Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Fouled plug

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 03:46 PM
jpachill1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fouled plug

Looks like I oil fouled my plug. Must be because of the mixture that was recommended for the fh. The biggest thing that I am finding is that these plugs are rare. I am trying to replace the NGK cmr7h that came stock with another or an equal. All the auto places around don't have anything, so I had to order it and it will be in tomorrow morning at my local advanced auto. All the lawn mower places are closed today and will not be open till the morning anyway. That is not that bad, but I didn't realize how rare this size is. So I ordered a couple as a back up since I hate down time! I also called both LHS to let them know they should stock a couple since they are selling the fh and 5b now. The one LHS told me that they have sold a couple of the gas engines but never had anyone ask for a plug. I told them that eventually they will! I was even surprise that pepboys didn't have it, considering they sell all those little scooters and things like that.

Moral of the story, have a couple of spare plugs, this size is rare!
Old 08-20-2006, 03:51 PM
bryan70546
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Fouled plug

you could allways clean it up with a wire brush and a little gas.worked for me in the pass if you need to get out of a bind.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:55 PM
jpachill1

I have tried a little emory paper, but not enough spark. But I kid you not, just as I was thinking of trying to really clean the crap out of it I saw your post come up. I am going to go do that a while just to see if I can get a little run time today[]
Old 08-20-2006, 04:09 PM
bryan70546

good luck hope it works.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:02 PM
jpachill1

Yup, just what I thought, not going to work. The plug is to ruined. Oh well. [&o]
Old 08-20-2006, 05:15 PM
bryan70546

oh well we tried.[&o]
Old 08-21-2006, 01:28 AM
Earth Surfer

Yea--it's a crap shoot to try to clean them. What happens with a fouled plug is, it is not running hot enough to burn off the deposits. (jetting is usually to rich). The deposits then give a easier path for the spark to conduct to the cylinder head, instead of jumping the gap. IMO, adjusting your HS jet so the plug is a light brown color after a full throttle run (stopping fast, so lower RPM's do not darken the plug, and give you a false reading) is a good and safe way to go. A spark plug could last you over a year if the jetting is good.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:36 AM
J_D

yep they should last a while, I've had my current plug for about 3-4 months so far and still going strong
Old 08-21-2006, 05:34 AM
wayneuk

found some cheap cmr7h plugs
[link=http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_cross.asp?pid=cmr7h]cmr7h spark plugs [/link]
Old 08-21-2006, 07:46 AM
jpachill1

Yeah, I have never fouled a plug so fast before. This is only a week old but like I said it was oil fouled, so my mix was way to rich. I am going to lean the mix a little today.

Like I said, these plugs are hard to come by so you might want to have one or two around in the tack box.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:46 AM
amitysanimal

I use the Champion RZ7C plug and found it after a LOT of searching the local auto parts store. Nobody could find the NGK or Champion plugs for me. Don't ask for a Champion RZ7C, ask for Champion number 965, 965 is the Champion stock number I guess.

I have had really good luck running these plugs, only gone through 2 of them and that was due to breaking them during nasty rollovers. The MT body doesn't offer anywhere near the protection the MB body does. I mounted my MB body back on for when I run, much tougher and offers better protection.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:57 PM
R.Robinson
Banned

Spark plugs rarly go bad.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:03 PM
jpachill1

ORIGINAL: R.Robinson

Spark plugs rarly go bad.
Roger That, they hardly do.
I just want those who haven't had the glorious time of trying to find a plug to know, they are not common, and should order a couple because no one likes down time. Especially on a beautiful Saturday afternoon when you had plans to run at a great new place and run all the way there only to find you start and in about 2 minutes, you stall, and nothing after that!!![>:]
By the way, got my new plugs today and one pull had a start. Boy I felt like I was suffering from withdraws, because I couldn't run my car thank goodness that is over!