first hand experience info. but totally agree, if you can find a car second hand it is the only option, as these cars have usually been maintained at the highest level to be competitive.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:33 PM
mnf1sand

A sportline F1 is a very capable car out of the box, but the first thing one will see if your racing is you need four wheel brakes. Cables work but are a lot of work to keep working correctly. Hydros are the way to go. At our track two guys added front cables and pulled them off last week due to problems. They are looking to buy hydros. Then once you get the speed up (depending of your track) you will need a Diff, the stock sportline diff has no locking. So if you added brakes and diff you are looking at another $800+ on top of a new $1300 sportline. so $2100 and for another $800-$1000 you could have a Comp with all the jazz. But if you want to just go to a track and cruise around the sportlines fine. In our year long season last year a sportline finished second between four comp cars. A good shape used one is obviously a great choice of you can find one.