Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Marder Setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 05:25 PM
swansea-jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marder Setup

Hey all

Just recently purchased a Marder Race. Cannot believe how easy this thing is to run after bashing with a Savage for a few years. Could never go back to nitro now.

One thing I would like to improve though is stability, it sure does like to roll

I've read a few other forums and I know one or two of the guys here have pretty good setups, and do quite well while racing them. If anyone has any setup tips they'd like to throw my way it would be greatly appreceated.

Avoiding high speed rolls would be a nice change.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Marder Setup

I have found that stability mostly comes from learning how to drive the weight of the car and not letting it drive you. The only things I would suggest to help are to not use shock spacers in the rear and go with a lighter shock oil. I use 70wt in the front and 85wt in the rear.... But as I said the biggest help to me was when I learned how to steer in and out of turns, these things handle quite differently from the 1/8 scales I used to race (Hyper buggy and Savage).

Edit: Also if you have sway bars it helps to remove them from what I have heard.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:09 AM
carpy100

fit the alloy 5 hole pistons in the shocks, run 1000wt fg oil all round. fit 14mm steel rear wheel squares, 24mm elcon fronts with elcon extra long front axles.
fit steel ball joints to rear lower wishbones to wind out the turn-buckles for maximum track.put 3# camber rear with 5#toe in.
thats everything you can do to get the best handling and more or less aleviate grip roll.

hope this helps,
paul.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:33 AM
JRexA

If you want to have a wider stance to the rear, then look at the new Elcon XL Rear A-Arms and Elcon XL Ball drive axle.

That will make the car around 1" wider at the rear, giving a lesser tendency to roll.

Elcon XL Rear arms are available both as fixed and as adjustable.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:09 AM
swansea-jack

Thanks for the tips guys I'm keeping her on all fours a lot more comfortably now.

Carpy I've been reading through the warstone forums the last few weeks, you've been doing quite well with your Marder at the racetrack Just a shame theres not to much near me for large scale racing.

Just ended buying some front Elcon wishbones as "I" managed to break one of the standard plastic ones.

Well I am blaming my mate for it anyway

Yesterday I was travelling at full throttle across our local park heading towards a small jump, when my mate who was driving his Marder in the same direction as me but about 10 yards in front and off to the right, decides to to a pointless U turn straight back into the front of my Marder.

Well the was a loud snap and both cars ended up on thier roofs. I called him a few choice names and we headed over to check on the damage. As we approached I could see the angle of my left hand front wheel was a bit off, and on closer inspection I could see the lower wishbone was snapped where the shock mounting bolt goes through, and also the upper wishbone had almost pulled the turnbuckle threads out elongating the hole. Due to the fact that my shock absorber had come free my left hand trackrod was pushed back and up into my body, ripping it from the mounting pegs on both sides.

I was a little annoyed with him, as it really was an act of stupidity turning back into my path at high speed.

I thought I may as well get the Elcon wishbones now as I was intending to upgrade them anyways in the future, just a little more expense right now that I really wanted.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:13 PM
carpy100

and so begins the very expensive journey into modding!!! you will find that the upper arms break more than lowers, also you will keep ripping the bolts from the front hubs/uprights.your best bet is to superglue them all in, upper and lower,whilst you still have some thread left in themyou got to get some fg/elcon rear upper arms mate or you will start stripping pinions due to the movement of the plastic ones.
if you look on the warstone and nene valley raceway forums theres loadsa second hand parts for sale