RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

"Big plans little budget little knowledge"

Old 06-08-2006, 09:55 PM
LaRgEsCaLeRaCeR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default "Big plans little budget little knowledge"

hey everyone i was looking to make a large scale truck mainly just to mess around with i talked with a mechanic that i work with that can weld and he said he would weld me a frame as soon as i give him plans im not exactly sure how this little project will turn out but so far i have this general idea in my head of what this truck should be

4wd solid axles (i would do independent suspension but this way is so much cheaper and i dont really care about how well it rides because im not going to be riding in it)
im not sure whether i want to go 2stroke or 4stroke on the engine but im leaning towards 4stroke def going to be a gasoline engine idealy it would be able to go around 45-50mph
as far as getting the power to the wheels im at a loss of ideas i dont want to do a chain because its such a pain on my dirtbike to keep having to put the chain back on and adjust the wheel ive taken apart a couple of electric trucks i have but i dont think those setups would work for this application seeing as that the gears are made of plastic so if you have ideas please do not hold back
the frame i am going to weld together a bunch of steel pipes
i dont know about wheels and tires
and if someone could recomend a cheap radio that would be able to handle this beast i would appreciate it
if anyone has fabricated their own large scale truck it would be really helpful if they could give me some pointers and also some pictures
dont get me wrong im not trying to built a state of the art truck that you can fly to the moon here i just want something that is reliable functional and cheap im not going to be racing this truck either i simply want it to mess around with at my hunting camp
Old 06-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Soloratov
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: "Big plans little budget little knowledge"

Well, from a design standpoint, locking out a chain drive is a big mistake right away. It is so simple to setup. Plus, it's a bit different than your dirtbike, it's a much smaller area, and length, and unlike that, you could place a pair of discs on either side of the sprocket to keep the chain on. Only thing to consider, is keeping the chain tight, but if you place the idler sprocket at the swing point of the suspension, it's no big deal. Otherwise you need a gearbox, or a driveshaft to get the power. Which, can be a mess when making it yourself. Besides, if you are doing a straight solid shaft, a chain is a one step deal.....just put it on.

For an engine, go 2 stroke. 4 is not as good, only because of the power. Well, maybe the price too. Depends on what you want to use, most engines this size are 2 stroke. It's up to you though.

Wheels and tires, use the front tires off a small riding mower, of course it depends how big this truck will be, but for mine, since it's a 1/4 Hummer, I used 10.5" dia. tires. But this is also a 49" long truck, so try to keep it proportional. To big, it's won't turn and you'll spend a ton on a servo, too small, and well, it won't go anywhere.

As far as a radio, any will handle it. It's a question of the servos, and how much you have to spend.

Before you buy the engine, servos, or shocks, you will need to know two key things. How big is it, and how much does it weight. Those two things will determine the strengths you need of those three parts. The bigger you go, the more power and money (or friendly giveaways) you will need.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:12 PM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

take off all the stuff required to haul a human around and you have a big rig for less than 1/2 the cost of an an FG or hpi

[link=http://www.sdscooters.com/QuadRacer_Street.html]pocket quads[/link]

[link=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pocket+quads]googles links[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84970.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	475437  
Old 06-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Soloratov
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lol, forgot about that fastrat. Again, that is a great find. Yes, this, is the answer to your needs. THis way all you need is a radio system, but I think the servo wil need to be quite large. Either way, this is so sweet.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:03 PM
original.mb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

check ebay if you look you should be able to pick up a good fg with hopups etc ready to go, it saves building one
Old 06-11-2006, 09:58 PM
purple_car

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow that's cheap for that pocket quad. Has anyone converted this to RC before? Definitely a good way to go.