Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG Layshaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 08:39 AM
clink69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FG Layshaft

I am tired of have my layshaft gear fall off the end. I have it all apart and am trying to drill some pits for the grub screws to set in so the gear can't slide off the end. Every drill I have tried will not go into this steel. I am using a drill press with high speed drill bits.. Any thoughts on what drill bit or brinding bit might go into this layshaft steel????

thanx Chris
Old 07-30-2006, 08:51 AM
frumpy

Default RE: FG Layshaft

Hi clink,If it is a hardened shaft,and it sounds like it is,you'll need carbide drill bits.When you use them in the drill press don't run them at high speed.Go slowly
Old 07-30-2006, 09:09 AM
J_D

yer man, u need the correct drill bit, and it will go thru it like butter

i had grub screw issues on my old fg clone, drilled a hole right thru it and ran a pin thru it to hold the gear on it. worked perfectly.

also check ur large engine mount, i eventually found out why i had grub screw issues was a broken mount, so have a good look, especially if u still have the plastic mounts.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:21 AM
pilotjohn

Can you just grind a flat spot on the shaft for the set screw to set in?
Old 07-30-2006, 11:31 AM
clink69

ORIGINAL: frumpy

Hi clink,If it is a hardened shaft,and it sounds like it is,you'll need carbide drill bits.When you use them in the drill press don't run them at high speed.Go slowly

I got Cobalt bits (Rigid Brand; for stainless and armored plating), Are they going to be good enough? I couldn't find Carbide...
Old 07-30-2006, 11:53 AM
frumpy

I think they will work.Just run them at a low rpm so you won't burn the bit
Old 07-30-2006, 08:20 PM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

You should be able to find carbide at any hardware store ..look for masonry drill bits there carbide tipped and change pully too lowest speed and take time ..
ORIGINAL: clink69

ORIGINAL: frumpy

I got Cobalt bits (Rigid Brand; for stainless and armored plating), Are they going to be good enough? I couldn't find Carbide...
Old 07-30-2006, 08:40 PM
J_D

lol , btw, i drilled right thru my shaft with a hand-held drill, with the shaft in a vice, and just went str8 thru it
Old 07-31-2006, 01:32 PM
clink69

Well I think I got it now, thanks for all the help. I gave up on the Cobalt bits, broke one and the others just spin. [&o] Waste of $. So I got out the trusty Dremel and a metal cutting disc and cut a slot in the shaft. Went thru like butter,..Seems to be holding up so far, Now the wheel hub is spinning... argh!

C
Old 07-31-2006, 05:36 PM
J_D

gotta love grub screws....
Old 07-31-2006, 05:43 PM
bigger the better

ORIGINAL: clink69

Well I think I got it now, thanks for all the help. I gave up on the Cobalt bits, broke one and the others just spin. [&o] Waste of $. So I got out the trusty Dremel and a metal cutting disc and cut a slot in the shaft. Went thru like butter,..Seems to be holding up so far, Now the wheel hub is spinning... argh!

C
File them down flat! worked for me.
[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4281099/anchors_4281326/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4281326[/link]