Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Air Flow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 12:20 PM
D0G
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Flow?

Just curious as to how much Airflow these engines need? I am Fabricating a lexan cover for most of the front end of my MT. Covering the Servos, as well as side rails and fuel tank, as I was bending and fitting, I had extra, that could be fastned to the Rollbar, but it would stop almost all airflow from the front directly onto the muffler. Could this possibly damage the engine, Or am I still thinkin in Nitro? lol.. I know they dont need AS MUCH air cooling as a Nitro, but they do need some right?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:31 PM
8000ft

Default RE: Air Flow?

Yep, you're still thinking nitro. The engines fly wheel is also a fan induction system. So as long as you don't cover the holes on the pull starter you sould be fine. What type of head are you running? I mean is it a covered head, or is it a billit head? If it's a billit than yes it is doing some cooling by air flow accross it. If it's a covered head than all the cooling is done by the fan.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:37 PM
D0G

Whatever comes with the FG MT. And I havent and wont cover over the Engine head at all, just the exhaust.

My Next Question was going to be "would it be allright to cover over the holes in the pullstart to avoid crap getting into it" but from your reply I would think that THATS worse to cover then the exhaust..or muffler
Old 05-10-2006, 12:51 PM
8000ft

Actually I've tried the screen over the holes trick and didn't like it. It pluged up with grass so fast and then you loose the air flow into that side of the fan. also if you look on the under side of your engine you will see bigger holes for venting the other side of the fan, so whats the piont of covering the pull start holes if bigger junk will get sucked in through the other holes. Also all of the grass the pluged up the starter holes with the screen on would easely get blown right through the fins on the head with the screen off. So I took mine off.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:19 PM
borley1863

When i was using my MT i didn`t relise how much air flow there was over the engine from the fan until i took the plastic cover off of the engine and there was a block of grass on the head, it had sucked in grass through the fan and built up under the cover. I took the grass out and next time i started the engine you could easly feel the cold air blowing through! So the engine must of been running hot for a while.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:14 PM
badz

I don't even keep my pull starter attached due to issue's with the dirt clogging it constantly...and I have no heat issue at all.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:12 PM
D0G

badz do you not have side rails? or did you modify them? I saw an earlier post of you stating that you just removed the starter each time. I have yet to run into the clogging starter issue, but can very easially see how it would happen. Therefore I am trying to fix a possible problem before it happens.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:51 PM
bigger the better

There’s no way to keep crap out! [:@] You just need to watch under the plastic top on the head closely and clean thoroughly afterwards. A good spray from the air compressor cleans that well. I run with mesh over the starter holes and it does keep a lot of grass and larger pebbles from entering there but, it does block up fast when on grass. There are several holes in the engine that will allow air movement there just more protected.
Give us a photo of your work.
I fabricated some side rails to cover the stock ones and that seems too really keep allot of crap from entering and it was really easy to do.
Here are a few pictures of the air inlets and the side rails.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18889.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	459489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23740.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	459490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17747.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	143.8 KB