Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Can you mix a little Gas with Camp Fuel?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Can you mix a little Gas with Camp Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 09:52 AM
hpiguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you mix a little Gas with Camp Fuel?

I'm changing my boats, FGs over to camp fuel. Just to get rid of the gas smell.

Each tank has a very little residue of fuel and of course the primer bulbs still have at tiny mix of gas in them.

There should be no probem filling up the tanks with 32:1 mix of Camp fuel and just running as normal right?
Old 05-20-2006, 10:56 AM
amitysanimal

Default RE: Can you mix a little Gas with Camp Fuel?

I didn't drain my carbs dry or anything. I just removed the gas from the tank and put Coleman fuel in and away I went, never looking back. I have also read somewhere that the Ozark Trails (Wal-Mart brand) fuel is better than the Coleman fuel. Don't remember why they said it was better, maybe it was more pure or something, not sure. Ozark Trails is what I have used with no problems at all, never touched the carb or anything.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:30 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Same here. Drained the gas from the tank but nothing else. That was over a gallon ago. No smell and runs great.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Bigboytoys
My Feedback: (5)

What ratio of oil are you guys running with the camp fuel? Last time I tried to run camp fuel, my truck ran like crap. I was using 32:1
Old 05-20-2006, 02:22 PM
hpiguy

ORIGINAL: amitysanimal

I didn't drain my carbs dry or anything. I just removed the gas from the tank and put Coleman fuel in and away I went, never looking back. I have also read somewhere that the Ozark Trails (Wal-Mart brand) fuel is better than the Coleman fuel. Don't remember why they said it was better, maybe it was more pure or something, not sure. Ozark Trails is what I have used with no problems at all, never touched the carb or anything.
Thanks to all you guys.

I'm using the Ozark fuel also. It's $3.84 gallon compared to $4.84 gallon for the Coleman. And the only difference I think is the name.

All the engines fired up perfectly. They idled really nice and had good pickup. I stayed at the 32:1 mixture with Techniplate 90% synthetic/ 10% castor oil.

I only have one concern and that is that the MT5 now puts out copious amounts of white smoke. I mean enough to kill a horse. But it runs REALLY good. I'm starting a thread on this.

The boat has the same mix in it and it runs great with only a thin streak of smoke behind it out the tuned pipe.

Oh and BTW you can fire them up in the house really quick for a tune and not worry about the stink. Yay!
Old 05-20-2006, 02:43 PM
hellya

using gas my vehicles had to stay in the garage.... now that I use the white lightning, I can work on them in the house without the wife giving me crap
Old 05-20-2006, 11:18 PM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

actually 1/2 gas and 1/2 camp fuel works the best
Old 05-21-2006, 07:23 AM
amitysanimal

What is the advantage of mixing it? I want to run the Coleman fuel because of the smell of gas and wonder why half and half is better than all of one or the other.

ORIGINAL: fastrat_porting_service

actually 1/2 gas and 1/2 camp fuel works the best
Old 05-21-2006, 08:17 AM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

I dump excess camp fuel that my friend runs (25:1) in with my 25:1 mixture for my 29cc kitted hammer and no problems yet

I have not seen any real changes? still seems too be running the same too me...
Old 05-21-2006, 09:37 AM
kengentry5000

I run 32:1 with no noticeable power difference or smoke in Zen G260

Hey FastRat, are you changing your opinion on camp fuel with the half gas, half Coleman? You have been steadfast on your position of running 100% camp fuel with Maxima 927. Is this based on yours or anothers recent bad experience running 100% camp fuel with castor-based 2 stroke oil?
Old 05-21-2006, 09:21 PM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

i still swear by camp fuel but ive done a bit of experimenting and 87 oct pump gas mixed with the 55-60 octane of the camp fuel has a bit more punch on the very top end
Old 05-22-2006, 11:16 AM
vdub103

This is the first I have heard of this, Using the camp fuel that is. Do is give more power over gas or do you all switch cause of the smell??
Old 05-22-2006, 12:10 PM
kengentry5000

The switch to camp fuel is to get rid of the gas smell. The power difference has been mostly reported as 'the same as gas' but now fastrat may be on to some new info.

I'm happy with the power with camp fuel. If I am loosing some top end I'm not missing it. The lack of smell is worth any small loss in power. I carry my car in the trunk of my everyday car and there is no more smell.