Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Thinking of selling my MT-5 to get a Baja...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Thinking of selling my MT-5 to get a Baja...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 09:48 AM
UK Will

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of selling my MT-5 to get a Baja...

I bought an allen key to change the spur gear and the first screw came off fine, but the 2nd one wouldn't unscrew and I think the allen key might be damaged now, I can turn the allen key, but it doesn't seem to be turning the screw and I'm getting a bit fed up with it all. Do you reckon it'd affect the price much if I sold it with the new spur gear, but without fitting it and with an alloy starter ratchet that's not fitted (the pull start's playing up too)?

Also, it seems the cheapest place to get a Baja from would be America, RC Nuts seem to sell them for $1055 delivered to the UK for example... Do you reckon any shops would mark them as returns or whatever so I wouldn't have to pay a stupid amount to get it through customs? And where's the best place to get one from in america (or is there anywhere else that'd be better/cheaper to get one from)?

Of course if I couldn't get a decent return on my MT-5 I guess I'll keep it...
Old 10-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Thinking of selling my MT-5 to get a Baja...

RcNuts is a great place to deal with and great prices too. I don't think you will find anyone to mark something to slip through customs like that. Since it is big and costly, and that is kind of illegal [:-] because EVERYTHING is taxed in that manor. YOu could send someone ( you would have to REALLY trust them) the money in the US to buy it and then ship it to you as a "gift" and that would be a safer way of getting around the law without really breaking it. Anyway good luck on your plans.

Edit; The issues you mention would not affect the selling price as long as parts are included.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:58 AM
UK Will

Hmmm, is anyone on here trustworthy enough?
Old 10-26-2006, 09:58 AM
part-time
My Feedback: (1)

to get the set screw out put a liitle automotive valve grinding compound in the set screw then try it again
Old 10-26-2006, 10:01 AM
bryan70546
My Feedback: (4)

daves motors sell them for 949.00 shipped .use coupon code ddm or rcu. http://www.davesmotors.com/index.htm
Old 10-26-2006, 10:04 AM
radio_controlled_mad

you would have to be carefull when you marking up customs packages in the event you need to make an insureance claim and regardless whats wrote on customs ticket if they wanted they would just open it up and look for receipts and charge v.a.t & fines on that amount+ buying rtr radio gear from usa is on illeagel frequency,you can get rtr baja over here now for around £600 which is not a massive difference considering if you had any problems you dont have to send items back out of the country

edit: also note importing an item from usa>uk means you lose uk warrenty,,,,not sure how that would effect your 2 years cover with hpi buying imported,i purchased a servo from hong kong £60 compared with £120 here - it naffed within a week - ripmax wouldnt repair it as warrenty was void
Old 10-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Timmahh
Banned

Have it Labled as GIFT, i understand that helps cure some customs costs if it is a gift. ( and it is a Gift, even if its from you to you...lol ) you can probably also get one for about the Same Price at DDM as another option.
Timmah
Old 10-26-2006, 11:38 AM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

To ship a vehicle overseas from the US, It can only go through Fedex, UPS or DHL. Each one averages about $150-$175 for a large scale vehicle. Due to these outrageous prices, we only ship to lower 48 states and Canada. The post office does not accept boxes this size for international shipping.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:37 PM
hellya

,US postal wont deliver packages bigger than 114 inches girth total...............Length, plus 2 times the height, plus 2 times the width

Example

length 36 inches

width, 18 inches times 2 = 36 inches

height, 18 inches times 2 = 36 inches..............................Total girth 108 inches

I just shipped my alloy upgraded Firehammer to the U.K. using the U.S. Mail....

U.S. Express mail service........ 3-5 day delivery...... 30 lbs $120.00 insured, with a tracking ###

How big is the Baja5's box?????

If its the same measurements as above or under, the US mail can ship it Express...$120

...Having it marked as a gift does nothing....buyer still had to pay 200 GBP import tax, I marked it as a gift....

In Europe the cheapest baja5 I have seen is $1485 US

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92449.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	548641  
Old 10-26-2006, 01:18 PM
carpy100

try simon at sb racing, you can contact him pm on here or go to the warstone raceway site and pm, or look on ebay for his ads(he's currently selling his own titanium parts on there, arm pins/shock shafts etc)then contact him through the bay.
i'm sure he will get you one at a good price.obviously he's a uk based dealer.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:39 PM
jasrx

ORIGINAL: UK Will

I bought an allen key to change the spur gear and the first screw came off fine, but the 2nd one wouldn't unscrew and I think the allen key might be damaged now, I can turn the allen key, but it doesn't seem to be turning the screw and I'm getting a bit fed up with it all. Do you reckon it'd affect the price much if I sold it with the new spur gear, but without fitting it and with an alloy starter ratchet that's not fitted (the pull start's playing up too)?
Of course if I couldn't get a decent return on my MT-5 I guess I'll keep it...
So let me get this right your thinking of selling ya MT cause u cant get your spur gear off > and geting a baja ? . what happends when something go`s wrong with the baja?
if ya want the baja that much just go and buy one then sell the MT
Old 10-26-2006, 01:48 PM
hellya

alloy spur gear....is the grub screw counter sunk??? Get a drill ..........if it isnt counter sunk and you can grab the grub screw get some vise grips.

To prevent this in the future use longer grub screws, if you do strip out the allen head, you can still lock onto the grub screw itself
Old 10-27-2006, 10:47 PM
hellya

Shipping the baja to the U.K. would only cost $112.00 U.S.......... 90 inches total girth.

Thats a 3-5 day U.S. Mail Global express with $900 insurance up to 25 lbs with tracking ###

http://ircalc.usps.gov/intl_details....48.40&x=23&y=3

$1060 US to your door (560GBP) But you still have import taxes[]
Old 10-28-2006, 08:32 AM
UK Will

ORIGINAL: hellya

alloy spur gear....is the grub screw counter sunk??? Get a drill ..........if it isnt counter sunk and you can grab the grub screw get some vise grips.

To prevent this in the future use longer grub screws, if you do strip out the allen head, you can still lock onto the grub screw itself
Counter sunk... I think it is, that means it unscrews the opposite way to normal does it? What do you mean by vice grips?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:51 AM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

counter sunk means it sit flush "nothing exposed outside of the whatever the part .. and all the parts are right hand threads so "lefty Loosey , Righty Tightie " lol , and the vise grip thing is if the grub screw is longer then you'll have something for a set of vice grips to grasp on to and extact the screw ..

Good Luck ..
Old 10-28-2006, 09:12 AM
UK Will

Then yeah, it is counter sunk!
Old 10-28-2006, 09:39 AM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

you can also pick up a EZ out set .and use the drill for the size of EZ out and drill the set screw then tap in the EZ out and back it out ... any hardware store should stock the EZ out set ... a drill and hammer and wrench is all thaty is needed ..
ORIGINAL: UK Will

Then yeah, it is counter sunk!
Old 10-28-2006, 10:34 AM
Timmahh
Banned

vice grips are Locking Jaw pliers. the jaws CLAMP Down on the item used on, giveing great grip from plier to item. when i have issues on counter sunk bolts, i use a dremmel and cutting disc, then cut a slot into the top, and use a regular large slotted screwdriver, applying pressure and turning with one hand, and tapping the top of the screwdriver with a hammer to introduce a SHOCK effect, essentionally helping to free the tight bolt.

Timmahh
Old 10-30-2006, 10:29 AM
UK Will

ORIGINAL: part-time

to get the set screw out put a liitle automotive valve grinding compound in the set screw then try it again
So which would be better/cheaper, this or the EZ out thing?

Also, I thought I'd see about the pull start and was trying to unscrew the centre screw for ages and didn't seem to get anywhere, it was most frustrating, I assume it unscrews counter clockwise? It seemed like it must use a child cap or something! I really think my MT-5 must be cursed or something! The pull start was the first RC thing I threw across the room and I think I'd maybe better sell the MT before I throw it in the bin via an upstairs window! Maybe I should sell the alloy starter ring and just buy a new pull start, if the one I'm 'using' at the moment is anything to go by I have no hope of fitting the damn thing on any pullstart...
Old 10-30-2006, 09:58 PM
J_D

i'll take it off ur hands.. but only if u pay me ..... haha
Old 11-01-2006, 06:41 AM
UK Will

Don't be bloody silly! I'm sure it's not really cursed!

Anyway - no-one answered my question about how best to sort the grub screw problem on the spur gear/carrier, I take it I can't/shouldn't try and force it off??

Also, the pullstart - does the centre screw unscrew anticlockwise or what? I don't get how I could be trying to unscrew it for so long and seemingly not get anywhere, what's up with that?