Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Baja drive shaft boots

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 10:40 AM
northernchris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja drive shaft boots

Just been out the buggy,not bad at all.Far better handling than my gator but alot slower!

Anyway,after 2 tanks breaking it in and 1 tank of playing both inner drive shaft boots have split!!!!! Not good.

Anyone else had any probs?

I also removed the tail pipe off the exhaust made a big differance to the way the motor picked up.

Chris
Old 06-04-2006, 11:37 AM
seli63

Default RE: Baja drive shaft boots

You can put your boots back together using some good tire glue I suggest that you try to glue them while there on the axles other than that i havn't had any problems with mine yet but if they do decide to go we can proably use the ones from fg , the ones on my st6 have never failed.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Timmahh
Banned

by break in do you mean tuning to your area? a gasser really only needs to be started and its broken in... i ve never took a weedwacker or similar engine and idles a tank thru it, gas it up and GO. suxxors on the boots. CALL HPI, this is a new product and they Will want to be aware of it.
Timmahh
Old 06-04-2006, 02:21 PM
radio_controlled_mad

i tore one of my boots also during run in but there only a few quid to replace,not worth the price of phoning japan to complain over a £3 wearing part - as for run in do what it says in the manual - 2 tanks,not worth risking engine damage..... are you in n/east or n/west uk!!
Old 06-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Timmahh
Banned

NO NEED TO call about a failure on a new product? even a boot? Common sense says make the call to atleast inform, even if you buy the part locally out of your own pocket. NO ONE can fix what they dont know is wrong..... if your two situations are isolated, great if not, its a possible MANUFACTURE Defect, the MORE people that report it the More they KNOW THERE IS AN ISSUE. 3 lb wearign part or not. if its toast with in the first gallon, its not good, this is a new item, the Manufacture needs to know about even the littlest things so they can make the proper design changes to eliminate THAT problem on future runs....
a little common sence goes a long way for the future of yoru Wallett.
jm2c
Timmahh

So you got the Baja RCM? did you get it with the Z engine or did you stick with that cheap cy?

Old 06-04-2006, 02:51 PM
radio_controlled_mad

nope i did not get the baja yet did you - im in no hurry,i have large scale to keep me going while i read a few owners reviews & see videos as still pics never show the full story,,,but for what i have read so far it will be the baja with the zen option from hobbytek,as for phoning/contacting a company over a £3 moving wearing part - i wouldnt embarress myself,parts will always break and need replaceing and wouldnt expect ANY company to keep sending out model parts for free unless it was a serious manafacturing defect,those boots wrap around the wheel hubs and axles and take abit of stress,i would be more surprised if one didnt split now and again,norther chris instead of buying fg or hpi boots you can get them from either a vw or audi dealer alot cheaper - (unless yours can be repaired with a spot of glue),cant remember parts number put there is a few threads about this already....
Old 06-04-2006, 06:25 PM
J_D

ORIGINAL: Timmahh

by break in do you mean tuning to your area? a gasser really only needs to be started and its broken in... i ve never took a weedwacker or similar engine and idles a tank thru it, gas it up and GO. suxxors on the boots. CALL HPI, this is a new product and they Will want to be aware of it.
Timmahh
all engines need some form of break in.

And idling a tank thru a new engine is NOT a good thing.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:43 AM
jkulhanek

ORIGINAL: Timmahh

did you get it with the Z engine or did you stick with that cheap cy?

What's wrong with CY engines?
Old 06-05-2006, 04:16 AM
J_D

reckon

my CY puts out 5 hp
Old 06-05-2006, 07:17 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Dave over at Dave's Motors sells CY, SIKK and Zen motors - all great prices too. I asked his opinion before buying.

Dave says the machining on the Zen is much higher quality than the CY and SIKK engines. This SHOULD translate into a smoother running engine and longer, stronger life. With that info I spent an extra $100 on the Zenoah G260 to replace my 23cc CY engine.

On the break-in debate, I ran 3 tanks easy and then the fourth tank I started to open up some. The engine started running like crap during the fourth tank. I reset the carb high and low screws to factory settings and the engine restarted perfectly and ran really strong. Something interesting happened just before that (valves seating or something). Many gallons later the engine is still doing great.

I don't have a lot of money to burn in this hobby so I take calculated risks with my equipment. Dave's and Zenoah say break it in easy so I broke it in easy.

My STIHL dealer told me to take it easy for the first two tanks of fuel (over 32 ounce tank) and NOT go full throttle on my leaf blower. I spent $400 USD on that machine so I did what was recommended. Lawn and garden power equipment is designed to operate in a more conservative power range to provide long life. Our car engines are tuned more for racing. Making direct comparisons between these different classes of equipment is not very fair.

I guess I have more patience than money.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Timmahh
Banned

NOTHING is wrong with the cy engines AT ALL, very good engines.. and at 100 less than its z counterpart, means more money for MIX!!! Hopeing to see the Baja by the end of the week
Timmahh