Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Is MCD worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 03:26 PM
D0G
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is MCD worth it?

I have an FG MT right now with alot of Aluminum on it, and Sort of lost interest alittle bit, I am considering the MCD MT. I love the 4x4 Idea on it, and from the Pictures I have seen it looks well set up. My Questions would be kind of the same Questions we always hear about the large scales, but MCD ist for front like some others.

I know parts are comming more available for the MCD, but is there anything that is a MUST upgrade for the MDC MT? Such as in the FG case, rear upper arms(just an axample lol) My FG is prett hopped yo for chassis parts and i do believe I would get a fair price for it to offset the innitial cost of MCDm but I dont want to have to put more $$$ into it.

YES I know the MCD comes bare bones (no engine, no servos) an I have put that into my overall estimate. But the 4x4 is really pulling me in.

So yuo guys with the MCD, the MT kind of looks alittle fragile in the wishbone(a-arm) area, are those red arps metal with plastic rose joints? or are they all plastic?
Whats the difference between the Blackline and Proline other than the Rollbar? A Rollbar cant cost the 300$ difference..lol

Anyhow, I am just looking for some input from owners and dealers as well I guess, and anyone else who wants to throw thier 2 cents in, just keep it clean.

Thanx Guys.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:48 PM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Is MCD worth it?

Hey Dog !
I'm in the same boat as you , i really miss the 4x4 and been reading on the MCD and as far as differences are i "think" the Diffs and shocks ..

Good Luck and i'll be watching this thread as well ..

Cheers
Old 10-23-2006, 03:51 PM
D0G

Ya i seen something about the shocks, but its not explained all that well on the sites I have see.

Bigger and bader usually = more breakage..lol

but man They sure look smokin dont they
Old 10-23-2006, 03:54 PM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

From what we have seen, the shock bottoms seem to be a weak point. They are mounted to the lower arm in the shape of a upside down with the mounts on the outside. They basically look like a wishbone from a turkey. I have had a few break just in shipping in a sealed box. Alloy ones are available as replacements.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:03 PM
D0G

Ya, know in the hobby of RC, parts will break and every vhicle has weak points, so it is to be expected.
I just have been fixing my FG MT more then running it, I just dont want to pass one Money pit for another.
makin sure I know what I am getting into
Old 10-23-2006, 05:31 PM
BuggZy99
My Feedback: (2)

ive been thinking out the mcd also for the 4 wheel drive. Dont think i would sell the fg though.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:33 PM
cyclops1970

Well if i had your money i could burn mine ... .)
ORIGINAL: BuggZy99

ive been thinking out the mcd also for the 4 wheel drive. Dont think i would sell the fg though.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:50 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just have been fixing my FG MT more then running it, I just dont want to pass one Money pit for another.
makin sure I know what I am getting into
I hear ya, DOG. I had too many problems with my FG Beetle for my liking and want something a little more hardy, as well. [sm=thumbup.gif]

I realize that it is a matter of preference, but do you really like the way the MCD truck looks? [sm=confused.gif] I cannot get past those plastic shield-things around the chassis. I know that they serve a purpose (to keep it cleaner), but it just looks weird to me. I am kind of hung up on the buggy, myself.

Either way, I bet they both will perform well. I haven't heard ANYTHING negative about MCD, even if they are kind of new. Most people seem to like them a lot and have no real issues (I've been doing plenty of thread scanning).

Good luck with the truck!
Jason
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37632.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	546862  
Old 10-23-2006, 07:54 PM
cyclops1970

OMG thats the first pic of the side guards exposed that i'vew seen .. they look gardage !! but once the lids on you shouldnt see them .. "MUCH "
Old 10-23-2006, 08:01 PM
icecreamslick

OMG thats the first pic of the side guards exposed that i'vew seen .. they look gardage !! but once the lids on you shouldnt see them .. "MUCH "
Hmmmm.........

Name:	Fd91804.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	546886  
Old 10-23-2006, 08:13 PM
cyclops1970

no.... with a over head lid off view .. or should i say insert foot here !!
ORIGINAL: icecreamslick

Hmmmm.........

Old 10-23-2006, 10:37 PM
Bigboytoys

You can get different side covers for the MCD, Check out the ones on my truck.

Name:	Om33393.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	547026  
Old 10-23-2006, 10:54 PM
bribeguy

ORIGINAL: D0G

I know parts are comming more available for the MCD, but is there anything that is a MUST upgrade for the MDC MT?
So far in my experiance, the answer is NO. The car is VERY well built and extremely durrable.

So you guys with the MCD, the MT kind of looks alittle fragile in the wishbone(a-arm) area, are those red arms metal with plastic rose joints? or are they all plastic?
The A-arms and rose joints are both plastic. They are VERY beefy and strong however. If Aluminum is your thing, King Cobra Racing makes some seriously pimp upper arms for them (and a line of other shiney goodies too).

Whats the difference between the Blackline and Proline other than the Rollbar? A Rollbar cant cost the 300$ difference..lol
The main difference is in the drivetrain and suspension. The Blackline is an "entry level" version. It has all 3 diffs locked, and plastic shocks. The Proline has open front and rear diffs (open center diff is optional), and threaded aluminum shocks.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:43 PM
D0G

Excellent info and opinions, you dont hear to much about the MCD line, but yea they do look great.

I realize that it is a matter of preference, but do you really like the way the MCD truck looks? I cannot get past those plastic shield-things around the chassis. I know that they serve a purpose (to keep it cleaner), but it just looks weird to me. I am kind of hung up on the buggy, myself.
I myself prefer the MT look. And yes those side guards do look alittle out of place, however I am much more of a function over form guy when it comes to my RC's, dont get me wrong they have to look nice, but would rather perform/protect.
You can get different side covers for the MCD, Check out the ones on my truck.

Attachments
Click for fullsize

That looks Nice, and looks like it would support as well.
Where did you get those?

From what I have heard the MDC is a great durable truck, alittle over priced for the market, but it is 4x4 and if you do any price comparison, its right there with the other 4x4's or upgrade kits. Im leaning so far towards the MCD im ready to fall over.
*insert drooly face here*

Was also wondering if anyone had more detailed pics of these, with the lid off. Showing the shock set up and wishbones, servo placement and so on.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:12 AM
bribeguy

There are a lot of good pics in my MCD thread here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_44...erunner/tm.htm
Old 10-24-2006, 09:25 AM
No Moa

I have my MCD Race runner almost ready to go, just looking at this machine, its truely awesome. I can't wait to run it. The only issue i had was putting the radio gear and servos in, there is NO directions. But my dealer really helped me out.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:36 PM
RC_chaos

Hey guys. The MCD truck is really fantastic. These trucks really take a beating. The shock forks have been known to break during hard crashes, but I haven't broken any of mine yet. At least the forks don't cost much if one was to break.

The white side plate protectors are actually clear lexan that needs to be painted...or not. The lexan has a white protective covering on it to keep it from getting scratched during shipment. I've seen pictures of the side guards that have been painted black, carbon fiber, and also to match the truck body. I guess a person could paint his side guards to look like the undercarriage of a really monster truck with the drive shafts and suspension braces painted onto the guard. Anyway you look at it, the guards are essential to keeping the rocks and earth from directly getting into the gears. My guards are painted black and are hardly visible with the body on the truck.

If you're wanting a 4x4 MCD vehicle, and you can't get past the side guards, then the race runner would be a nice vehicle to have in place of the monster truck. These are really great vehicles.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:51 PM
2 deep

Hi guys it looks to me that we have no choice but to surrender to the superior company MCD.The time has come that FG or the others out there have to step up to the plate because MCD make everyone else look like dinosaur's. I have an FG and race runner but when i look at my race runner its altogether a different animal. If you are serious about getting a MCD and are short of a $$$ then keep looking on Ebay, i have been checking it out now and again it looks like you could get a good deal.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:06 PM
bribeguy

ORIGINAL: 2 deep

Hi guys it looks to me that we have no choice but to surrender to the superior company MCD.The time has come that FG or the others out there have to step up to the plate because MCD make everyone else look like dinosaur's. I have an FG and race runner but when i look at my race runner its altogether a different animal. If you are serious about getting a MCD and are short of a $$$ then keep looking on Ebay, i have been checking it out now and again it looks like you could get a good deal.

To be honest, 2 Deep, I'd have to dissagree.

I own a racerunner, and don't get me wrong, I LOVE it, but I don't think it makes anything look like a dinosaur. Yes, it is more capable, and will outhandle a FG, but design wise it is very similar, and solves none of the design flaws modelled by FG's.

The transmission gears are still exposed. The suspension is very basic, short in travel (front), and doesn't use lower hinge pins.

BOTH cars, FG & MCD, are fairly "old-school" in design.

Really, IMO, all the MCD has going for it over an FG is a bit of an increase if beefiness, and the fact that it is 4WD. Those improvements alone, make it an amazing vehicle, yes, but one can still argue "at what price". It is (at least) twice the price of a 2wd FG..........but is it twice the car?

I don't know.

I don't regret buying mine for a second............I love it. But in all honesty, the only real step forward in 1/5 design that has happened in the past number of years (IMO), is the introduction of the HPI Baja.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:53 PM
D0G

I bit the bullet and orderd my MCD MT, and im excited about it. Gonna sell the Beefed up FG MT to help offset the cost.
I have put so much into making my FG a stronger truck and am still having isues, not that the FG isnt good, I may have just gotten a lemon, but none the less its frustrating me. Anyhow, I am hooked on the 4x4 aspect as well. When you do the math on the 4x4 Market, MCD is right there with the others and or conversion kits. I have heard from a few people that in thier opinion the MCD is one of the top in quality.

HPI took a step out on thier own to produce a one of a kind large scale but IMO by no means did they jump to the top of the chain. YES they did the right thing with it being RTR as well as all the bits and pieces that come with, espessially for the price, but it still has flaws, and still breaks. When I first saw the Baja in person I was in no more awe then when I saw the Firehammer, or my FG, and im sure I will be like a Kid on xmas morn come the arival of my MCD.

Anyhow, I will post pics when it comes (hopefully shortly, before the white crap falls) and I will give my honest opinion on how it compares for ME compared to the FG MT. As well as how it compares next to my buddies Baja.

No way around it, the Large Scale RC market is starting to grow, and there will be issues with all of them, thats the nature of the beast, but I welcome it with open wallet, err I mean arms as it should drive the prices down to a reasonable cost. Since the last yr or so I have owned my FG, even in that short time parts seem to be easier to find, and purchase, I can only hope that more companies realize that If they build it we will pay
Being in Western Canada there is NO place to purchase large scale RC's other than online so a big shout out to you guys who own and operate these shops we all dont tell our Wifes about..lol
If we didnt have women around, large scale RC's would be in every home..no doubt about it.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:59 PM
bribeguy

Congrats on the order DOG!

You're gonna LOVE having a MCD!
Old 10-25-2006, 07:01 PM
Timmahh
Banned

interesting read. keep it coming MCD owners.
Timmahh
Old 10-25-2006, 07:02 PM
D0G

Thanx Bribeguy, your pretty close to me, if you ever come to Edmonton be sure and let me know,and bring what you have.

Im so excited, im not gonna sleep for 2 weeks, I know it...haha..Or maybei wont sleep cause I have to figure out how to explain this to the ol lady...Not sure, either way im excited..
Old 10-25-2006, 07:15 PM
D0G

Thought I may also throw in the Diffeence in the Proline and Blackline.
The lesser expensive one
-Does NOT have a rollbar, on my FG the rollbar does NOTHING ina rollover, the lexan body takes most of the force and seems to hold up well enough.
-Has Shock pieces..lol wich I found out means the Shocks are NOT Dampered, so there is NO oil.. they are just Springs on a rod, possibly making the truck alittle bounce, however after further questions. you could put any oil filled shock on providing its the proper size, and use the SAME spring from the un-dampered shock. Therefore getting the damper you may need to offset the bounce. This may take a good guess, or trial and error.
-Further, and probably the most aparent is the REAR Diff is locked. Being that I personally will be offraod nearly 90% of the time, this was an easy descision for me. Locking it is ALMOST better.
There may be other things as well but from what I was told those are the main differences
Old 10-25-2006, 08:08 PM
icecreamslick

The only version of the MCD buggy that I have seen has a roll bar, so I'm guessing that there is no Blackline buggy.............or is there?

Did you still get to choose your poison (motor)? [sm=tongue_smile.gif] Did you get anything else for your truck?

Jason

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.