Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

broke pull start rope

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 11:34 PM
outlawti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broke pull start rope

i broke the pull start rope and i have no time to look at it until this weekend is this an easy fix or no. It just look like the end of the rope came off.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:52 PM
Timmahh
Banned

Default RE: broke pull start rope

usually this is pretty easy, but the biggest pita is the recoil spring, be very careful when taking it apart so the spring to pop out and bite you. remove each piece slowly and you should be ok. if the spring pops out, you can get it back in but is a *****. sometimes a local lawn and garden shop can rewind it for you for 5 to 10 bux if you have a problem with it.
gl
Timmahh
Old 08-09-2006, 12:47 AM
J_D

yer just take off the 4 screws, and thats all, u probably wont need to undo the main screw in the middle to re string it. so u dont have to worry about the string popping out.

and if u need replacemnt string just goto a hardware store and ask for venetian blind string, its a bit thinner but really strong, cos most hardware store wont have these strings, they'll only have the bigger thicker lawn mower string.... or goto a blinds shop
Old 08-09-2006, 10:46 AM
UK Will

One of the screws is missing from my pull start, dunno how long it's been like that, possibly since I got it, but lately the pull start hasn't been held together properly and I've had to take it apart and put it back together again a couple of times (because I pulled it and it didn't recoil, though the lack of a screw seemed ok, though not ideal for a bit, I could tell it wasn't quite right, but it still recoiled ok)...

Dunno which hole would be best to omit a screw from, but the other thing I want advice on is where I can get a replacement screw from and what to ask for, would a DIY store have the right one?
Old 08-09-2006, 10:58 AM
radio_controlled_mad

i think there just normal machine threads on the pull start cover,your local diy store should carry them but they will be zinc or steel - silver in colour as opposed to black (depends if you fussy),you can get a full fg screw kit which is always handy for about £7.50
Old 08-09-2006, 05:46 PM
J_D

i think its just an M5 screw. cost about 1 cent
Old 08-11-2006, 10:55 AM
UK Will

I took one of the screws and I think it's actually an M4, so good job I checked! The M4 seems to fit fine even though it was 5mm longer (shortest I could get).

I still can't get it to start though! The recoil works, winding the pull start back, but most of the time there's either no resistance or I just hear a metal on metal sound, only about 10% of the time does it sound like it's actually trying to start, so I gave up. The recoil mechanism is in the engine, yet for some reason it seems when I pull the pull start it's not turning the thing that'd start the engine, I thought if the recoil was happening it'd be hooked up to start properly...

I don't get it!
Old 08-11-2006, 11:48 AM
D0G
My Feedback: (1)

When you pull on the starter is the catch comming out that catches the flywheel? That is usually the problem that people mention and is discussed in a ton of other threads involving "starter covers" If when you pull the starter there is no resistance at all, then I would believe thats the "Catch" ( I cant think of its proper name.) on the starter, usually just spraying some WD40 or other kinds of cleaners in there will make it work, until you get more dirt in it..lol DUST is all it takes to make the starter not work proper.

take the starter housng off, pull on the rope, something should come out at you..very noticable, if it doesnt come out or is broken...thats your issue.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:53 AM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

You may have brokemn the plastic starter rachet. When the pullstart is pulled to hard, they tend to crack then eventually break. IF you need to repalce it get the steel one and you will never have to worry again.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:56 AM
D0G

THATS the proper name..haha...Man that was buggin me..ya, check that thing..lol But if you do take it off, be sure to remove it slowly and pay attention as the coil/spring in behind will come loose and is a pain in the butt to put back together.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:01 AM
UK Will

I got sick of carrying my MT down stairs and outside only for it not to start and then having to carry it back again, so yesterday I tried to start it inside, and of course it started pretty easily. So I quickly hit the stall button, carried it outside and tried to start it again and the pull start jammed! Damn thing.

But at least it seems safe to assume it's just the pull start playing up now... I also realised when the pull start jams I can free it by pulling it some more today, which is something. The plastic doesn't seem to be broken, but there's a metal washer with a rectangular piece of metal underneath that's supposed to spin the plastic ratchet when you pull the cord, but sometimes it comes out and quite often the ratchet doesn't mesh with the flywheel when I pull it...

I mean I usually seem to have to turn it on its side so it'll mesh with it at all, relying on gravity to make the ratchet pop out rather than the design of the thing... So do you reckon it just needs cleaning or replacing or fiddling with the screw on the spring or what? I'm about ready to give up with it and either buy a replacement pull start or a plane starter like Badz suggested in another thread.

Though I'd be worried if I bought a replacement pull start I'd have similar problems if I didn't attach it right or something, especially if it was a second hand one and I haven't found anywhere that sells new ones.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:20 AM
frumpy

Hey Outlaw,you can get the pull start assy. from here www.towerhobbies.com for about $22 USD.I'm sure there are other places but tower seems to have the best prices on alot of stuff.btw it is for a firehammer but has a zenoah engine also.Just do a search for firehammer on thier site
Old 08-15-2006, 09:21 AM
D0G

Just clean it Will. I always have a can of WD40 with me when I go out. Dont even have to take it off of the truck, just spray it around the ratchet. And look at one of those outwear covers for the starters..lol.
I have amakeshift cover and have yet to have it stick.

Your description is bang on.
The plastic doesn't seem to be broken, but there's a metal washer with a rectangular piece of metal underneath that's supposed to spin the plastic ratchet when you pull the cord, but sometimes it comes out
Alittle Dirt gets mixed in with the lube and stops the ratchet from working proper.
Just spray it.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:46 AM
Genesis_twin

Actually I think it's called a pawl
[link=http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product2.html]per Dave's discount motors[/link]

I've read that you should use a dry lubricant like graphite powder. Also you can get a filter cover for the starter housing made by Outerwears. [link=http://www.davesmotors.com/store/rcstarters.html]http://www.davesmotors.com/store/rcstarters.html[/link]
Old 08-15-2006, 09:57 AM
J_D

in my FG list, its called a ratchet
Old 08-15-2006, 07:05 PM
UK Will

Well I've sprayed it with WD40, the fly wheel and the inside of the pull start and will try it out tomorrow, so fingers crossed! The bits where I sprayed look remarkably clean now, seems strange to think that a spray could clean stuff so well with no need for any elbow grease!
Old 08-16-2006, 07:46 PM
UK Will

Well, I sorted the pull start, turned out the screw needed tightening to hold it all together properly, but it still won't start... I suppose I might have flooded the engine, can't think what else it might be, though the fuel in the tank's been in there a while and I've heard the petrol and oil can seperate... but it started the other day, so I've probably been priming it too much.