Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

new goodies for the Baja!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

new goodies for the Baja!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 11:59 PM
Timmahh
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new goodies for the Baja!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, after a nasty lil thing cutting performance in my motor like others, i finally made a choice and just installed the race ported 28.5 kit from DDM.

Installation was uneventful. went together easily.

at the same time i installed a new set of clutch shoes ( set 3, just under gal 7 ) with the DDM 7500 spring and TRs Steel Clutch Bell. ( wish i had an 18T pinion ). Im hopeing TRs bell will do alot to help the life of the shoes. I agree with JeepFreak on dirt getting into the vents and helping itself to the shoes.

for the moment, i stuck my gutted stock muffler on it, and tomorrow have to put on a stinger so i dont have another dirt issue.

i went thru the baja and cleaned it all up pretty well, and Filled My Diff Case ( and b4 anyone asks, YES THE CORRECT ONE THIS TIME< and if you have to ask, PLEASE DONT Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing <, with some Mugen 30,000 wt diff lube. thick **** it is. im hoping this will keep more possi going on and hit nicly out of the corners. will see if my drives hold out, ( so whos doing these in steel ? lol ) i sure as hell hope so.

so i got it all back together tonight, all clean and pretty, took it out to the shed, and filled it up.

b4 i filled it i gave it a few pulls ( when i put it together, i lubed it up with a lil amsoil Sabre Pro ) and this thing has some great compression. i useing Premium 91 with the AmsOil at 25:1. so i primmed it, choked it, pulled it twice, and it fired, unchoked it and it took 4 pulls to start. mostly becuz the first 2 pulls, i didnt hold it down hard enough, and pulled it up off the table about 5 inches.lol. but it started right up.

i could tell the differance right away, i set my needles at 1 1/4 on L and 2 on h. seems to like it. i only ran it for about a minute, but had to shut it down and reset the throatle servo horn. once i did that i restarted it and ran it for about 3 minutes, let it idle mostly, checked my horn adjustment.

i think im gonna like this motor. there was a very Noticable differance over the stocker already. im eager to run tomorrow.

so even though i didnt get to run today, it was a good baja day non the less.

Timmahh
Old 11-12-2006, 05:59 AM
J_D

Default RE: new goodies for the Baja!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

awesome.

more power is always fun

wether it be Rc, bikes, 1:1 cars, its always more exciting to have more ponies under the hood :P
Old 11-12-2006, 08:33 AM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

I cannot wait too hear your post today about this engine I hope your drive cups hold up J/K, I put the 27cc kit on my Christmas list, I was impressed with that in my buds FH....
Old 11-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Timmahh
Banned

Man, what a well spent 115.00. This thing RIPS. ive only ran about 1/2 tank, started at 1 1/4 out on L, and 2 out an H. ran pretty good. richend h a bit and it was obviously too rich, so i went back to 2. does pretty good. i ran for a bit, and made another h adjustment to about 1 3/4. runs great!!!!! gave it a touch rich again just to be sure. with out haveing a gps, or Telem, i would estimate im running high 40s, around 48mph. this kit has really Brought the Baja to life..

the 30,000 diff lube seems to be a nice plus. hook up is solid. posi Anytime, and when i hit the gas spool up is immediate and smooth. this is with a gutted stock can and a 3/4 in stinger on it.

the TR Bell is True and Clean. works Very Well. Worth the pennies IMO!!!> should be available at DDM this week or next. I also can notice a nice improvement with Snap off the line and out of the corners, on jump approaches.. i ll attribute this to the DDM 7500 rpm Spring. it engauges just below the spool up with mine, so its a very nice jump off the line. now becuz of the new power, and later engaugeing spring, and all the power flowing thru the bell ( im starting to think the stock bell is a bit weak ) i get ALOT more spin aswell in the soft stuff, and control is a more needed thing....

so far i say for anyone looking, this is a nice kit. I may even get another stocker 28.5, and send it to my buddy in G.R. for some Handy work.
ive not got into it hard yet. i want to put a few tanks thru it first. if i finish the job im on tomorrow, i may have a day or two off b4 the next one starts. if i do, i ll be putting it thru some paces. if not, this weekend the 3 of us are planning on going out n bashing, maybe at the local BMX Bike Track. its small, but should be a blast as the lanes are wide and the jumps are tight.

more later.
Timmahh
Old 11-13-2006, 08:13 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

Great, thanks for the update[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 11-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Timmahh
Banned

OK, becuz my other post was DELETED, cuz i put this one up. i ll just add to it here, and as your help to keep it on top.

Ok Boys and, well Boys, lol. after MUCH *****Footing around, I finally picked up the race ported 28.5 kit from DDM.

first, i ll say, As Always, my order (internet) was processed and shipped out, and i recieved my goodies in 2 days. a big thanks to Brad and the DDM Crew again for being on top of the situation.

now on to the goodies.

i opened up the box, and pulled the kit out. once open i could see the work that was done. very nice indeed. everything was clean, looked even and smooth, and the gaskets were cut to match.

the kit went together like it was ready for action. seemless install.

for some comparrison reasoning, i put the stock can (gutted) on and a 3/4 in stinger. its a bit more than a full stock can, but allows me a close comparrison to the stock setup.

Man the differance is amazing. i set the l needle at 1.25, and the h needle at 2. it fired on pull 2 chocked, and fired on pull 3 unchoked. ran good. i let it run for a few minutes. to warm up, then shut it down. i needed to adjust my throatle horn. after which it fired on the 2nd pull unchoked. this time i ran it for about 10 minutes, on a stand, just to let it get nice and warm and help things seat up a bit... it was 11pm so running wasnt really an option anyways. after a nice lil run and some blips on the thraotle, i slowly reved it up. went to just over 1/2 throatle and let it run for about 30 seconds. let it wind down and then nailed it a few times. spool was NOTICABLY faster than with the stocker.

idled great and it was good for the night.

the next day after i got home from work, i fired it up and went for a ride.
started right up. 2 pulls chocked, 3 pulls unchoked. let it set and warm up for a few minutes. then took a nice 3 or 4 minute drive.
first thing i noticed was the higher rpm needed due to the 7500 rpm spring. there was alot less of the give it gas and it creeps forward. with the 7500 spring, as soon as it starts to creep, it about to hook up and HAUL ASS.Smile Smile Smile Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

so after a lil warm up ride, i started to let it open up a bit more each run

i made a few tuning adjustments and ended up at about 1.20 on the l and 1.80 on the H (tuned a bit rich still ) this seems to be working very well for the kit with the stock can. next time i run i ll be checking the plug colors for verification.

now from a dead stop, the 28.5 rp kit KICKS ASS! Smile Smile Smile
the spool up was snappy, not a light switch snappy but, it was smooth and even pretty much thru the rpm range. im gonna richen the l a tad and see if i can get a bit more out of the mids. the low was great, and mids were really good, but i think i can pinch a bit more out of it with a better tune on the l. i really cant comment on the top yet as i have yet to really nail it and leter ride. Cool i ve only put 1/2 a tank thru it, so i want to run 2 full tanks thru it b4 for i retune it all and worry about the top end.

I will say this though. i can notice a Major differance in top speed already, even without getting INTO it Shocked . i know i cant expect much with the gutted stock can in its current state, but over the stock set up. WOW. Wink

the nibs ESP 260 was running with me, and the 2 ran pretty close most of the time. after a gallon of fuel, we ll get a better idea of how the 2 differ.

i ll get back with more on the top end after i run the motor in a bit more. but i expect it to be nice. i would say im getting mid 40s pretty easily without getting to the top. let me get a set of onroad tires made up, and the xcan back on with a retune, and i m expecting one hell of a fast baja. im willing to bet i ll be near or over 50 once the motor is run in.

So. for those of you interested in an upgrade, but are unsure how to go as the choices are endless,
the 130.00s for the rp 28.5 kit is well worth the price of admission.

it took me about 2.5 hrs to do the swap over. i cleaned everything up as i did it. the kit was easy to use, and works VERY WELL. this, to the best of my knowledge, is the biggest dicplacement kit you can go with on the 28mm crank, without going to the TS stuff.
i like the fact with the 28mm, you ll retain RPMs, and with the displacement, the torque increase is overall a major improvement.

will try to get some videos of the 28.5 kit, the ESP 260 Zen, and the ESP 30.5 Kit running this weekend. i hope the weather is decent so we can have a good run and get some good video.

installing the 7500 spring and the TR Clutch Bell has definatly made the baja one gnarly ***** as well !!!!!
the spring, with new cy shoes, and a TR clutch bell just GETS IT. i ll put a gallon or 2 thru it and check the shoe wear. im hopeing the TR Bell helps alot, which im sure it will. also a few great items to get. if the shoes wear out fast again, its time for an adjustable 2 or 4 shoe clutch. Elcon makes a 4 shoe that may be the ticket.

Timmahh