Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Metal Gearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 07:50 PM
bigger the better

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal Gearing

Question on gearing:

Are the Fg 6431 16T and the Fg 6048 48T a pair? And would there be a spacing issue with using the CNR FG Gear Adapter with those gears? Cause when using it on my MT it seems not to mesh as well as I would like. I've been using it like this forever but it does make an unspaced noise like there is too much play in it but there is no adjustment. []
Thanks.

Heres a quick video of the spacing of the metal gears - I think this is normal, is it?
[link]http://media.putfile.com/Gears-31[/link]
Old 06-14-2006, 06:18 AM
chevyman_de

Default RE: Metal Gearing

Yes, those gears are a pair. And no, the adapter has no influence on the gear mesh, no matter who's the manufacturer. The problem is that FG gear plates have a little bit too much center-to-center distance in order to compensate for the tolerances of plastic gears. The available alloy plates have the same dimensions. The problem of the tolerances of the plastic gears has been solved, and the latest version of the plastic gear plate for the FG offroaders has the correct measurements, but there are tons of earlier plates out there...
As for now you must live with the sound, but the steel gears can take it.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Automan

What i could see is that there is no real big problem there, just maybe the sound. Just a tiny bit tighter to be the perfect mesh, as you have both steel gears, then no worries about them being damaged or something. I say, if you can live with the sound, then just drive and be happy don't worry about it.

I will probably change my alloy gear-carrier with that plastic gear to the one hobbytek has, steel gear with quite solid alu gear-carrier. I just have hold on to this setup (now using teflon bushings) cause i want a weak point.... but as strong everything else are getting on my truck, i feel i can do the switch
Old 06-14-2006, 05:55 PM
spaceboy427

anyone know if we can use the drivetrain parts of a duratrax firehammer?
the diff,and gears look identical to our fg's except for the price..there like 1/2 of what fg wants.[]
Old 06-14-2006, 05:59 PM
bigger the better

Thanks guys for the info, I went to the LHS and ya its ok, just worried over nothing.
Thanks again for your input makes all the info I got solid.