Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Had enough of my baja b5

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 12:23 PM
northernchris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had enough of my baja b5

As it says sick of the thing,1 thing is for sure it isnt a patch on my protec gator.

Within only 2 tanks of proper running we ran it next to my gator (std engine modded suspension) , the gator was as quick with the std26cc cy motor. So i fiitted the 29cc cy motor only then would it stay with the gator!!!!!!![X(]

After another 2 tanks the front shock shafts snapped,rear shaft boots fell to bits and the inserts in the tyres also fell to bits!!! Pretty PISS poor i would say.

So the baja has gone, i did a deal with my local modelshop and swapped it for a new 3.3 revo and a load of new bits and bobs inc a new RB .28 for my lightning truggy.

To sum up,save your money and get a FG/Protec far cheaper,parts easy got and i would say better handling with a few susension mods.[:@][:@]

Chris
Old 06-09-2006, 12:27 PM
original.mb

Default RE: Had enough of my baja b5

it was only a matter of time now lets give it a few more moon and see what else falls of the mighty baja its all about longevity and durability thats why fg is so established. please no angry replys from baja lovers please
Old 06-09-2006, 12:33 PM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

I was wondering when the drivetrain would go under a powerfull load!! Lets gets some more real reviews out their. In person it still looks sweet!!
Old 06-09-2006, 12:37 PM
D0G

I agree Selwa, a buddy of mine Just got his baja, hasnt run it yet. Raining very hard here for last few days, but its a well designed LOOKING machine. the Body clips holding the battery box in is genious...comes out with no effort. Possibly could be a downfall in the long run, but it looks WAY nicer in person then in pics.

I cant wait to run His Baja next to my FG MT...and get VIDEO
Old 06-09-2006, 12:42 PM
original.mb

looking nice just doesn't cut the mustard lol it has to run as good as it looks. and yes i love the look of it very realistic for a dewn buggy style jam but still it has to perform as good as it looks and right no i won't say its a contender, maybe on the version 2 after 12 months we will see potential bugs fixed ? only time will tell
Old 06-09-2006, 01:16 PM
quarterscalelegends

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the baja has gone, i did a deal with my local modelshop and swapped it for a new 3.3 revo and a load of new bits and bobs inc a new RB .28 for my lightning truggy.

Chris
Why would a hobby shop trade you new stuff valued at the price of a new baja for a broken beat up baja?!?
Old 06-09-2006, 01:32 PM
badz

ORIGINAL: quarterscalelegends

Chris
Why would a hobby shop trade you new stuff valued at the price of a new baja for a broken beat up baja?!?

They wouldn't....the posters just another disgruntled FG owner trying to flame the Baja...HPI also has a outstanding customer service department and would have replaced anything that broke if it wasn't your fault.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:51 PM
quarterscalelegends

Well you never know. I just opened up and built a Tamiya midnight pumpkin that I bought in 1987 and after 6 runs the gear box busted and all the plastic body parts fell of and cracked. The cheap motor melted too. I took it to hobby people yesterday and they traded me for a HPI Baja, Revo 3.3, Tmaxx, and one of those plastic lowrider car kits that hops up and down.

Needless to say... all the hype about the midnight pumpkin is just plain not true. It could not even stay up with my 1/4 scale 55cc top fuel dragster! POS!

I think northernchris got ripped off!
Old 06-09-2006, 01:54 PM
hpiguy

ORIGINAL: badz

ORIGINAL: quarterscalelegends

Chris

They wouldn't....the posters just another disgruntled FG owner trying to flame the Baja...HPI also has a outstanding customer service department and would have replaced anything that broke if it wasn't your fault.
My guess is this is a troll from the FG factory.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps, he just changed his mind.

ORIGINAL: northernchris
As it says sick of the thing,1 thing is for sure it isnt a patch on my protec gator.
After all....

Just been out the buggy,not bad at all.Far better handling than my gator but alot slower!
I also removed the tail pipe off the exhaust made a big differance to the way the motor picked up.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_43...tm.htm#4351541

I have just fitted 29 cy into the hpi,now it does go aswell as it looks!!
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_43...tm.htm#4355668
Old 06-09-2006, 02:24 PM
hpiguy

Lies! All lies!
Old 06-09-2006, 02:33 PM
northernchris

Yes it did go alot better than stock!!!! But it should have do you not think , but to spend £700 on the baja and £200 on the 29cc it,s to much money for not alot in return apart from broken bits.

I spend alot of money at the shop i mentioned,the stuff i got in the trade would value around £500 so "an old beat up baja" eeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr no !!!!! a 5 day old baja with F**KED gators on the rear shafts,2 broken front shock rods oh and a new 29cc motor.

Chris

Old 06-09-2006, 02:33 PM
radio_controlled_mad

no body shot northernchris down when he was praiseing hpi in the other threads,now hes changed his mind or so it seems (which is irelivent) just goes to show the sad child like mentality of some members...atleast he bought it and give it ago,,,more than most - myself inc
Old 06-09-2006, 02:34 PM
northernchris

exactly
Old 06-09-2006, 02:45 PM
original.mb

guys don't take the mick out of the dude just because he has had bad experience with a ride thats over hyped anywayz. let him have his say as he did own the dam thing just didn't work out for him. remember everyones opinion is valued we are not in the school yard now so i would suggest a bit of decorum??? no wonder the mods always have to jump in on threads some of you guys a like packs of wild wolfs[X(]
Old 06-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Yes it did go alot better than stock!!!!
Faster with a larger engine--I would hope so though changing the gearing may have been easier. Either way, you already admitted that it was a better handlier than the other R/C though that is also your opinion. To me personally, however, it probably doesn't matter since we probably drive them on different types of tracks or even different types of road surfaces. In addition, just because I like or dislike something doesn't mean that someone else is also going to like it or dislike it. Personally, I think the FG Marder is freaking ugly and reminds me of some weird looking shoe or boot while the HPI Baja5B reminds me of an actual buggy--and I own lots of nitro 1/8th scale and 1/16th scale buggies (nitro, electric, and brushless electric). And since I also own lots of F1s, I'd also take an FG F1 if it didn't cost around $3K USD for an FG Comp F1 plus the electronics. Apparently, you were just lucky enough to have a LHS that took care of you and who knows, they may have figured your old Baja5B was an easy resale with a larger engine, especially since titanium shock shafts are already available.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:47 PM
tizdaz

A bit of a nightmare for you after spending that much on it

& as radio_cont said...

Some people cant help but spit there dummy out! :P
Old 06-09-2006, 02:57 PM
JQuest64

A friend of mine picked up a Baja. I like it, but I am also going to wait on one till HPI works the kinks out. He also broke a shock in the front of his.
His CVD boots have also seperated in the rear. He was a bit upset, but also realizes this is the growing pains of early adoption of a new vehicle.
The shock problem does not look like it will be an easy fix however, the first time I saw the final design of the Baja, it look suspect. Looks like my suspicions were correct.

Got to drive iot for a bit however, and it definitely has some potential. TBQH however it does not seem to be a bashing type of rig, more of a racer.
It definitely handles real nice, but really bulls its way through rough surfaces. You can see a lot of heavy hits that the bottom of the shock mount takes on the lower front arms. The only way to fix this would be a redesign.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:00 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Then again, some people don't ever try a new product, just repost what others write whether it is first hand or not, and promote their own product for whatever monetary reasons they may or may have. It also reminds me of someone else I know who talked trash about a motor only to later find out that he never tried the lower torque motor with higher gearing.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:06 PM
carpy100

believe me, uk tracks do not suit the baja.maybe us tracks are sandy or something but you will not see a baja in any national 'A' finals in the uk, imho. this is why i posed the question a while back 'what is hpi's intended market?' its still not clear to me.......
Old 06-09-2006, 03:17 PM
radio_controlled_mad

ORIGINAL: rctruckz

A bit of a nightmare for you after spending that much on it
i phoned rossendales today (biggest large scale dealers uk) for model cargo parts,i asked if they were going to stock the baja5b they said they wont stock any hpi product as merrage/mirrage??? who is the hpi distributor for hpi are a nightmare to get spare parts from...even though i do like the looks of the baja im going to have to stick with the devil i know for a few month and see how things pan out over here + they also reckon its making no great waves in europe - im talking about uk only before any flames starts,as for the bugs the slugish engine is a quick fix with a cylinder kit but the front sheared pistons shocks seem another thing...yes that is a second hand comment from a few forum posts,but thats what forums are for,,,,if i had to own everything i talk about in the last hour i would already bought a 100" plasma & a porche 4x4.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:21 PM
shackmaster

bloody heck give em a chance carpy, theyve only been on the scene for two mins , and the guy who started this thread i say , get on to hpi you will be surprised how accomadating they are, they will get you running again, give this baja a chance, i owned a 1/5th fg clone for three months and only ever got 15 mins use out of it before it broke, give theses hpis a chance then you can have a real comparison
Old 06-09-2006, 03:27 PM
northernchris

My point is to spend £900 on a car that ,at the end of the day looks pretty but can,t deliver the goods is no good to man nor beast!!! If i wanted it for looks yep it is the one to go for BUT i dont buy RC gear on looks alone it has to work and for me the Baja B5 was a BIG disapointment END OF STORY.

So i will just stick with my old" boot shaped gator" and while you are all trying to take the piss on here i will be using it around my local bashing ground as the baja owner are fitting ANOTHER set of front shock rods.[>:][>:]
Old 06-09-2006, 03:44 PM
quarterscalelegends

ORIGINAL: carpy100

believe me, uk tracks do not suit the baja.maybe us tracks are sandy or something but you will not see a baja in any national 'A' finals in the uk, imho. this is why i posed the question a while back 'what is hpi's intended market?' its still not clear to me.......
The intended market is the largest one in the world. Racing is a VERY VERY small part of the RC industry. It counts for about 10% of sales overall.

I personally was not picking on him for talkind down the baja, just very interested in this " trade " .

Why would you not take out the larger engine and keep that instead of keeping the "slow" no good engine?
Revo $530, .28 engine $160? load of new bits and bobs $100? total $790.00 vs $920 for a baja thats approx. $104 difference in dealer cost and the dealer gets a used broken buggy ?!? Just seems strange, Not really a way to run a business.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:52 PM
carpy100

just my opinion mr.master. if you buy an rc and enjoy driving it thats all that counts[8D] all i'm saying is i cant see it being a national race winner due to the size and geometry of the thing.at club level it will no doubt have a few wins in the right hands,but from some of the comments ive read people are talking of it being a serious race car, which just doesnt sit true with me

if i get proved wrong i'll buy one to race with

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.