Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Decisions, Decisions

Old 06-16-2006, 10:45 AM
boilermaker13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions, Decisions

I definately want to get a gasser but I don't know which one to get. I have a Savage right now so I'm leaning more toward a buggy, like a 5B or a Marder. rather than the MT or MB. I don't want to get into FG is better or HPI is better but rather what kind of vehicle is best for my driving. I probably won't be racing on a dirt track but more like bashing in grass fields (soccer, football, etc) and some gravel lots.

So I guess my question is will the 5B or the Marder rip on grass or is the ground clearance too low? I've read that the ground clearance on these is around 2.5" which is only about 1/2" less than my Savage. What is the clearance on an MT or MB?
Old 06-16-2006, 10:54 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Decisions, Decisions

I ran mine yesterday in the yard. The grass has not been mowed in 5 or 6 days and is growing pretty fast here (central North Carolina) with all the heavy rain followed by a day of sun.

My Firehammer (FG Marder clone) had a tough time. The grass was still wet from the previous day's rain. There was a lot of wheel spin and it couldn't get a good head of steam. On other days when the grass is freshly mowed it does better.

I want more clearance on my buggy. The only way I know is to get MT tires. There was a recent video posted of a FG MT-5 just going nuts on a guy's yard. His black labrodor retreiver was trying to chase it and could not keep up.

With a Baja the clearance will be the same or lower than a Marder if I am not mistaken. The Baja tires also do not look like they would dig into the yard to get traction. Maybe the surface contact area is better on the Baja tires and makes studs unnecessary. A Baja owner that is running in grass would have to say.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:22 AM
vdub103

I would say that my marder and baja run equal on a field traction wise, they both have pros and cons though... But I think you would like whatever you get, there both a blast. If you have any specific questions ask away.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:22 AM
tizdaz

If you like tha baja over the MT, i dont know if its possible but maybe you can put bigfoot tires/wheels (those thats on the MT) onto the HPI Baja? ..like what you can do with the Marder

Im sure soon theres gunna be adaptors released that will allow FG rims to fit onto the HPI baja.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:26 PM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

Keep in mind the wheels will cost you a few hundred dollars to get a full set. If you run in heavy grass it will be tough on the engine no matter what. I ran with MT tires through a feet of grass in the winter and spring time.

Parts are always and issue. FG you will no problems getting parts. HPI it may take some time since it's new, but once it's been out for awhile I'm sure parts will be easy to come by.
Plus the HPI will be less expensive if you are starting out.

I still prefer my FG Leopard Race though.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:04 PM
original.mb

i agree with selwa you hit the nail on the head dude
Old 06-16-2006, 02:46 PM
boilermaker13

What is the ground clearance on an MT or MB Pro?
Old 06-16-2006, 05:56 PM
bigger the better

MT - 2 1/2".
Old 06-16-2006, 07:03 PM
boilermaker13

So if the Marder, Baja, and MT all have about 2.5" of ground clearance, wouldn't they perform about the same in the grass? Actually, wouldn't the Marder or Baja be better because of the lower center of gravity?
Old 06-16-2006, 07:10 PM
bigger the better

ORIGINAL: boilermaker13

So if the Marder, Baja, and MT all have about 2.5" of ground clearance, wouldn't they perform about the same in the grass? Actually, wouldn't the Marder or Baja be better because of the lower center of gravity?
From what I can tell visually, only the MT/MB are 2.5" the buggies are lower. If you where to put MT tires on the Marder then thats a different story.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:12 PM
thopper

If they all have the same ground clearence then thay all have the same center of gravity. Meassure the dia of each tire wheel combo. the difference between the diameters divided by 2 is the ground clearence. All fg have the axle ht relative to the body pan.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:05 AM
boilermaker13

What mods are needed to put MT tires on a Marder?
Old 06-17-2006, 08:05 AM
tizdaz

the buggys do have less clearance than the MT/MB's due to the size of tires.

Only mod is you would need different gearing, not too sure what gearing would be the best, sure someone here would know
Old 06-17-2006, 08:40 AM
USABaja5B

run my Baja all the time now in the grass. I can only get up to 32 miles per hour, due to the bouncing and the resistance from the grass, but its alot of fun anyway. I'll see if I can get a video tonight for you.

My Monster beetle did a little better in grass, due to the bigger engine and the much bigger tires.

Give it a few months, and you'll be able to get beigger tires for the baja. Either adapters will be available or 40 series rims, or bigger tires from HPI.

In the states, spare parts are becoming avialable now, so by the time you get your baja, they will be in stock all over.