Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

23cc problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 05:37 PM
jpachill1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 23cc problems

I was running this morning and suddenly had no power and eventually stalled. I pulled the cord a little and saw smoke come from between the carb and the plastic block. I took it apart and noticed that the gasket was gone, blown out. I replaced the gasket with regular cork gasket from an auto store, and put a rtv gasket maker on it as well.
Now, I still cannot get it started even though I am getting fuel. The plug is wet, I also have spark and it's not the plug because I have also tried a brand new one as well. All it is doing is flooding.
Am I covering some hole or something that needs to let the air through? For instance, on the face of the carb and the plastic block there is I think one or two little holes. Should I not be covering them. Here is a picture from DDM. This isn't what I have, but I am trying to show the holes in the block and the gaskets.

http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product531.html

Thanks

Paul
Old 09-12-2006, 08:08 PM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: 23cc problems

Yes i've had same issue and went to my local small engine guy and grabbed a gasket from him .. i tryed same thing as you did with no luck until new gasket was installed and sealed ..
i still do not no accauctly what those vent holes do , so sorry i cant answer that part of you're question !
Good Luck .
Old 09-12-2006, 08:16 PM
lt250dave

i'm not exactly sure how it works but i think the hole lets crank case pressure enter the carb and puts pressure to the diaphram to pump the fuel from the tank to the carb.

i'm sure someone will correct me though
Old 09-12-2006, 08:16 PM
pilotjohn

Yes the lower hole needs to be open.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:36 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

How does your head gasket look? My G260 had a blown head gasket recently and would not start. There was a greasy smudge on the side of the head where it meets the lower part of the cylinder. It was on the exhaust side of the cylinder.

If you replace the head gasket save yourself a lot of grief and get the correct gasket. If the thickness is not right on this gasket you could end up frustrating yourself more. DDM or O'Neills has the gasket for $2.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:23 PM
jpachill1

Ken, the head looks ok. I checked that out pretty thoroughly and it looks good. That is why I wrote this post, I just can't understand why this thing will not start. That's why I was leaning on one of those holes on the face of the carb and plastic block needing to be open. I'm going to check it back out. I will try to cut the holes out, but if not I will get a new gasket.
As for the gasket, are they easy to find? I ask because the plugs aren't, without ordering it.

Thanks, guys,

Paul
Old 09-12-2006, 09:37 PM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

On my boat I tapped into the carb block there to run the waterpump (pulse port)
Old 09-12-2006, 09:52 PM
jpachill1

ORIGINAL: teamchrome

On my boat I tapped into the carb block there to run the waterpump (pulse port)

I'm not tracking.
Are you saying that the bottom hole is a valve?

Paul
Old 09-12-2006, 10:28 PM
JRexA

The hole is needed for the fuel pump inside the carburator to work.

If it the hole is covered, you wil not get any new fuel up, once the amount you have pumped up, using the bulp is gone.

This is the same for all WT style carbs.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:05 AM
jpachill1

I have gone and redone the gaskets and punched out that hole. I'll see in the morning.

Paul

Old 09-13-2006, 09:11 AM
8000ft

I hate to even bring this up, but.....if the gasket between the carb and enging was leaking you were probably running lean, maby very lean. How was the engine running just before it quit? If it was running realy great, I mean like "wow this thing is really screaming today" kind of great and then it just ran out of power and stalled ........ you may have cooked the motor.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:47 AM
ryan@ddm

The hole in the carb gasket allows the pulse from the crankcase to reach the carburetor and run the internal fuel pump. If this hole is blocked, your engine will not run.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:14 AM
jpachill1

Boy I hope I didn't cook the engine!

Ryan, just out of curriousity, if the hole was plugged would you still get fuel? I ask because it was covered and I had fuel getting to the plug but it was to much.
I just got a new gasket from the local lawn mower place. I had a heck of a time with the guy there. When I called and asked for the gasket and gave him a number, he then asked what the carb was on. I told him the size of engine, then he wanted to know the aplication. This is where I know I was gonna fry his brain, I told him it was on an rc car. Like clockwork he was saying, oh well I don't have anything for that! I had to assure him that the gasket was gonna work. For a $1 I sure had to do a lot of convincing him that this gasket will work. Holy Smokes, just sell me the dang gasket!!!![>:] I almost had to reach across the counter and grab it from him!

Paul
Old 09-13-2006, 11:17 AM
ryan@ddm

If the hole is plugged, the internal fuel pump in the carb will not run. If you push the primer bubble, some fuel will be injected, but it will run dry very soon. A wet plug alone isn't a reliable indicator for the carb delivering fuel properly. manual priming and pullstarting can flood the engine even if the carb is damaged.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:22 AM
jpachill1

Well, that explains that. Thank you.

Now another, with fuel in the there I should have atleast got it to turn over a little right? I do know that I had to tilt the car to the side to drain out black fuel from the muffler. So I figured that it was just getting to flooded. What is an indicator that I did any further damage?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:29 AM
ryan@ddm

You likely have not damaged your engine in any way. Take out the spark plug, pull the starter a few times to drain and purge the fuel, and allow the engine to dry out.

put the plug back in and you should be off and running.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:38 AM
jpachill1

Roger that! Thank you Ryan. Just so you know I have a cy29 sitting in my shopping cart on your website!!!!

I'm gonna go and try to start it, if no go then I will install the new gasket. Last night I took it apart again and cleared the hole. Hopefully that works.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 09-13-2006, 12:11 PM
carpy100

when you pull with the plug out, turn the car upside down to clear the fuel out. loads of black cack will come out, then it should start with standard factory needle settings.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:19 PM
ryan@ddm

cack! Ah, what a beautiful word. Haven't heard that since I lived in england
Old 09-13-2006, 12:30 PM
carpy100

now winters coming i'm sure we'll be racing in plenty of it
Old 09-13-2006, 01:09 PM
hellya

after you make sure your not flooded and replaced your spark plug....leave your air filter off, place your finger over your carb and pull the starting cord 2-3 times....the engine should pop, act like it wants to start..... after that remove your finger and it should start.

your manually choking it not using the choke lever or the primer bulb .....this way you can see if your actually getting gas
Old 09-13-2006, 02:19 PM
lt250dave

geez i was just taking a guess on what that hole was for, look back to the third post in this thread
Old 09-13-2006, 02:41 PM
jpachill1

Well gentelmen, this is about the part where I go crazy!

I have done everything that everyone has said but with no luck. Now, I did not put my new gasket on yet because I was able to clear the hole all the way through and put one through the cork gascket. Fuel goes through the hole, but I still have no results.
It's not even acting like it wants to fire.
I am right at the point of hitting the button for that new engine. I just can't stand when things like this kick my *****. I took the what I would relate to as the fuel bowl off to see if cack (nice) was in there. I took the top off for the same reason.

I'm loosin it!![sm=confused_smile.gif]

Paul
Old 09-13-2006, 03:15 PM
ryan@ddm

Remember, the pulse line needs to be clear throughout - starting with the insulator gasket, through the insulator, through the carb gasket, and then into the carb.

Have you reviewed the "help my engine won't start" tips here?
www.davesmotors.com/goped-faq.htm
Old 09-14-2006, 02:32 PM
jpachill1

Ryan, I did read the help tips, thank you for that. I have cleaned and done everything I can with no results. I even tried ether this morning, still nothing. I removed the engine so that I can totally see everything. Even though the head gasket looks ok, I think I blew it. I have compression if my thumb is on the spark hole. But if I put it on the muffler pipe, there isn't anything. I will pull the head off and check. Timmahh suggested the ring as well.

Come to think of it, 8000ft's post about to lean sounds like this. It was running well, actually very well. I'm gonna take it apart and see whats what! The problem is I am so used to nitros and having to screw around with stinking needles to get it spot on. That's what I was doing with this, I kept messing with the needles trying to make this think a screamer. I should have left well enough alone. Maybe my cure would be the cy29cc from DDM. OK it250Dave, you got me!!! I was trying to make this thing pop and well, I sure did that!

Thanks Everyone for thier help

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.