Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

BAJA 5B DIFF ISSUES --MUST READ

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Gary_C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAJA 5B DIFF ISSUES --MUST READ

Ok everyone, If you have or are getting a BAJA, first thing to do is take it apart!!! Take out the diff and seal it up or you'll most likelly be buying another one. 3 of us who race all an the same track dirt/ grass/ baseball sand, have gone through the diffs in a matter of 5-6 tanks of gas. What we have found is that the silicone fluid in the diff (if there was any to start with) comes out under centifugal force through the case halves. You may think the gasket is sufficient but it's not!!! 1 of our diffs had no oil in it to begin with and broke imediately. The other 2 were not long after and upon inspection found the case halves not sealing in the unsupported corners. The resolve? clean and assumbe the diff dry. clean the outside cases with brake clean and inject RTV around the outer perinmeter of the cases behind the ring gear, seal it up all around the gear whick seals the case halves. Now if the gasket fails or the case halves are warped (like mine are) the silicone fluid stays inside. Ok, let hte RTV cure and the fill the diff through the screw hole on the case unti it is FULL. put both screws back in the diff and again clean it and seal the screws over with more RTV. This will give you a completely sealed diff case and no way for fluid to leak out and ruin your day. I beat the piss out of mine today for 2 hours power slidding through grass and hard pack dirt and the diff feels like its brand new!!!
Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2006, 03:54 PM
hellya

Default RE: BAJA 5B DIFF ISSUES --MUST READ

keep up the good work[sm=thumbup.gif] thats a small picture can you blow it up
Old 11-18-2006, 05:36 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

WHAT????????? I haven't had this problem........
Old 11-18-2006, 10:01 PM
fourwheeler

Me either..I haven't had this issue appear yet. Not saying you haven't but I haven't heard others saying anything about it. Maybe you and your buddies got the first 3 made on the Monday morning shift [X(]
Old 11-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: fourwheeler

Me either..I haven't had this issue appear yet. Not saying you haven't but I haven't heard others saying anything about it. Maybe you and your buddies got the first 3 made on the Monday morning shift [X(]

Or the last 3 made on a friday afternoon....
Old 11-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Timmahh
Banned

there have only been a few people with diff issues like you have described. the 3 here by me are and have been fine. there was almost no lube in any of the diff cases, but a tear down and refill works fine. you do know the diff case seals are a one time use. they are NOT reusable. you must use a new diff case gasket every time!!!!! that is why you get 2 extras in your parts bag, and they come 6 to a package when you purchase them....

call HPI and let them know what your issues are, im sure CS will get you taken care of.

hth
Timmahh
Old 11-19-2006, 03:42 AM
Earth Surfer

Looks like some people got the diffs assembled before lunch break---and some after lunch break.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:59 AM
Rcgasserman

Me and the 2 other Baja owners that i run with have ad 0 diff issues. Non of us have 1 wheel unloading either. Good ol' posi traction at its best.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Timmahh
Banned

ah the infamous 3 toke lunch hr..

i will say all 3 here did NEED more diff fluid, but no issues have been seen (at least to date) on any of them. all diff parts look and work fine.
Timmahh
Old 11-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Jloc

What diff lube are you guys running???
Old 11-19-2006, 04:16 PM
aluminum crusher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Gary_C

Ok everyone, If you have or are getting a BAJA, first thing to do is take it apart!!! Take out the diff and seal it up or you'll most likelly be buying another one. 3 of us who race all an the same track dirt/ grass/ baseball sand, have gone through the diffs in a matter of 5-6 tanks of gas. What we have found is that the silicone fluid in the diff (if there was any to start with) comes out under centifugal force through the case halves. You may think the gasket is sufficient but it's not!!! 1 of our diffs had no oil in it to begin with and broke imediately. The other 2 were not long after and upon inspection found the case halves not sealing in the unsupported corners. The resolve? clean and assumbe the diff dry. clean the outside cases with brake clean and inject RTV around the outer perinmeter of the cases behind the ring gear, seal it up all around the gear whick seals the case halves. Now if the gasket fails or the case halves are warped (like mine are) the silicone fluid stays inside. Ok, let hte RTV cure and the fill the diff through the screw hole on the case unti it is FULL. put both screws back in the diff and again clean it and seal the screws over with more RTV. This will give you a completely sealed diff case and no way for fluid to leak out and ruin your day. I beat the piss out of mine today for 2 hours power slidding through grass and hard pack dirt and the diff feels like its brand new!!!
I have put almost 3 gallons thru my baja and have run it like crazy every time and no diff issue's for me. The only thing I need is a set of rear tires and have been needing them for a long time. But after 3 gallons of gas thru it, it might be time to check the diff's? What do you guy's think when it's time to check the diff's after 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,or 20 gallons LOL... but let me know. Thanks
Old 11-19-2006, 08:29 PM
Timmahh
Banned

2 of the 3 here are useing the stock 1000w diff fluid. i used some MUGEN 30,000 w silicone diff fluid when i opened mine up last time.. i need to add some more to it, as i only put in about 1/2 of what i should of.

anohter i heard is using 50,000 with good results. BUT. with the viscous drive plates, one could use too think of an oil. 50,000 or 60,000 would be the max i would try.

Timmahh