Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

The easy way in

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 01:34 PM
trevorspecracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The easy way in

Hey there im trying to get into 1/5th scale to tell you the truth i know nothing about the large scale rc's.. I have been racing nitro/electric studium trucks for six years now. I got myself a savage and made it bigger and its still not big enough soo im looking at getting a 1/5 scale. looking at the price is pretty scary i dont want to buy a car that sucks because i wasn't informed. so i have been looking at the fgs and there selling for like a $1000 and then it goes down from there to the smartech buggy thats $700 so my question is what are the pros and cons of the cheaper versions, and the fg's? and how should i go about getting into 1/5 should i spend the extra cash and go with the $1,000 model or work with the cheaper version ? im currently selling my r/c collection to get the funds for my 1/5 scale so my buget kinda depends on what i make off my cars. any help would be great thanks trevor
Old 09-01-2006, 01:44 PM
carpy100

Default RE: The easy way in

look down a few posts matey. theres already a couple of people asking the same questions on this page alone!!
Old 09-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Timmahh
Banned

Trevor, if you ll spend a few hrs in this forum hear and just scroll thru the posts page by page, you ll find all your answers within 3 pages i bet. you ll get all the info on the differances between them, what is good, what is bad, where the best value for your dollar is at. you ll also find all sorts of issues and problematic items between them all also. essencially you ll need to remember gas and mix is 4.00/gal and nitro is 25.00 per gal. also remember that these engines, with just a little bit of care and mantenance, can last for 15 to 20 Gallons and with a 50.00 rebuild kit, will be ready for another 15 to 20 gallons. same ideas apply to nitro with some variations.

1. 1/5ths DO NOT handle like a 1/8th or 1/10th.
2. 1/5th DO NOT require continues monitoring of your fuel levels, temps, needles, ect.
3. 1/5th DO NOT cost as much as most people think.
4. 1/5th DO NOT blow a glow plug every 3 or so tanks a fuel at 5 bux each or OWB every 7 tanks at 15.00 each.
5. 1/5ths DO handle more realisticly
6. 1/5ths DO need maintenance and occasional repair. user/model/brand dependant.
7. 1/5th ARE much easier to work on for the most part. Parts are only a click away if your lhs dont handle them. and they are probably cheaper too.
8. 1/5th ARE a hell of alot more fun as you spend more time running, not tuning fixing, ****ing around with this or that.
9. 1/5ths Run apporximatly 45 minutes to one hour on a tank of gas.
10. WHO CARES 1/5ths ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

with that being said, there are quite a few offerings as to type style price durabliitly upgrades hop ups. it will depend on your style

ie, if your off road and you want 4x4, then its a MCD. its your offroad choice for 4x4.
but if your ok with 2wd, then pick one, HPI, FG, HARM, BERGONZONI, MCD, Duratrax, Traxxas Smartech. ect....

now if your in on roads then its Harm Bergonzoni, FG,
if your froggy and you want an F1 its a bit more limited and get ready to give up your left nut and your first born for a fully rtr F1, but ill have one. maybe next year.

other than that you just need to spend a few hrs reading. you ll get good info. dont mind the occasional flameings you ll run across. read the facts and stick to those and you ll get your answers and be able to make up your mind.

hth
Timmahh
Old 09-01-2006, 10:13 PM
jpachill1

Well, to answer your question. All of the 1/5 are great vehicles and you can't go wrong. If you want to go with a clone (Firehammer, and some others are a clone of the marder) you will do just fine.
I have a Firehammer that I bought new rtr for about $700. It's a great vehicle and I love it. Then you have the fg's which are great, but I didn't want to spend that much since I can get it in a clone. Then for the high 9's you can get a baja. Great vehicle that keeps getting better as they respond to the feed back from the current owners. The baja is fairly new, so there have been some issues but nothing that can't be fixed and nothing that makes it a bad vehicle. And yes, if you have done any reading you have read about the customer service, which is excellent, of course until the thread went array!
MCD is nice, 4x4 buggy that gives you the best of both worlds. It's pricey and parts, from what I have read, are a little hard right now. Just like the baja, the MCD is fairly new as well so I can only imagine that there are a couple of bugs to work out, but I don't know for sure. There is also a 4x4 truck that is sweet, but it to is pricey.
Figure out your range, then move from there. I have read a lot from people who have had an FG and then got a clone like a smartech, and say they should have done that the first time.

This is an unbiased post, so please don't go bashing this thread up like the hpi customer service thread.

Paul
Old 09-02-2006, 01:39 AM
ScooterTrash

Here are a fue 1/5 & 1/6 scales to look at & compare->[link]http://www.largescalerc.com[/link][sm=thumbs_up.gif] & [link]http://www.rcnutshobbies.com/cart.cgi?group=0&child=5149[/link] & [link]http://www.bigboystoysandhobbies.com[/link] & [link]http://www.orienttoyshobbies.ne[/link] & there is a lot more! PS: Once you go to Gas you won't look back, Look at them all and whatever you get you will love it! & it will pay for it self in fule caust $25.00 [sm=cry_smile.gif] a gal. Verces $3.00 [sm=teeth_smile.gif] a gal.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33716.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	517404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66192.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	517405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25985.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	517406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19034.jpg
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	517407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60562.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	517408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77108.jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	517409  
Old 09-02-2006, 08:18 AM
jpachill1

Scooter, hahaha! "Pay for itself" [sm=lol.gif]I wish it would, that is a bit of a stretch! I know what you were saying.

To bad we are always trying to make it stronger, faster, cooler! If we weren't trying to do that, maybe!

I hear ya brother!

Paul
Old 09-02-2006, 09:11 AM
ScooterTrash

[8D] Hay jpachill1, You R right allway's hoping them up.LOL Got a new body & I made a hand made a wheelie wheel & the shock. & Want the Bling-Bling. I messed up[sm=angry_smile.gif] my old body by trying to smoke tint the wundows. The guy at the hobbie shop said it wouldn't bleed through, well I am no[sm=thumbs_down.gif] painter & it did! I will post the new body with the new paint job & Whillie bar when I get it all finnished up. Here is a Pic. of the messed up one, it will be used for bashing. The new one will be for cruising. LOL

Name:	Bz78520.jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	517573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15265.jpg
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	517574  
Old 09-02-2006, 10:27 AM
jpachill1

$$ I saw a new body on tower for my Firehammer is $74. eeeks![:@]
I guess I will be using mine till it can't hang on anymore![sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Old 09-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Timmahh
Banned

maybe the other companies will jump on the bandwagon. the clear body for the baja is 32.00 for all four pieces.. 80.00 if pre painted. would be nice to see these prices get a bit more realistic.

Timmahh
Old 09-02-2006, 10:41 AM
jpachill1

Yeah, I hear you. I don't know if they make a clear body for the Firehammer. Someone probably does, but my concern would be, could it hold up to multiple acrobatics?[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 09-02-2006, 02:00 PM
ScooterTrash

[:@] Look at the stupid Price of the FG MT5 Bigfoot Body $150.00[sm=thumbs_down.gif] Now that is way to much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2006, 03:58 PM
pilotjohn

$150.00 for a clear lexan FG MT body? Are you kidding?
Old 09-02-2006, 04:06 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: pilotjohn

$150.00 for a clear lexan FG MT body? Are you kidding?

Crazy isn't it...a $2 piece of lexan vacuum formed lol
Old 09-02-2006, 05:05 PM
jpachill1

Is there a way to mold your original body, then pour a resin or composit?
Actually, I guess you could use fiber glass strips from your local auto store to repair your body. [sm=confused.gif]
Bondo makes a small inexpensive fiber glass kit that you can get anywere, any auto store even walfart.

Paul
Old 09-02-2006, 05:17 PM
frumpy

Ya know Scooter if we could find a vendor to make ans sell these bodies for around $100,still high I know[:@]I bet you'd see the prices come right down.It's like these few companies that make these don't have any compitition.I know the arguement yhat they don't sell many because there is alot more 1/10 and 1/8 scale cars out there than 1/5,but even at $100 bucks a pop they still would be making a killing[:@][:@]
Old 09-02-2006, 06:06 PM
USABaja5B

It isn't the cost of the lexan, its the cost of the mold to do the vacuum forming. Even if you make it out of Mahagony wood, its still a few thousand dollars. Then, you have to make a minimum run. The hardest part is making the decision on which body style to make. If it was easy, I would have done a trophy truck body for the baja already.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:37 PM
ScooterTrash

[:@]It is Stupid! Granted they are pretty thick & can take a Beating, but still stupid!!!!!!![link]http://www.rcnutshobbies.com/product.cgi?group=27771&product=27887[/link] & Here->[link]http://www.largescalerc.com/Vehicles/Bodies.html[/link] FG Monster Truck Body Set with Front Clip This is a Complete FG Monster Truck Body. It is being sold with the Front Clip.

Name:	Rp42468.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	517797  
Old 09-02-2006, 09:04 PM
jpachill1

USABaja is right, But, necesity is the mother of all invention. Let's figure out how to do it cheaper and smarter. Having said that, I think I will be using the fiber glass bondo kit I mentioned earlier in the mean time for fix it's![sm=shades_smile.gif]

Paul
Old 09-02-2006, 09:09 PM
pilotjohn

How about the one from Molzer-Mowry Racing, in the 2nd link you posted it's $103.50, part #MMR6192. It's $46.50 cheaper than the FG one and says it fits the FG MT.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:25 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jpachill1

Is there a way to mold your original body, then pour a resin or composit?
Actually, I guess you could use fiber glass strips from your local auto store to repair your body. [sm=confused.gif]
Bondo makes a small inexpensive fiber glass kit that you can get anywere, any auto store even walfart.

Paul
Bodies can be made using thixotropic rubbers to make a mothermold then using gelcoat and resin for actual body. Takes time cost $$ and won't be clear, but it will be stronger. The people selling these bodies also aren't paying $150 for them. The firehammer bodies are only $75...same body used on XTM's but hobbypeople want $99....retailer markups is the killer.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:40 PM
jpachill1

Holy Mother Mold!
You better wear a Thixotropic rubber, or something!
What is that, is it easy to get a hold of?

Paul