Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Gas servo twitch

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 02:04 AM
stevoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas servo twitch

OK here is the problem. I fitted my new Jr xs3 synth 3 channel radio.
Old steering servo, old throttle servo, old front brake servo (directly to the third channel. no Y harness) were fitted. All set up to run perfectly.
Started the car to first test throttle/rear brake linkages and steering linkage - no problems had a quick run.
Plugged in the third channel for front brakes worked OK but then started the engine and the brake servo just went nuts.
Maybe the third channel is getting RX interferance swap them around - the brake servo still goes crazy.
Ok so maybe the old brake servo is on its way out. So I grabed one of the cheap servos that came with the radio to test the setup screwed it in - exactly the same problem.
So I thought I would try swapping with the throttle servo - problem disappeared. Not a permenant solution.
With the brake servo in my hand I moved it around the car and some spots it had no issues other spots it went silly.
I did alot of other systematic tests, tried different freqs, ect. that all pointed to the same thing.

What I gathered from all my testing is the actual servo(s) is what is picking up the interferance. Is this possible??

I have got two new better quality (not top quality - cheap *******) servos coming in hope they will fix my problem.

I posted this in large scale as I think this problem is only due to the spark system that is specific to gassers.

So what I want to know is can the radio system get interferance via the servo.

Thanks Steve

Old 10-26-2006, 07:12 AM
ammdrew

Default RE: Gas servo twitch

We have seen metal gear servos with metal horns harmonic just right to cause glitching. while this would be very rare, you usually can swap servos and it will go away. If two servos do the same thing I would look at the RX.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Timmahh
Banned

i tried to use my JR XS3 Pro on my Baja, as i was getting severy interferance with the stock radio. It did Help, but unfortunatly, i was still getting interferance, and it was only in my throatle/brake servo just as yours appears to be. ( 3 servos later still had the issue) never did figure out what the issue was. i bought and installed a spektrum and issues are gone.
Timmahh
Old 10-26-2006, 02:36 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

Usually on airplanes we try to keep everything at least 12"-18" away from the engine, and that usually ends interference. We also don't connect carbs with metal to metal connections. But these car's seem to glitch real easy since there isn't enough room to move everything around to a glitch free spot. I did like Tim and tossed a Spektrum on and ended the glitches.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:38 AM
stevoo

Any ideas why the servo position has such an impact. Moving only it around changes whether it works or not.

I dont particularly want to get rid of a two week old radio set.

If the interferance is being picked up and controling the servo would a new Radio fix the prob?

Would it be correct to guess that the sensor in the servo that tells where it is positioned is getting interferance and causing this. If this is the case could a digital servo help?

I HATE INTERMITANT PROBLEMS!!!

Steve
Old 10-27-2006, 03:43 AM
part-time
My Feedback: (1)

i kinda had a simalar problem my fail safe would kick in and i fixed the problem by adjusting the epa on the sterring servo and it stopped all the glitching
Old 10-27-2006, 04:39 AM
caad5

Stevo when setting up the new rx/tx did you disconnect everything from your servos then power them up and make sure they are at nuetral point with the new rx/tx then connect everything up ( brake/trottle rods etc ) and then redo all your end point adjustments etc. It may be twitching coz your servo travel , neutral points and end points are all out , even slightly can cause twitching.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:30 AM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

I had some sevo twitch even with my Spektrum.
Found that the solder tabs on my pack ( five cell 3000mah reciever pack) one of them was broken and would vibrate when the motor was running and would be fine when not running.
New solder and tab, no problems since..
Old 10-30-2006, 10:44 AM
RCPULLINGTRACTOR

We build RC pulling tractor with gas engines. We have had the same gliching problems. It seems the coil is the problem. We have talked to others about it. They have said to use the Spektrum radio. They have not has any problems since. We have one on order and should get it soon.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:50 AM
BuggZy99
My Feedback: (2)

I had a similar problem this summer with mine, even with spectrum i was getting throttle glitch. To make a long story short after several trial and errors it turns out it was my steering servo causing the problem, the servo for some reason was casuing this problem. I ended up by changing it and it NEVER happened again. I did send the steering servo to HITEC and they did warrenty it, something about and amplifier defect causing power drainage.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:51 AM
stevoo

Well I got my new servos today plugged them in and the problem is totally gone.

I'd say the old servo was damaged and the new el cheapo JR servo was just too cheap and nasty.

All I got were a couple of the metal geared Towerpro 945 servos that are everywhere on ebay - seem to be alright.

Thanks for your replies

Steve