Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

First Fuelie is on the Way

Old 10-22-2006, 12:08 PM
beaglegod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Fuelie is on the Way

Well after the initial beating I took from the misses when I told her I spent $1k on and RC (I knew there was no way to sneak the thing by her)Im healing up well and Im realy excited about getting my Baja 5b. Now with Nitro I usually take the engine apart b4 running it toflush out possible debris.I also usually back out every screw and rescrew w/locktite. Do you guys usually go throught this routine with your large gas powered RCs?

Any pre run tips for the Baja please let me know also someone in another thread mentioned removing the grease from the pullstart and putting a cover on it to prevent dirt getting inside,Im not sure exactly what he was suggesting if anyone knows please elaborate,I wanna start this thing right.

Fianaly are there any upgrades that are a must for the baja right from the start? Please let me know your suggestions.

Man I love that feeling of getting a new RC delivered but honestly I dont think Ive ever been as excited as I am waiting for my first Fuelie car,I feel like a 10 year old whos parents said "we're getting you a puppy this weekend!" know what I mean.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:15 PM
Earth Surfer

Default RE: First Fuelie is on the Way

Glad to hear the wife does not have a jaw breaking right hook, and your typeing fingers still seem to work fine. Just tell her she needs to make more money-------but don't tell her I said that or she might be on a plane to Michigan in short order to deliver a beating to me--hehe.

One tip--the thing is a vacuume bag for grass clippings. The grass clippings clog the fan area, and can even clog the space between the air shroud and cylinder/head. There is a pre filter sold for the air intake of the pull starter, but to the best of my knowledge, there is not one for tha large intake holes that are cast into the fan cover portion of the cases.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:45 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might look into a metal starter pawl. You might want to remove the pull-start housing/cover and hot glue a section of black, plastic screen on the inside. It will not keep dust out, but it will keep debris like grass and twigs from piling up in there.

Congratulations on the Baja!

Jason

Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Timmahh
Banned

ok few things to start with.
congrats on your first Large Scale, you ll love the Baja. its a very durable and very well built. you shouldnt have to worry about locktighting the baja, it seams the locktight person at the factory is a good employee. its all locktighted up pretty good when you pull it out of the box. Get a Good Battery Charger (ni/cd ni/mh). now.

1st. glad your healing well, those women can be MEAN, just wait unitl you get her to drive it, then she ll want one too. lol
2nd. go to DDM (davesdiscountmotors.com) buy a Outwears prifilter for your Aircleaner, and you can get one for you pull starter too. very usefull.

now for the bottom vent holes the ESP is talking about, you can use some spray adheasive, and some good breathable cloth or material, cut the material to the proper sizes and spray them with the adheasive, and then stick them inplace to cover those holes on the underside of the motor. you need to use fairly strong and breathable material as you dont want to stop airflow, but just the debris from getting in.

i ll pm you the rest.
Timmahh
Old 10-22-2006, 01:01 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

Congrats on the New BAJA. What no cigars, While your shopping @ DDM don't forget your dicount code"DDM" saves you 5%
Old 10-22-2006, 01:14 PM
beaglegod

[quote][One tip--the thing is a vacuume bag for grass clippings. The grass clippings clog the fan area, and can even clog the space between the air shroud and cylinder/head. There is a pre filter sold for the air intake of the pull starter, but to the best of my knowledge, there is not one for tha large intake holes that are cast into the fan cover portion of the cases. /quote]

thanks for the tips guys and for that website timnah, sorry to be anal about this but since I dont have my hehicle yet I not 100% sure about what Ill be looking at,if at all possible maybe someone could post a pic of these holes that need to be covered.

Also I wasunder the impression that the steering servo was metal geared,but i see a metal gear coversion kit,is the steering servo a potential weakness.

Thanks for your patience guys!
Old 10-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Timmahh
Banned

Beagle, head over to that site, look to the engine/exhaust threads. look for a thread labled The-Nibs 26cc Zen with ESP work and X-can on page 2. i have pics of what i did for these air vents.
no the stock gears are plastic. you ll probably want to ge the metal gear upgrade. its probably the ONLY really NEEDED upgrade.

heres a few pics too.

the grass catchers.

a pic with the vent holes on the underside of the motor covered.

hth
Timmahh
Old 10-22-2006, 02:03 PM
frumpy

ORIGINAL: hndaman1

Congrats on the New BAJA. What no cigars, While your shopping @ DDM don't forget your dicount code"DDM" saves you 5%
Hey Matt here's another good sig.

What do white men and FG'S have in common "They both can't JUMP" DOH!!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2006, 02:15 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: frumpy

ORIGINAL: hndaman1

Hey Matt here's another good sig.

What do white men and FG'S have in common "They both can't JUMP" DOH!!!!!!!

LOL would make a great T-shirt and Bumper Sticker too
Old 10-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Rs43EVOman

I ahevnt heard anything about blocking off these vents. Is that as necesary as buying pre-filters? Dont you think thoise vent holes are there for a reason, i can believe that you blocking them off is good
Old 10-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Timmahh
Banned

the holes in the crank case are for air flow, but the holes in the body are more for looks imo. they help channel air to the ps area, but not much. i usually run body off anyways. keeping that cool air flowing is important, it is why i suggest useing a GOOD BREATHable material, your not trying to stop all flow, but rather want to stop the crap but let the air thru. the material i used is actually a subproduct of a roofing material for residential housing.
Timmahh
Old 10-22-2006, 07:41 PM
JRexA

As for taking the engine part and dismantling and checking before every run: The Gasser Engines is basically a heavily Tuned Chainsav or bush trimmer Engine, and how many people checkout their trimmers and chainsaws engines before every run? None/Zero/Zilch

Keep the airfilter clean and well oiled, stay away from K&N style filters for Off-road, unless you use a well oiled foam prefilter.
Check for grass and other debris, that might block cooling airflow.

Fill er UP, and you are ready to ROCK.

I run 80% on rock and dirth, the remaining 20% in snow. Luckily I don't have to worry about clogged cooling wents, but I do prefer the snow running, when tumpling into a rock at 35mph+, well... somehow the rock or cliff always wins (haven't broken any Elcon parts... YET, but it isn't for lack of trying....)
Old 10-22-2006, 07:46 PM
rchertz

nice ride ,,,BUT...
Old 10-22-2006, 09:24 PM
lt250dave

make sure you check the pullstart now and then when running in the grass and if you do buy a pullstart prefilter, take the engine off the frame and do something like timmahh did. this is mine after about 15 min in the grass
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36289.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	546259  
Old 10-22-2006, 10:02 PM
Timmahh
Banned

got a paper, you could almost roll that. lmao.....
that pic is why im putting the cloth on. keeps 99% of that OUT of the air flow area under the motor.
Timmahh
Old 10-23-2006, 11:55 AM
BuggZy99
My Feedback: (2)

whats with the "FG trucks cant jump cr@p" ?? i beat mine every time out.
ill have a vid comming this week, once you watch it tell me an FG cant jump.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:17 PM
frumpy

ORIGINAL: BuggZy99

whats with the "FG trucks cant jump cr@p" ?? i beat mine every time out.
ill have a vid comming this week, once you watch it tell me an FG cant jump.
Hey BuggZy99,where can you find an FG that can do this without breaking something??
http://media.putfile.com/HPI-Baja-in-utah-sand-dunes
Old 10-23-2006, 12:35 PM
caad5

Dont worry about the FG comments Buggyz99 they come from a bunch of people that have to continually bag the FG to justify the Baja yet these same people are the ones going out and changing engines on the Baja because the stock engine it comes with is totally crap. Yet its better than FG !!! hahaha What a joke.

What does an awesome HPI Baja and UFO's have in common ? You keep hearing about them but never see any !!
Old 10-23-2006, 12:39 PM
BuggZy99
My Feedback: (2)

all those claiming the baja doesnt break are the same people on other threads praising HPI for replacing every part they break[&:]
as for now there al new, wait till wear and slack gets to them.

ORIGINAL: caad5

Dont worry about the FG comments Buggyz99 they come from a bunch of people that have to continually bag the FG to justify the Baja yet these same people are the ones going out and changing engines on the Baja because the stock engine it comes with is totally crap. Yet its better than FG !!! hahaha What a joke.

What does an awesome HPI Baja and UFO's have in common ? You keep hearing about them but never see any !!
Old 10-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Hey BuggZy99,where can you find an FG that can do this without breaking something??
Sand dunes are very forgiving when landing.... try that on hard pack an see what happens. I am not saying the Baja is weak, nor have I seen a vid of an FG or clone on dunes, but if some body tried an FG on the dunes it would do just fine I am sure. When will you guys realize this is not a "mine is better than yours" thing and even though they are different in design, neither one is worthless as some make it sound. I think most that had bad experience with what they label "FG" were owners of the cheaper (lower quality) clones... I bought a genuine FG and have had no trouble that you wouldn't expect from taking abuse. In 2 years I have had less breakage than in the 8 months I owned a Savage (still and awesome 1/8). All I can say is.... Can't we all get along??
Old 10-23-2006, 05:17 PM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

Right on !!

at the end of the day its all about having fun and enjoying farting around with our machines !!

ORIGINAL: Acs_guitars

Sand dunes are very forgiving when landing.... try that on hard pack an see what happens. I am not saying the Baja is weak, nor have I seen a vid of an FG or clone on dunes, but if some body tried an FG on the dunes it would do just fine I am sure. When will you guys realize this is not a "mine is better than yours" thing and even though they are different in design, neither one is worthless as some make it sound. I think most that had bad experience with what they label "FG" were owners of the cheaper (lower quality) clones... I bought a genuine FG and have had no trouble that you wouldn't expect from taking abuse. In 2 years I have had less breakage than in the 8 months I owned a Savage (still and awesome 1/8). All I can say is.... Can't we all get along??
Old 10-23-2006, 05:41 PM
speedygonzales

i dont understand your point of the "changing engines on the baja because the stock engine it comes with is totally crap" [&:]

my engine is reliable. i think it has plenty of power and fun factor.
plz dont think im "flaming or starting" something because im a proud owner of a baja. (just a simple question )

yes at the end its all about having fun and enjoying the offroad brand you chose.

beaglegod you made a good choice and i think you will be plzd and happy with the baja, with a few fixes to the baja it will be awsome (no i dont think all areas of the baja are perfect but close to it)
caad5
you trying to start something.
ORIGINAL: caad5

Old 10-23-2006, 06:57 PM
Timmahh
Banned

i know of NO ONE that has gotten Free parts due to something breaking that is not already a known Warrenty issue, ie bad foams, tire tears due to bad foams. ect.... HPI offers a 2yr Warrenty on material and craftsmanship. They stand behind it. i say Kudos to HPI for standing behind one of the best warrentys in the business.

just cuz YOU'VE never seen one Caad does not mean it dont exist.... i seem to remember reading literally 100s of FG threads about all sorts of FG issues over the last year, from carriers, to the need to rear a arms, steel spurs, updated diffs, engine Problems ( not FGs issue, but Zenohas issues) before the Baja was released. i entertained the FG idea until i found out about the Baja, and researched it and discovered how much more versital and unique the design itself is. it only took me a few days of checking into the baja to make my choice of the it over the fg pajero or MT or MB or marder ect.... the design, the 2 yr warrenty, the price, the ability of HPI to support the baja without brakeing the bank is what helped me decide on the baja.

see my vids with the baja jumping, we run on hard pack ground, with 2-3 inches of a 70/30 mix of Clay/Sand. its VERY Hard. not at all unlike a dirt road or driveway. no forgiveness at all. im interested in seeing a vudeo with an FG getting some real air. it will be a grand change over the normal flattrack type running we always see them doing.

all the baja engine swapping is NOT becuz the CY23 is a bad engine, ( if it is, then you need to include ALOT Of other rc cuz many use the CY engine) but more power is the key. that and dirt/sand ingestion. this is possible on ANY RC. FG, Harm, Horemann, Bergonzoni, HPI included. dirt will kill an engine faster than monica lewinsky can get light a cigar.

If one was astute enough to put all this together, then one ( and many already do/did, and plenty of them are FG or other large scale Owners), would see that things are fine in these threads UNTIL one or two FG cronies get a bug in their butts about it, then the crap starts flying. i have posted ALOT of info on many different threads, and never insistantly poke a finger in someones eye like others do. they know, once thats done then things get out of hand, and the mods have to step in and start deleting as usual. typically the Baja threads are deleted while the FG Threads are censored. this is a different topic and we all know the deal with that.

This spring im gonna get an F1, now while the FG F1s are really nice, just becuz of some of the idiocyncracys of certain FG owners here, i wont buy an FG if it was the ONLY F1 available. besides the Bergonzoni F1, though very similar, i think is a bit better in the end over the FG due to its design and Engine, ( 23cc reedcase as stock). but thats me.
jm2c
Timmahh

PS, I ask all Previous/Current/ and Future Baja owners to hold yourself to a higher level than the few trolls that are here causing the problems. They will be delt with at one time or another, but until them, lets keep our decorum and postings on target. all we ll need to do is Watch and See the losers start their crap day after day. The proof is in the pudding.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:45 PM
tizdaz

yet another thread of "my toy better than yours"

The sooner you guys realise they are COMPLETELY different models, the better, FG do not have a model anything like the HPI Baja, so how can you compare ?

& comments such as "mine <insert model name here> is stronger than your <insert rival model name here> ...

Stand at the top of a 500ft building. Then drop them both, which ever comes out of it with no scratch, is a winner ...motto of the story is, there is no winner.

As for the comment about the vidoe of the Baja jumping in sand dunes & an Fg cant do that... "lmao" ...priceless \o/ past your bedtime i think
Old 10-23-2006, 08:40 PM
J_D

ORIGINAL: Timmahh

If one was astute enough to put all this together, then one ( and many already do/did, and plenty of them are FG or other large scale Owners), would see that things are fine in these threads UNTIL one or two FG cronies get a bug in their butts about it, then the crap starts flying. i have posted ALOT of info on many different threads, and never insistantly poke a finger in someones eye like others do. they know, once thats done then things get out of hand, and the mods have to step in and start deleting as usual. typically the Baja threads are deleted while the FG Threads are censored. this is a different topic and we all know the deal with that.

dude, the first person in this thread to start the FG vs baja crap was not an fg person, it was frumpy saying

" Hey Matt here's another good sig.

What do white men and FG'S have in common "They both can't JUMP" DOH!!!!!!!"

so its not the FG ppl "butting in" to start things

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.