Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

whats the best way to remove.......

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

whats the best way to remove.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 01:00 PM
carpy100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the best way to remove.......

two things....
firstly countersunk m3 allen bolts (used for engine chassis mounts)
secondly bearings from alloy uprights.

any help greatly appreciated!!

regards,
paul.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:39 PM
8000ft

Default RE: whats the best way to remove.......

Which 3mm bolts are you thinking of? The ones on the side plates? The four for the engine? The ones for the suspension?

The easest way that I know to get the bearings out is to set the piece on top of a vise with the vise jaws open just a bit wider than the outside of the bearing and then find a scocket that is the same size as the outer race on the bearing and tap it out using a hammer, but be gentle and tap it straight out.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:17 PM
borley1863

well if your saying you`ve rounded them off it doesn`t matter what the size is, you need a drill bit slightly smaller than the head, drill out the head till it falls off or knock the head off with a chisel.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:28 PM
carpy100

i replaced the fixings that go thru the chassis plate into the engine mounts with stainless countersunk allen fixings (to be replaced with torqs fixings if i ever get them out!)
and the bearings cant be knocked thru because of the lips inside the hub that are there to stop that happening!
ive tried the cheap 'easy out' type reverse thread taper tool. was wondering if anyone can give me info on a more profesional tool.

nitemare!
Old 05-18-2006, 03:10 PM
8000ft

Take a Dremmel and grind them off or better yet take a drill bit slightly larger than the head and drill the heads off, then you can take the engine off and grab the remaining portion of the scerw with a vise grip and turn them out.
The bearings went in on one side or the other, so they must be able to come out one side or the other.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:33 PM
ibstar

to get my bearings out i use wood on the vice to stop the alloy getting runied, and tap them out with a flat headed screwdriver that fits through from the otherside, it doesn't mater if the bearing comes apart, put new in they are cheap enough, the bolts as above will have to drilled off, use a 3 then a 4 and maybe a 5, till the heads drop off, using plenty of oil, then mole grips, vice them out mounts
Old 05-18-2006, 10:44 PM
caad5

To remove bearings the easy way just get the FG bearing removal tools. For bearings with an inside diameter of 10-12mm Fg Part No: 8543. And for bearings with an inside diameter of 12-15 mm Fg Part No : 8549
Old 05-18-2006, 11:14 PM
J_D

allen bolts?

u mean grub screws?
Old 05-19-2006, 05:47 AM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

Bearing, use a punch or a screwdriver to pop them out while being in a vise. Abec bearing are direct replacement. (skateboard, rollerblades, sport shops will have them)

As fo rthe engine bolts. you can also use a dremel and cut a small groove into the bolt so a flat head screwdriver can be placed in. Heating up the bolt with a soldering iron can also loosen the locktite used. Or use a drill bil to remove the head of the bolt and then pliers to unscrew the remaining bolt.

The trick is to apply lots of torque while pushing DOWN on the bolt. Somtimes also go back and forth and it may to loosen it.

Truley the best way is getting someone else to do it for you too!!
Old 05-19-2006, 12:21 PM
carpy100

ORIGINAL: SELWA

Truley the best way is getting someone else to do it for you too!!
lmao thats the kind of usefull advice i'd think up..

looks like iv gotta finally buy a dremmell[>:]