Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

***First Large scale questions***

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

***First Large scale questions***

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Rs43EVOman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***First Large scale questions***

Im trying to scrape up enough money to buy myself a HPI Baja 5B. This is in no way my first Rc car at all, ive been in ther hobby for about 4 years. Lately ive been racing 1/8th buggies seriously, but after seeing the Baja 5B personally i know i gotta have one, but ive got a few questions.

I havent heard any talk about how you break in these engines. theres gotta be differnces between the .21 engines im used to compared to these monster 23CC engines. What are the big differnces?

Ive seen a bunch of videos and it seems like the pipes on the Baja 5B makes a HUGE difference. Im gonna try and get a Jet Pro pipe for mine, or a Samba. which do you reccomend?

Ive also seen some 29CC Big-Bore kits for the engine on Ebay for around $75. Is it worth the money? Will this give me more power then the pipe?

Also i have questions about how durable the 5B is. theres more plastic on this thing then on my 1.8th buggies, and this car weighs about 3 times the weight. im especially worried about the shock towers. I dont wanna buy a car thats gonna break every time i drive it, is the car durable or not?
Old 10-01-2006, 03:08 PM
bryan70546
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: ***First Large scale questions***

well i dont have a baja but will own 1 soon.but i do own to big gasser trucks yes the pipe will help the 23cc out alot and if you put a 29cc or 30.5cc bore kit you will see a huge diffrence ,you cant really compare a nitro engine to the gassers if you can run your weedeater you can run you baja engine .they dont require a break in but its best to run them in .like i said a pipe and a bigbore kit and you will have a real beast.as far as parts breaking its a 1/5 scale buggy bigger and heavier then any nitros. stuff is going to break it the nature of the beast.from what i understand and read here hpi customer service is top notch .plus the baja is very durable.here is a few venders you can check out for parts and hop ups. www.largescalerc.com http://www.bigboystoysandhobbies.com http://www.davesmotors.com/ http://www.oneillbrothers.com/ http://rcnutshobbies.com/
Old 10-01-2006, 03:52 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

come check out the BAJA forum there is alot of info there..........
Old 10-01-2006, 05:47 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't find the Baja forum. [] Is it listed on the RCU forum page?
Old 10-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Rs43EVOman

Well, i want the engine to last as long as possible, so how should i "break it in". Also what will give me more power a Jetpro tuned pipe or the Cy 29CC big bore kit?

[link=http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product701.html]Big Bore Kit[/link]
[link=http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product623.html]Jet Pro tuned pipe[/link]

Also, it seems tro me like the Jet pro pipe it preatty low to the ground and woud get damaged very quckly, is that true, or am i wrong. Is there a better pipe then the JetPro for the same price? Also just so you know i just bashing, and i would rather not sepnd that much money on an exhaust that gonna get damaged, are there any other alternatives that will provide the same power without the precarious mounting, or high price
Old 10-01-2006, 06:38 PM
bryan70546

you could go with the 29cy bigbore kit and the x-can . i think this is the forum you are looking for. www.hpibajaforum.com look here for the x-can alot of people love it for the baja http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rccar/tgn.htm
Old 10-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Pyrotechnic

well from wat ive heard and seen the jetpro gets beaten up pretty easily, depending on how hard you run the baja. i kno a lot of ppl say you cant beat the x can for the price. i dont have the baja yet, but when i get one im gonna get the x can cuz of the price, and cuz id be afraid to ruin a pipe thats $150+
Old 10-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Rs43EVOman

Ok guys i posted this on the other forums also

Ok well i found a 29CC top-end only big-bore kit on a Ebay store. It isnt ported, like the second link. Which one will give me more power?

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/29cc-big-bore-kit-HPI-BAJA-b5-b-5-5b_W0QQitemZ160030964867QQihZ006QQcategoryZ44028QQ tcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem]http://cgi.ebay.com/29cc-big-bore-kit-HPI-BAJA-b5-b-5-5b_W0QQitemZ160030964867QQihZ006QQcategoryZ44028QQ tcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem[/link]
[link=http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product494.html]http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product494.html[/link]
Old 10-01-2006, 08:12 PM
jpachill1

Hey, I remember you, I think. From the Hpi rs4evo forum. Well if I am thinking of the right person you haven't seen me in about 4 months. I haven't been back there since I went to gas. Not that I don't love my hpi rs4 evo with os18tz ss engine, but....

For the engine, just like the hpi site, take the time to learn your car with the 23cc. It's not a bad engine and yes a jetpro will make it better.
However, the 30.5 esp modified BB kit is the way to go, turn your 23 into this. Ad an Xcan and you are ready to go. My rule of thumb for exhaust is this. Jetpro for serious racers that have serious compitition and races. For the rest of us that bash like He11, the xcan is the best. You get great low end power. I'm not saying to not get a jetpro if that is what you want, but the 30.5bb kit and xcan are going to be hard to beat!

Paul
Old 10-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Rs43EVOman

All the 30.5CC kits are more expensive then the other kits im looking at plus they need a crankshat. the ones that include the crankshatf are way too expensive. I also dont wanna have to split the case. So i think the kits i am looking at should provide nearly the same power, Basically ive narrowed it down to 3 things . A race ported 27cc, a regular 29.5cc, or a raceported 28.5cc kit. Obviously the 28.5 will give me the most power but is also the most expensive, $115. Ive heard that this kit will give me around the same power as the 30.5 cc kit, but are there any bad effect of an engine being ported?

Here are the links

[link=http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product494.html]26.9cc regular[/link]
[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/29cc-big-bore-kit-HPI-BAJA-b5-b-5-5b_W0QQitemZ160036245723QQihZ006QQcategoryZ44028QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]29cc regular[/link]
[link=http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product1650.html]28.5cc race Ported[/link]
Old 10-01-2006, 08:58 PM
jpachill1

Being ported is not like taking roids. Your pee pee will not shrink!!

Porting an engine is great, but, your 28.5 will not be the same as a 30.5. If that was the case than we wouldn't have the 30.5!!

Keep this in mind, there is no replacement for displacement. You might get close, but at the end of the day you will get closer with the BB kit.

Paul
Old 10-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Rs43EVOman

I know, but i just dont have the money to spend to get it. If in the end i have a little extra dough left ill get that, but im planning on buying the 28.5 Race ported kit. considering this will be my first large scale RC. that big-bore kit with the X-can should be plenty of power for me! . So on to the next question I havent heard anything about breaking-in one of these engines, how do you do it? Also should i put the 28.5CC kit and X-can on the car once i get itm or do i need to break in the stock motor before doing so?
Old 10-01-2006, 09:28 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have an FG Monster Beetle and I was more careful than some and broke it in slowly (even though it is not like a nitro). Many people will tell you that you don't need to break it in, just like you don't break in a weed eater, but it never hurts to be a little cautious.

It has been a while, but I recall letting my Beetle idle for 15 minutes and then shut it down. When it had completely cooled, I ran it easy for about a half tank and let it cool, again. I finished the tank in the same way, let it cool and then drove through the second tank it like I was running from the police.

It ran flawlessly and I felt better than I would have if I had just started it up and taken off. It surely will not hurt your engine to give it a little bit of heat at a time and let it cool between runs, but I can't say for sure how necessary it really is.

Good Luck!
Jason
Old 10-01-2006, 09:33 PM
bryan70546

very good way to do just make sure you have a good oil gas mix for the run in and the way you say do it would work fine.
ORIGINAL: icecreamslick

I used to have an FG Monster Beetle and I was more careful than some and broke it in slowly (even though it is not like a nitro). Many people will tell you that you don't need to break it in, just like you don't break in a weed eater, but it never hurts to be a little cautious.

It has been a while, but I recall letting my Beetle idle for 15 minutes and then shut it down. When it had completely cooled, I ran it easy for about a half tank and let it cool, again. I finished the tank in the same way, let it cool and then drove through the second tank it like I was running from the police.

It ran flawlessly and I felt better than I would have if I had just started it up and taken off. It surely will not hurt your engine to give it a little bit of heat at a time and let it cool between runs, but I can't say for sure how necessary it really is.

Good Luck!
Jason
Old 10-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Rs43EVOman

Should i adjust my oil to gas mixture for the "break-in" or just use the normal gas to oil ratio?

Ok on a completely different note. I realize this isnt an exact science, but with the 28.5cc Race POrted Kit + the X-Can how fast should my B5 go?
Old 10-01-2006, 09:39 PM
bryan70546

this is what i would do but like i said its just me , buy your hpi get a x-can , install it get use to the vehicle take your time with it read the booklet back to back .see how you like it at least put a couple of tanks through it ,then if you see it need more power buy your self a bb kit.you might also want to get you a outerwears air filter cover and a pullstarter houseing cover this is a must for added protection.to keep dirt and debris out of the pullstarter and airfilter.
ORIGINAL: Rs43EVOman

I know, but i just dont have the money to spend to get it. If in the end i have a little extra dough left ill get that, but im planning on buying the 28.5 Race ported kit. considering this will be my first large scale RC. that big-bore kit with the X-can should be plenty of power for me! . So on to the next question I havent heard anything about breaking-in one of these engines, how do you do it? Also should i put the 28.5CC kit and X-can on the car once i get itm or do i need to break in the stock motor before doing so?
Old 10-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Rs43EVOman

Yes i'm getting the outwear filter + pullstart cover. After seeing pics of how well the pre-filter cover works im definetly gonna get it, but I dont see what the pullsrtart cover does, isnt the pullstart a sealed plastic "box" surround ing the pullstart mechanism. I so whats the point oif the filter
Old 10-01-2006, 09:44 PM
bryan70546

i broke my 23cy in with a 25to1 oil gas ratio on klotz oil i then switched after a few tanks to 28to1 ,but this is just me ,my trucks starts with only 2 or 3 pulls and runs like a champ.next week i will go to a 32to1 and probly stay with that plus going to camp fuel.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Rs43EVOman

Well what does HPI reccomend?

Ok on a completely different note. I realize this isnt an exact science+ this may make me sound like a newbie, but i was wondering. With the 28.5cc Race Ported Kit + the X-Can how fast should my B5 go?
Old 10-01-2006, 09:47 PM
bryan70546

it keeps grass and mudd and rocks out of the housing if a rock or other stuff gets in thier it can tear the crap out of the finns on the pullstarter .trust me you want them both .it just added protection.

Yes i'm getting the outwear filter + pullstart cover. After seeing pics of how well the pre-filter cover works im definetly gonna get it, but I dont see what the pullsrtart cover does, isnt the pullstart a sealed plastic "box" surround ing the pullstart mechanism. I so whats the point oif the filter
Old 10-01-2006, 09:50 PM
Rs43EVOman

It seems like you keep answereing the 2nd most recent question i ask, but never the latest. I think im typing my queston as your typing your responce so to reiterate what i asked:

Well what oil does HPI reccomend?

Ok on a completely different note. I realize this isnt an exact science+ this may make me sound like a newbie, but i was wondering. With the 28.5cc Race Ported Kit + the X-Can how fast should my B5 go?
Old 10-01-2006, 09:53 PM
bryan70546

cant tell you ,but it will probly move pretty darn quick .i think hpi reccommends a 25to1 oil gas mixture if that is what you are asking .i am far no pro , what i know is from what i have learned here and taking my time with my trucks .timmah is the baja expert along with hondaman and lt250 bunch of guys here can help you out .if i had a baja i would be doing the same thing as you ,just remember cover all you bases read up as much as you can put the parts that will protect your vehicle and keep it running strong .but most of al take your time with it.

Well what does HPI reccomend?

Old 10-01-2006, 09:59 PM
bryan70546

sorry ,i think with the baja they give you oil with the car ,alot of people run amsoil i run klotz i get it from www.towerhobbies.com very good stuff nice smell to burns clean .no carbon build up.a good oil si VERY IMPORTANT i am sure others will chime in with more help but the two oils i mention will work great. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXS622&P=ML
Old 10-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Rs43EVOman

Yah ive learned the hard way when i first started out that taking everything slow in the beggining pays ten-fold later.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:05 PM
bryan70546

yep i use to run nitro t-maxxs 4 of them i got tired of working on them more then running them going gas was the best move i ever made .way to much fun

Yah ive learned the hard way when i first started out that taking everything slow in the beggining pays ten-fold later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.