Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Radar Gun ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Automan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar Gun ?

Does anyone know where i can get a real good reliable radar gun or lazer gun ? i thought it could be a nice thing to have to check the speed from time to time.

Would prefer as close as possible.

You can post a reply here or pm me.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:00 PM
hellya

Default RE: Radar Gun ?

try a GPS insted of a radar gun very accurate...... fits in your hand $79. - 99.

Just mount it to the vehicle it will tell you your top speed....no pointing or having to have a friend shoot the radar while you are driving you can do this all by yourself

Ebay UK

http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-etrex-GPS...QQcmdZViewItem

or use the search on www.homedepot.com ...........GPS
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37797.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	486957  
Old 07-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Automan

Thanks hellya, i will look into that one. What i was looking for was a direct feedback much like the radar gun, but i will check this gps out to, thanks.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:10 PM
hellya

the cheapest radar gun that actually works I found.... bushnell

http://cgi.ebay.com/BUSHNELL-VELOCIT...QQcmdZViewItem

For our purposes this will work, the really good ones cost $300-600

http://cgi.ebay.com/JUGS-PROFESIONAL...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-04-2006, 02:21 PM
8000ft

why not a Venom speed monitor? It's only in the 30$ range.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:36 PM
Automan

I would prefer not to mount anything to the truck.

Thanks for the links hellya, those are quite interesting... wonder if i dare to buy one used, hmmm.

8000ft, How does that venom monitor look like ? any pic ?
Old 07-04-2006, 02:52 PM
hellya

heres a link to the Venom monitor 8000 ft was talking about

http://cgi.ebay.com/Venom-Speed-Mete...QQcmdZViewItem

Looks about the same size as a failsafe

Old 07-04-2006, 03:15 PM
Automan

Yeah, i figured it would be the same size as a failsafe and therefor not in the way. Is this one using the gps to measure speed or is it something you have to adjust and calculate self before use ?? Seams like a little easy thing to have on the truck to keep track of things
Old 07-04-2006, 03:22 PM
gurumods
My Feedback: (43)

Those monitors are a pita.The gps is a good choice and very accurate.We use it on our gas boats.We can tell if our prop change helped us or not.Stick it on with velcro.Also you don't have to worry about driving in any particular direction.With a gun it gets a little dangerous as someone is going full speed at you holding it and trying to get a reading
Old 07-04-2006, 04:26 PM
ScooterTrash

Here you go Automan,[link]http://www.venom-racing.com[/link] & here [link]http://www.venom-racing.com/products/electronics/vsm/index.htm[/link][8D]

Name:	Vt58636.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	487042  
Old 07-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Automan

gurumods, thanks for the gps story, sure sounds like a good choice.

Thanks for the venom links Scooter Trash, now i understand it better.... only a simple sensor mount to the drive axels, well that wouldn't be to hard and will probably give some good reading.

Anyone have this venom speed thing installed on their bigscale and could show pictures ? or atleast tell me how it have worked out for you ?

Haven't decided witch way to go yet, with radar gun you got instant feedback but probably need help with it (should be able to read speed with radar gun both going away and coming straight at you) The gps will take some space on the truck, and not readable before you stop it and check top speed, the venom speeder is the same thing and don't know if it's as accurate or better then a gps, hmmm.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:20 PM
No Moa
My Feedback: (1)

Just toss it in ur car, drive down the highway at about 90MPH and i'm sure u'll find a radar gun real quickly.....
Old 07-04-2006, 06:27 PM
darthballs

i know where you can find a really cheap radar gun. hotwheels now makes one for $30. i saw it while walking through walmart. it says it measures up to 100 mph full scale speed
Old 07-04-2006, 06:59 PM
gurumods
My Feedback: (43)

With the gps you just pull it off and put it in another car.You can't do that with the venom cause once it is in,that's it.It stays in your car.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Automan

ORIGINAL: No Moa

Just toss it in ur car, drive down the highway at about 90MPH and i'm sure u'll find a radar gun real quickly.....
I could do that, but i would probably know that they have a radar gun before they do

With the gps you just pull it off and put it in another car.You can't do that with the venom cause once it is in,that's it.It stays in your car.
But is there a difference between the two in accuracy ?? i want to use stuff that dont lie to much

Edit: darthballs, im not after a cheap toy, i want a real good way to measure the speed of my toys and with good accuracy so i know it is the real speed and no guessing toy thingy.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:51 PM
MrMikeG

GPS is accurate, Radar is only accurate if you are traveling directly at it, or away from it, as soon as you go at an angle the readings are off. The Venom thing is an RPM indicator only, it doesn't take into account wheel spin, no more accurate than getting a tacho on your engine and doing the math. Just the Venom one will do the math for you once set correctly. Think about it, how can it tell you exact speed just from axle RPM??? What about increased tire diameter as you go faster?
Old 07-04-2006, 07:58 PM
hellya

GPS is the best way to go if you want to check your speed accuratly or only periodically.
I use it on my Gas RC boat and My RC cars....I even use it on myself when I'm snowboarding to see how fast I'm going
Old 07-04-2006, 08:02 PM
ScooterTrash

[8D] Installing the unit here->[link]http://www.venom-racing.com/pdfs/instructions/VSM_instructions_01.pdf[/link] & here->[link]http://www.venom-racing.com/pdfs/instructions/VSM_instructions_02.pdf[/link] I saw one mounted, but now I can't find it[:@]. You might have looked at the instructions allready. Have a Great Day

Name:	Fd92088.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	487172  
Old 07-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Automan

Ok, i thought that the venom could be adjusted to wheelsize etc.... if not, that thing is a waste of money, even so... wheelspin and other factors, no im staying clear of that one.

I will direct my search to a good radar gun or a tiny gps of real good quality.

Wonder if i can send info from a gps mounted on my rc directly to my gps system in my car.... will look into that. Should be easy enough.

Edit, and the same to you Scooter Trash
Old 07-04-2006, 11:36 PM
lt250dave

I had the venom unit mounted on my Losi xxx-s on road sedan and it does work as long as the tires dont grow too much. The way it works is;
*install the flying magnet on a driveline part somewhere (spur gear works best)
*install the sensor with a 1 to 3 mm gap from the flying magnet
*unplug your steering servo from the receiver and plug in the Venom speed meter, then plug your steering servo into the speed meter ouput jack
*set the vehicle on the ground (tile floor works best since you have a very good line to go off of), set the flying magnet facing up and roll the vehicle forward until the magnet makes one complete revolution.
*Measure the distance as exactly as possibly from where it started to where it stopped for one complete revolution of the magnet
*Input the distance into the Venom unit and its all set

for example my xxx-s was 4.38 inches for one complete revolution of the magnet, and with the Novak brushless system it would top out at 58mph with a good battery and it was confirmed by my buddy who is a Deputy Sherrif in the county i live in.

So from past trials i would go with the Venom or the GPS unit. the good thing about the Venom is it has a built in fail safe too in case you go out of range on those high speed runs.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:18 AM
Craps

I have a Bushnell Velocity I bought from Optics Planet for $79 that is very inaccurate. Like said earlier, you have to be in direct line of the vehicle either coming at you or going away and it is not very accurrate above 90 mph. I am using it testing with my Supercar for the World's Fastest RC Challenge July 30th at California Dragway in Fontana, CA. I do use a My-Chron4 go-kart data recorder and convert to mph from the engine rpm with the gear ratio and tire size.

I would recommend not using the cheap Bushnell radar gun and go with the Venom meter or the GPS.

Good luck!
Old 07-05-2006, 10:27 AM
ScooterTrash

Hi Automan, Look here->[link]http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?s=5bf1cda5030bf27abcc21a1868173ee3&t=173552[/link]
Old 07-05-2006, 11:15 AM
kinggeordie

try these, here are some proper radar guns

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sear...gun&category0=
Old 07-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Automan

kinggeordie, anyone special you would recommend ??
Old 07-06-2006, 12:06 AM
mkincy

i own one of the bushnell speed 2 radar guns, ive tested it with a full size car's speedometer and goten the exact same reading from the car and gun at up to 75 mph, you do have to be in a direct line with the car. ive not tested it above 90 because none of my r/c's will go anywhere near that speed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.