Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Baja 5B Mods-Lets See Them

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 10:55 AM
fourwheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Baja 5B Mods-Lets See Them

The sound is awesome!!! The pipes look cool as well.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:51 PM
slaphead

[sm=confused.gif]Pipe looks cool and I appreciate you don't want to talk performance but it just sounds a bit flat when picking up the throttle, do you know if this is cc, pipe or gearing related?[sm=confused.gif]
Old 06-11-2006, 03:03 PM
brice_arnold
My Feedback: (6)

I couldn't tell you. I've only had two tanks through the engine and I havn't done any adjustments. Aside from the pipe, the engine settings are factory. As an observation I will say this, before changing the pipe there was some lag (about a second or more) in the RPM rev-up of the engine. I associated this with the factory settings for the carb probably being rich for break-in purposes, though I could be wrong. After the pipe this lag was less noticable. Again I'm not claiming that the pipe had anything to do with this but I did notice it.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:10 PM
highspeeddirt
My Feedback: (1)

Nice video. Keep em coming.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:36 PM
bigger the better

ORIGINAL: brice_arnold

I have no way of documenting performance without someone tearing me a new one for stating any kind of improvement because I didn't test my engine on $20000 XPRZ-6400-Do-Dad With ANSI and ISO calibration certification within an hour of using the engine. I knew this would happen which is why I will never say anything about performance. I will say this though; it looks cool and it make more noise. When I get video later today maybe you can get a feel for it.
Dude, ignore those who bash[:-] There are many of us who read and dont post.
I for one think your invention (Pipe) is GREAT and is what this hobby is all about!
If the pipe seems to let too much pressure out just install some adapters in the ends to close them up a little and see if you can see any improvement or delay starting to return as you close it off.
At least you have the only pipe that looks really like it should be there. (So far)[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 06-12-2006, 02:02 AM
Timmahh
Banned

i found some copper recuders at my LHS, local hardware store. hm confusing..lol and it will take take 3/4 to either 1/2 OR 1/4 out, and they got 1/2 to 1/4s. i ll put a pipe together if i dont get the Xcan, BUT, what kind of back pressure should i be looking for, and how exactly do i measure it properly?
timmahh
Old 06-12-2006, 08:07 AM
TurtleRacing

brice arnold, the pipe looks awesome!! Did you remove any of the baffling inside?? Have you landed on the tail yet & if you did,did it hit the extensions? I was thinking about cutting mine open & taking the baffling out then putting on a biggere diameter extansion,now that I see yours though, I think I'll have to dual it out!!
Old 06-12-2006, 08:51 AM
BuggZy99
My Feedback: (2)

pipe sounds good,love how the hpi looks even if i own a FG mt-5, i glad other companies are going big scale, its more then fun to have different models when we go bash instead of all the same thing, each one has its + and - side to it. at the end of the day lets all remeber one thing, these are TOYZ, expensive, but still TOYZ.
love this post cause no one is bashing any one . its all facts supported by pics and a video.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Timmahh
Banned

wErd!
Timmahh
Old 06-12-2006, 10:53 AM
original.mb

buggzy99

right on brother
Old 06-12-2006, 11:12 AM
brice_arnold

TurtleRacing- Thanks for the props. Yeah I removed the guts from the muffler otherwise they would have made a mess during welding and would have interfered with the flow to the new pipes.

I have landed on the pipe a couple of times as you can see in my crashes video. No harm though. The pipe has a bracket which is bolted up to the rear of the vehicle. It's a pretty strong setup.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97706.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	476438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79474.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	476439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80127.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	476440  
Old 06-12-2006, 12:23 PM
TurtleRacing

Cool man!! Thanks for the during pics & the answers,I'm thinking about goin this route instead of X-Can!! Did you use stainless tubing??
Old 06-13-2006, 06:40 PM
brice_arnold

I finished my rotors for the front brakes today. I decided to take my design up a notch from the other brakes available. I increased the diameter of the rotors from 70mm to 75mm. Also, I decided to go with hydraulic calipers. I just need to make an adaptor plate for the calipers and find somewhere to mount the master cyinder. There's not a whole lot of room but I think I'm going to go above the steering servo. The only problem with this design is that I might have to cut the body for this.

Name:	Mk25245.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	477269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70062.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	477270  
Old 06-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Timmahh
Banned

sweet, where did you find those lil arse calipers? and what do you expect your damages to be?
Timmahh
Old 06-13-2006, 07:28 PM
brice_arnold

The calipers are the FG/Magura Hydraulics.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:30 AM
brice_arnold

Just finished the brackets. I still need to figure out the master cylinder situation.

Name:	Ec88272.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	477438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37375.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	477439  
Old 06-14-2006, 12:32 AM
brice_arnold

Here are pics with the wheels. I think it looks pretty cool. We'll just have to see how they work.

Name:	Rp42709.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	477440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32673.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	477441  
Old 06-14-2006, 12:39 AM
Timmahh
Banned

Dude that Looks FANFRAKINTASTIC, even if they never worked they look great. how did you finish with the mc? and if you dont mind, how hard did it hurt to get the set? you need to post this over on teh baja fourm
Timmahh
Old 06-14-2006, 02:23 AM
radio_controlled_mad

excellent mod,hope you can get the master cylinder fitted
Old 06-14-2006, 11:45 AM
moneytlks01

looks exellent, one problem though, during an easy crash this weekend with one of my baja's the c-clip came off the left hub assembly permitting the wheel to come off. i think there would be some severe carnage if that was to happen with this design. just seems like something extra to bind up when the wheels come off. dont think im knocking your design, because im not i think it looks great. just a thought...
Old 06-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Timmahh
Banned

Actually with it on, it should Help with the freewheeling tire syndrom when the c clip pops as the Hub/Rotar ar held to the a arm set up. but i may be wrong, with exception to brick wall type hit, teh hose should be the first thing to break If the wheel and tire Does seperate from the car. but this is only my opinion since i dont have Eiterh. at least until UPS gets here today, then i ll have the Baja.
Timmahh
Old 06-14-2006, 03:57 PM
moneytlks01

yeah i called my hobby shop last week and he told me they recieved two in. i know how parts are kinda scarce right now so i bought two of them. i went ahead and upgraded the controllers also. so much fun, as these are my first in large scale cars but it wont be my last.

on a different note, i wonder how hard it would be to come up with a 2 speed for these? seems they run out of gear on top end. hope somebody does...
Old 06-14-2006, 07:22 PM
brice_arnold

moneytlks01-

on a different note, i wonder how hard it would be to come up with a 2 speed for these? seems they run out of gear on top end. hope somebody does...
I like your thinking. So a two speed. . . Maybe retrofit an FG or Harm setup. What can I say I don't like to reinvent the wheel just get it to go onto something different than what it was intended for.

As far as the wheel falling off this is news to me. I figure if the wheel falls off then all bets are off on what is going to happen to your car. I know that FG uses two designs to keep the front spindles on. One is the e-clip the other is a backing screw. If the wheel falling off becomes and issue then the spindle could easily be modified with a backing screw.

As far as my design goes, the rotor is floating and kept in place by the location of the caliper and pads. If the wheel were to come off no biggie. Once the spindle slides out the rotor is free to fall from the caliper. Nothing would happen to the calipers. If I were to hit a brick wall then that's my bad and I should have been driving a little better.

Incidently there really isn't any difference between my design and a majority of those used on the giant scales. My only difference is the adaptor plate.

This may be inapropriate for this forum (please let me know) but if my setup works (I'll know after testing this weekend) I was thinking of doing a production run for this adaptor kit. First run qty 100. The kit would work on botht he FG Hydro and the FG cable brakes. I would only do this if there was interest. Instead of posting here, PM me if your interested.

Cost of FG hydraulic brakes:
list $350
ebay $140-$200

Cost of FG cable brakes:
Inernet $140

Cost of Baja Cable Brakes:
Internet $276

Cost of Adaptor kit: ?
Old 06-14-2006, 11:53 PM
brice_arnold

The beauty of this car is that it that the chassis is sooo slim that's almost sexy. And the way the body just hugs the chassis and components. Unfortunately it makes it difficult to add anything to it without ruining this look. For the fornt brakes I wanted to use a thrid channel and mix the brakes on my 3PK. I was able to find a location for the additional servo that is kind of out of the way such that I don't think it will get damaged from crashes. An added bonus to the servo location is that it will be concealed without having to cut-up the body.

The master cylinder is another story. I have two options. the first is next to the gas tank. I don't really like this location because the MC sticks out from the chassis a little bit such I think it could get banged up from a side impact. I would also have to do a little trimming on the body for this location. The alternate location is towards the rear of the vehicle just in front of the right hand shock. I can't really think of anything wrong with this location. If someone can point something out to me that I'm not seeing please do. Also If you have any suggestions on other locations feel free to shout out.

Name:	Pn35531.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	477845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83319.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	477846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64695.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	477847  
Old 06-14-2006, 11:54 PM
brice_arnold

Here is the alternate location

Name:	Ge94830.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	477848  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.