Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Petrol to Nitro?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 04:33 PM
BUG!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petrol to Nitro?

I have heard of people going from nitro to petrol,but does anyone go petrol to nitro?
My son and I have FG Monster beetle, HPI Rush Evo and Traxxas Rustler, but seem to have more fun with the nitro's :
Not sure if to sell FG and get a couple of Sav's/ T maxx's
What do you guys think?
Old 08-09-2006, 04:37 PM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Petrol to Nitro?

Do what ever you feel and are happy with , i myself don't miss nitro one bit ! constant tuning and piston sleeve replacements and motors !
So not one person will have the same answer you need to do whats best for you'reself
Good luck with you're choice !
ORIGINAL: BUG!

I have heard of people going from nitro to petrol,but does anyone go petrol to nitro?
My son and I have FG Monster beetle, HPI Rush Evo and Traxxas Rustler, but seem to have more fun with the nitro's :
What do you guys think?
Old 08-09-2006, 05:22 PM
darthballs

you should post this in the general section because if you post it this section or a nitro section the opinions will be baised.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:38 PM
J_D

no ur not allowed to goto nitro once u've had petrol, i'm pretty sure the law forbids that....

Old 08-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Mike@Accurate

I have fooled with this. All of the hoses, carb diaphragms etc have to be changed over to something alcohol safe. Silicone vs Tygon hose. Walbro has alcohol carb parts. I replaced the spark plug with a home-made glow plug (silver soldered into a gutted plug's thread) . Nitro carries oxygen in it, it is hard to get any kind of idle. Alcohol has a lower btu than gas, you need to richen the carb a good bit (30%ish). The carb's idle circuit could be tweaked to move less fuel or cut off more air to help with idle. I did a 22cc weed eater (Echo) for some bench testing/fooling around. You can loose the flywheel and ignition, but you'll need a fan (I fool with boats, if it had worked better, I'd have water cooled it) . I had good luck with straight alky in a boat with no cooling, alcohol runs that much cooler. I would try to get one running on alky first, then inch up the nitro 'till it gets finicky. Keep the spark ignition. Untill you get the nitro content up, it will be ok. If you get to wanting more nitro you'll have to find a way to adjust timing (retard?) or go glow. And for the nay-sayers (obviously just don't get it), nitro is a huge power adder. It will be fun. Maybe hard-on-the-equipment fun though. MIKE
Old 08-09-2006, 06:43 PM
q8murder

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
***??

i think he ment nitro rc cars
Old 08-09-2006, 06:46 PM
J_D

yea... u can run alchohol in our engines, and nitro as well with some modifiactions.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:00 PM
q8murder

nitro as in the same nitro i use in my revo?? how?? do i mix any oil with it?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:12 PM
J_D

i think the nitro u use in ur revo already has oil in it

but i dunno the exact mods needed, probably different carb, and fuel lines, and well as engine timing adjustment.

hell, fill up ur tank and see what happens
Old 08-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Mike@Accurate

Oil is another good point. There is alot more of it in fuel for glow engines, no rings in them and such. If you can find the oil content of some 25-40% glow fuel you can use this info to make it ~32:1 by adding straight methanol. This also gets the overall nitro content down to something managable. Also, oils designed for petro fuel usually don't mix with the alky. I used Klotz Be-Nol. Castor based and mixes with gas or alcohol.

Oh and q8murder,

" ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
****??

i think he ment nitro rc cars".

no poop.
Enjoy, MIKE
Old 08-09-2006, 09:41 PM
NewKid
My Feedback: (1)

I like both but i think i'd prolly stay petrol cause it's just too darn cool....i still have a slew of nitro and electric but i am just glad to own one petrol powered one....also do what makes you happy...
Old 08-09-2006, 10:29 PM
q8murder

whats the difrence in running petrol and nitro performance wise??
Old 08-09-2006, 11:47 PM
NewKid

well nitro requires more tuning and last less average time being around 7-10 minutes

Petrol runs around 45 minutes to an HR and well require larger areas but they're both great....
Old 08-10-2006, 12:08 AM
Dannn

use an alcohol carb, and a glow plug off of a diesel engine...
Old 08-10-2006, 12:49 AM
q8murder

why will i be gong from 45 min run time to 7-10 min new kid??
Old 08-10-2006, 01:38 AM
badz

ORIGINAL: BUG!

What do you guys think?

HPI Savage is a great truck....give one a try...I won't recommend a T-Maxx(2.5) cause mine does nothing but break bulkheads and control arms, some people though have no issue's with them mine just seems jinxed. Revo is great for extreme bashing also...backflips and so on.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:34 AM
darthballs

ORIGINAL: q8murder

bigger gas tanks. and nitro doesn't always require tuning. my os v-spec runs like an electric it has never flamed out (with the exception of when i started it backwards) and it holds a tune all day long. nitro cars also tend to be considerably more nimble and faster in most cases. large scale is very cool and has many strong points. but i would still say nitro.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:38 AM
badz

ORIGINAL: darthballs

bigger gas tanks. and nitro doesn't always require tuning. my os v-spec runs like an electric it has never flamed out (with the exception of when i started it backwards) and it holds a tune all day long. nitro cars also tend to be considerably more nimble and faster in most cases. large scale is very cool and has many strong points. but i would still say nitro.
Well said!
Old 08-10-2006, 10:55 AM
tizdaz

im kinda in the same boat atm ^^

i have an FG MB Pro, great truck/model but there are a few things i dont like about them compared to nitro...

Weight! ...along with the size comes the downside of the weight, i didnt realise how heavy these things are, if your like me who walks to alot of places, weight becomes an issue!

Price, The price for large scale models (imo) as damn good, around £500 for the actual model which i think is good, then theres radio gear etc, I paid just short of £850 for my setup & i think it was well worth it considering the size & quality of these things. However the downside is hop-ups, imo the price of hop-ups & some spares for large scale is way over the top compared to nitro models & this is what has mostly lead me to think about selling my FG. eg: If i wanted a new body im looking at about £70-80 whereas a 1/8 body is about £15, a new set of tires for my FG is about £150 as id need to buy new rims too, for 1/8 its no where near that price, then theres the alloy hop-ups which some cost more than i wish to mention!

Performance wise a large scale with a tuned pipe is the dogs bo**ox! ...but nitro (imo) is alot more snappier/responsive. Theres alot of power in large scale but i think large scale comes into there own for the torque, the power is excellent.

Im thinking of getting an LST2 if i sell my FG, for just short of £500 the stock LST2 comes with many hopped-up parts, dual steering servos & throttle servo & in future if i want to hop-up my LST or try different bodys it will cost me a fraction of the price than it would for my FG.

But the thing i miss most about nitro's, is bashing...ive been many places with my FG & at times i wish i had a nitro as some of the jumps ive wanted to do i wouldnt dare do with my FG incase summit breaks which would prob cost alot to get sorted, & to hop it up to be a propper basher would cost £££'s & even then i still would think twice about doing certain jumps.

Dont get me wrong, ive had good times with my FG & chances are if funds werent really an issue id stick with it, but as it is, because of the weight & price of large scale im now thinking of going back to nitro.

I was in doubts when i got my FG weather or not to get an LST2 instead, but i went for FG, i dont regret it, as ive been there done that & know what its like & ive had fun & its been an experiance, maybe in future i may get another but for time being its prob gunna be nitro where it wont cost me an arm & a leg to have the model how i want it
Old 08-10-2006, 11:54 AM
Timmahh
Banned

DarthBalls, while i agree with pretty much everything your saying, When YOU get a change to drive the HPI Baja, take it!!! you will be amazed at how agile and how much control you get from it. its truely a great and capible 1/5th. its hard to argue form 28.00/gallon to 4.50/gallon and 50 minute+ runtimes with a gasser to 15 minutes or so with a nitro. im betting you will be totally amazed, and might even find yourself rewriting your last line. dont get me wrong the nitros are a blast, but once i got the baja, nitro for me is in the back of my mind.
Timmahh
Old 08-10-2006, 01:06 PM
q8murder

i know i have over 12 nitro rc cars and i ment running nitro fuel in my large scale fg

ORIGINAL: badz

ORIGINAL: darthballs

Well said!
Old 08-10-2006, 01:08 PM
q8murder

what i hate about nitros are that they are almost the same price as large scale
Old 08-10-2006, 01:10 PM
radio_controlled_mad

if it wasnt for nitro i would of never gone petrol,they have there place but mine sat on the shelf for ages then was sold once i got my 1st large scale
Old 08-10-2006, 02:54 PM
darthballs

ORIGINAL: Timmahh

DarthBalls, while i agree with pretty much everything your saying, When YOU get a change to drive the HPI Baja, take it!!! you will be amazed at how agile and how much control you get from it. its truely a great and capible 1/5th. its hard to argue form 28.00/gallon to 4.50/gallon and 50 minute+ runtimes with a gasser to 15 minutes or so with a nitro. im betting you will be totally amazed, and might even find yourself rewriting your last line. dont get me wrong the nitros are a blast, but once i got the baja, nitro for me is in the back of my mind.
Timmahh
i would absolutely love a baja. they really do look like a blast. and the gas price is great. actually the way electrics have been going lately my money is on them. i was just at a race this last weekend where brushless mt's were running with nitro truck in a 15 minuite a main and let me tell you the electrics put a beatdown on the nitros. they looked like they could have gone another 30 min.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:58 PM
tizdaz

what i hate about nitros are that they are almost the same price as large scale
true, but then most hop-ups for nitros are a fraction of what the cost is for large scale ..if hop-ups were cheaper for large scale than what they are, i bet the large scale market would be as popular as there lil bro's!

the only thing i dont like about nitro's is run time but thats only because i now own a large scale, before hand re-fueling every 15 min didnt bother me at all

But i still prefer large scale, just a shame they so fkin heavy!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.