RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Best 2 Stroke Oil

Old 07-29-2006, 12:04 PM
ScooterTrash

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best 2 Stroke Oil

I was wandering what 2 stroke Oil yall are using, That burns the clean'est. I am using Amsoil DOMINATORâ„¢ Synthetic 2-Cycle Racing Oil at 50:1.[link]http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tdr.aspx[/link]. I get a little carbon build up ( Free Compression ). I want to stick with a Full Synthetic type[sm=thumbup.gif]. Anyway I just wanted to see who is using what?[sm=confused.gif] Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98470.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	498612  
Old 07-29-2006, 12:33 PM
Apache-

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Best 2 Stroke Oil

50:1 that is very very little...
I use a normal Shell 2 stroke synthetic oil for go karts.
Mix it 1:30 ~ 1:35 though.

How long have you been running already this 1:50 - how many litres?
Old 07-29-2006, 12:45 PM
UK Will

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just bought the best shell 2 stroke oil they sold in my local garage, it exceeds all the requirements, EC JASO etc... Been using it at about 25:1... What do people use to measure the oil etc then? I added a table spoon of oil and then filled the tank with petrol the first time! Then I added about 4 table spoons of oil to the remaining 2.3 litres of petrol I had in the jerry can since so far I haven't used a full tank yet... Probably shouldn't have done that though since I heard the oil can seperate from the petrol or something.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:10 PM
ScooterTrash

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[8D] The man I got the truck from is using that same oil he own's the Hobbie shop, & that is what it say's on the bottle 50:1. I have ran maybe two gallon's of fuel or 7.57 liter's. You can read about the oil mix on the link from the first post or here->[link]http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tdr.aspx[/link] again. Thanks,
Old 07-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Madmann135

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[link=http://www.amsoil.com/images/2cycle_chart.gif]Amsol 2-cycle oil recomendations[/link]

I just read that list and considering the gas engines are modified Scooter engines I would suggest you give Saberâ„¢ Professional Synthetic 100:1 Pre-Mix 2-Cycle Oil (ATP) a try. The oil you suggested is very good on the list but the oil I suggested is rated as Exelent and more qualified to be used in said applications. Also a 50:1 mix is a little lean on oil I would say if you want to go lean go with a 40:1 or 32:1 mix. Though oil may rob you of a little performance it is the lifeblood of the engine and therefore must not be skimped on.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:54 PM
bigger the better

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Madmann135

[link=http://www.amsoil.com/images/2cycle_chart.gif]Amsol 2-cycle oil recomendations[/link]

I just read that list and considering the gas engines are modified Scooter engines I would suggest you give Saberâ„¢ Professional Synthetic 100:1 Pre-Mix 2-Cycle Oil (ATP) a try. The oil you suggested is very good on the list but the oil I suggested is rated as Exelent and more qualified to be used in said applications. Also a 50:1 mix is a little lean on oil I would say if you want to go lean go with a 40:1 or 32:1 mix. Though oil may rob you of a little performance it is the lifeblood of the engine and therefore must not be skimped on.
Been using Saber Pro at 25-30:1 since new with no problems.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:28 PM
ScooterTrash

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[8D]Hi bigger the better, From what can understand The oil U R using recomend's 100:1 but U R running a mix od between 40:1 to 32:1! So with the oil I am using it recomend's 50:1 so I should run a mix of 32:1 to25:1. I talked to some of the mechanics at the M/C shop and they said that a mixture with to much Oil will cause the engine to run hotter. Now I am more [sm=confused.gif] Than before!
Old 07-29-2006, 07:57 PM
Madmann135

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the comment of more oil the more heat does raise a few questions.

It is said that oil is how to cool an engine from inside, the better the oil the less friction there is and therefore the less heat.
Now withNitro engines Castor oil protects against friction better and carries some of the heat with it out of the exhaust.

One could say that more oil increases heat but then Oil also helps cool the engine. It must be the lean setting of the needles as the oil content in the fuel is inreased.

Now with my limited knowledge of engines I would think that more oil to a degree of safety should in Theory help reduce engine temptures.

But I'm a high quality oil kind of person. Oil keeps the parts of the engine from burning out, being destroyed and such. With my nitro engines I'm always adding more castor and synthedic oils to my fuel to help keep teptures in check from my heavy throttle finger.

Though my limited field of knowledge is on fuel burn and oil quality I must say The oils you use and how much oil you use does dictate the way you can drive your vehicles. Be it conservative or run them into the ground and expect them to work when your done.

I say Oils is the one thing you should do your homework on because they can mean the diffrence between a few runs or an engine that last longer than any part of the vehicle.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:15 AM
bigger the better

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ScooterTrash

[8D]Hi bigger the better, From what can understand The oil U R using recomend's 100:1 but U R running a mix od between 40:1 to 32:1! So with the oil I am using it recomend's 50:1 so I should run a mix of 32:1 to25:1. I talked to some of the mechanics at the M/C shop and they said that a mixture with to much Oil will cause the engine to run hotter. Now I am more [sm=confused.gif] Than before!
Ya, I just went off the recommendation chart figured since scooters use somewhat of the same engines - The back of the bottle does indicate in some applications you will need to use richer mix ratios. I don't know, I bet if you where to use any high grade oil it would work.

Name:	Db84321.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	499123  
Old 07-30-2006, 11:56 AM
kinggeordie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

32:1 ive had no problems using castrol
Old 07-30-2006, 12:20 PM
ScooterTrash

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[:-] Thanks Yall bigger the better & Madmann135, I guess I am going to try a Mix of 40:1 instead of 50:1. I wish I had a Temp gauge then I could see if the diffirent Mix's make any diffirence it the Temp's. I have been using the DOMINATORâ„¢ Synthetic 2-Cycle Racing Oil that recomends a mix of 50:1. Here is the link->[link]http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tdr.aspx[/link]. I am allways open to any sugestions!

Name:	He97182.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	499142  
Old 07-30-2006, 12:44 PM
bigger the better

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ya, 50:1 I think is lean but 40:1 and under can't be too bad, the instruction manual for the DTX FH says to go with 25:1 then switch to 40:1 and The Zen says 25:1. Who knows. I think your safe somewhere between!
Old 07-30-2006, 08:04 PM
JRexA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Start by reading the "rc bugman" Oil Test summary
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_26..._1/key_/tm.htm

Gives both answers and raises new questions.

Some Tuners of aircraft Zenoahs reccomend 6-7% oil for breakin and 3-4% for running. I don't know why they recommend 6-7% if more oil means more heat.....
Old 07-30-2006, 10:48 PM
Earth Surfer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How much oil a engine needs is pretty much dependent on the RPM a engine makes. The higher the RPM, the more oil it should have generally. Thats why Zen suggests 25:1 I am sure. I run 28:1 with Maxima Castor 927. I allways liked castor oils, but in the old days they could get pretty gummy (and actually gum a ring in a piston groove). But this oil is a castor/synthetic blend, and runs pretty clean with good jetting and fuel mix. This oil has a high flash point compared to a lot of other oils, and I think it can handle the heat a bit better than most. But that is just my opinion. Oil is a personal preference, and there are a lot of good oils out there. It seems, when you find a oil you like, you tend to stick with it.

Here is a neat little measuring cup that measures any ratio you want for 1, 1.5, 2, and I think 2.5 gallons. Liters may be on there too, I am not sure. I would not mix without it.

http://www.davesmotors.com/cgi-bin/s...9247fa14dd4780
Old 07-31-2006, 03:53 AM
Mouton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I run Shell Ultra Advance 2 stroke fully synthetic @ 1:25.

ScooterTrash, why read what the oil manufacturer says when they don't know that you will be using it in an RC-car? 4 % is what Zenoah recommends. Many go for 3 %. Since the load is higher off road than on road I prefeer to stick with 4 %.

Fuel used is 95 oct alkylat gasoline.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:07 AM
Randog71

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I run the Honda GN-2 motorcycle oil.I work in a motorcycle dealership on the weekends and this oil was highly recommended by some people that I work with in the service deparment. And these guy's are very smart when it comes to 2-cycle engines.I was also told not to use a full synethitc oil at first the oil can over lubricate and not let the piston rings seat properly and can also glaze the cylinder wall.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:27 AM
Timmahh
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

my Berg onroad with the Boss 23cc is recomended at 50:1. it is a matched, ported and polished reed carb 23cc motor. so its not a run af the mill 23cc.
Timmahh
Old 08-01-2006, 02:22 AM
Earth Surfer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Timmahh

my Berg onroad with the Boss 23cc is recomended at 50:1. it is a matched, ported and polished reed carb 23cc motor. so its not a run af the mill 23cc.
Timmahh
I don't think I would run 50:1 if the engine is making over--just a guess--10,000 RPM. But that is just me.
On the other end of the spectrum--Many of the boat guys run 16:1 in their G260's. They swear it makes more power because of better ring seal (I think they just have a hard time putting the nitro down--and they are not sure why their glow plug sparks---just kidding). I remember reading a test years ago, that anything thicker than 32:1 really makes no difference on ring seal. That was on larger engines though. I assume that smaller engines may need more oil---but of course, they rev higher also. These RC piston speeds are really quite fast.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:42 AM
J_D

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

10k rpm lol... its not a whipper snipper... try 19.5k RPM

less oil = more power = less engine life. and vice versa, (with limitations)

but also remember the boat guys have watercooled engines which behave slightly differently.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:34 AM
Automan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im using Castrol best racing oil, but im going over to Redline's best racing oil... probably will stick with that brand after what i heard about it from pro racers, it's a littlebit more expensive, but really worth it if i would go by what i heard.... i wanna try it out so bad, have 2bottles sitting here waiting
Old 08-01-2006, 04:56 AM
J_D

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i try not to follow racers :P

cos most of the time they want max max max performance even if it dramatically reduces engine life

but thats just me
Old 08-01-2006, 05:41 AM
Automan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes i know J D and i use my own common sense and do not believe everything i hear, just that they have some good advices from time to time that are worth a try... as this Redline oil is a real high quality oil, so im looking forward to trying it out and will probably stick with it.

btw, are you happy with your latest Jetpro + big engine setup J D ? Any vidz ?
Old 08-01-2006, 05:45 AM
J_D

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

jetpro is awesome no vids coz i'm usually on my own :P maybe in the near future though.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:53 AM
Automan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sound great, i love the sound of my Jetpro... performance is not to bad either looking forward to your vidz J D [sm=thumbup.gif]

Must find more time so i can use my hot bigfoot... been a long time since last time i drove it [] I will soon go craaaaaaazy [sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=bananahead.gif] if i dont use it.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:56 AM
carpy100

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

castrol A747. semi castor/semi synthetic.
the most popular choice among racers.
ian oddies choice,his motors run to around 24000rpm with his ECUs fitted!!!
and it smells great

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service