Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

front cables brakes for fg anybody tried

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

front cables brakes for fg anybody tried

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 03:33 PM
outlawti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front cables brakes for fg anybody tried

i was getting ready to order front cable brakes for my fg mt and the lhs owner said he tried some and didnt help much.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:46 PM
original.mb

Default RE: front cables brakes for fg anybody tried

i had some on my fg mb, yes they do work but i found that i had to constantly adjust them to bite when needed.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:18 PM
fgbasher
My Feedback: (10)

I have them on my Monster Hummer and every other offroad and never had a problem. I adjusted them once on my MB and I had that one for a year.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:21 PM
BuggZy99
My Feedback: (2)

i run front tuning brakes on mine and simply no problem at all, maybe in time the cables will stretch but thats why new cables are for sale also. As for performance, mine will litterally lock the front wheels up.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:22 PM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

ya make sure you use a good brake servo as well and i used Blue thread lock on my adjusting bolts , i feel they are definetly a must , and i dont need to adjust them often but i can never leave things alone ..
Old 11-21-2006, 04:27 PM
8000ft

yes they do help bunches,when adjusted. HOWEVER they are areal pain to keep maintained, by this I mean that they need constant adjustment, and the cables wear out rather quickly. I went so far as to replace the cables and sheaths with bicycle grade and I'll bet I've redone them 4 times this summer (it is cheap though, about 10$ for 3feet of sheath and 3 feet of cable) BUT thats 140.00$ for the brakes and at least another 40.00$ for rebuilds, for another 100.00$ I could have just bought hydros......which I wish I had done .......
Old 11-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: outlawti

i was getting ready to order front cable brakes for my fg mt and the lhs owner said he tried some and didnt help much.
Did he happen to bring up that for $250 more he could get you a set of Hydros that work flawlessly??
They help tons!! I however gave up the front cables and opted for rear cables because locking the fronts up made power sliding impossible. I use a 1/4 scale servo for throttle and rear cable brakes and I NEVER have a problem with them, just minor adjustments every gallon or so due to pad wear. The guy at the hobby shop must not have set them up right if he has tried them at all.

8000ft... Exactly what is wearing out on you cables? I have seen no significant wear at all. Were there any sharp bends when routed to the brakes?
Old 11-21-2006, 07:39 PM
T I G

Acs guitars,

What car/truck do you have? Do you happen to have a picture of your rear brake set-up? I would like to do the same with mine for the same reason. I am curious to see the 1/4 scale servo mounted to. Would a 1/4 scale servo work on an MT for throttle/brake? Can the front brake set be modded to fit the rear? I have a front disc set-up.

Thanks
Old 11-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Acs_guitars

Give me a little while and I'll get you some pics... My engine is currently on it's way back from O'neill Bros so it is in pieces, but I think I can together enough to get you a pic. [8D]

Oh yeah... I have an FG Marder.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:57 PM
T I G

Thanks Acs, I appreciate it.
What truck is that in your avator? It looks like a 1/4 scale. Do you have any pics of that? Its hard to find anyone with 1/4 scale.

Later
Old 11-21-2006, 08:17 PM
JDLearjet

I have mounted front cable brakes on my onroad car with awsome success. No cable wear, and the car stops on a dime. I have the setting on the third channel, with partial brakes at slight touch, and full brakes at full trigger stop. Third channel with 1/4 scale servo, coupled with rear layshaft brakes are just amazing. If you have the right & left brakes set equally, the center setting (on the rod to the servo) makes adjusting a breeze. Anti-lock brake setting can be helpfull also, depending on the surface condition of the road. I prefer without anti-lock, however.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Acs_guitars

ORIGINAL: T I G

Thanks Acs, I appreciate it.
What truck is that in your avator? It looks like a 1/4 scale. Do you have any pics of that? Its hard to find anyone with 1/4 scale.

Later

Yes the Avatar is a 1/4 scale QRS Trophy Truck.... Not mine tho [][][]

Anyway here are a few pics of the brakes and servo tray.... Sorry for the quality, the digital camera needs charged so these are from my video camera. I hope this is what you want to see, as I said, I am without a motor right now so a few things are missing.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50124.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	564591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81842.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	564592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61329.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	564593  
Old 11-21-2006, 09:11 PM
htawfik3

I think the cable for rear breaks are the same cables FG used to install them as throttle and barks cables with VW and murder long time ago
Old 11-21-2006, 09:53 PM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

I've had front cable tunning brakes on my Leopard Race and all four on my Marder with no problems at all. Sure they may need some adjusting over time but that's part of the hobby. I've also found Krikke racing cables work much smoother than the FG's
Old 11-22-2006, 01:53 AM
jasrx

i run cables on the front of my MT , it pulls up great . i am using the HS-5995TG [24kg] servo so that would help . as for haqving to adjust them from time to time so what as others have said thats part of the hobbie .
Old 11-22-2006, 02:14 AM
caad5

Spend the extra money and go hydraulic. The new Magura 2 is an awesome brake with separate brake lines directly from the caliper to the master cylinder. Once bled you never need to adjust them and if the pad wears the caliper takes up the slack automatically. And far better braking response than cable.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:55 AM
hellya

get what your wallet can afford.........Anything is better than the stock brakes

I personally like the hydros once installed, your never have to mess with them again until new pads are needed
Old 11-22-2006, 05:46 AM
jasrx

if ya plan on racing the by all means buy the hydro`s , but if ya just doin some mild bashing then i dont see the avantage . but thats just me [8D]
Old 11-22-2006, 09:51 AM
8000ft

my wear is from dust getting inside the sheaths, the cables don't wear out they just don't pull smoothly or as easily as they should and that results in either the brakes hanging up or one side pulling more than the other and can't be adjusted back to an even pull.

I really didn't like the cable lay-out from the beginning, but I to was on a budget and wanted to do multiple up-grades all at once.

Looking back I wish that I had bought the best of whatever up-grade and then saved up for the best of the next up-grade instead of compromising the final out come of the best performance from the truck as a whole.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:51 PM
T I G

Originally Posted by Acs guitars
Yes the Avatar is a 1/4 scale QRS Trophy Truck.... Not mine tho

Anyway here are a few pics of the brakes and servo tray.... Sorry for the quality, the digital camera needs charged so these are from my video camera. I hope this is what you want to see, as I said, I am without a motor right now so a few things are missing.
Thats it, you got it. Thanks I appreciate it.
I wonder if the front brakes can be modded to work on the rear, it looks like all I would need is the little bracket that screws on the clutch/tranny mount.
The next upgrade for me is a 1/4 scale servo for the throttle/brake.

Thanks again
Old 11-22-2006, 04:03 PM
taffy14

i gave up on the front brakes too,couldnt get them to pull evenly,i ripped em back off and they are sat on my bench,i prefer the rear stoppers
Old 11-22-2006, 04:09 PM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

The front and rear cable brakes are different. I tried to switch them to the back before. The main hosing will not work. The cables do work well you just have to play around with the adjustments. If you have them just keep playing with the adjustments and leave enough room for the cable to get some torque. If the pads are too close then there's no distance for the servo to pull.

Hope this makes sense!

Old 11-22-2006, 04:12 PM
MnMikeRC

Instead of re-working the radio tray to fit another 1/4 scale servo...................Why not use a better servo for the throttle/brake?
Old 11-22-2006, 05:42 PM
Acs_guitars

what standard size servo has 343 oz/in of torque.... it there was one I'd be using it. It wasn't a rework, I ordered it from Hellya with the 1/4 scale slot already in it.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:03 PM
Timmahh
Banned

Acs, the JR Z9000T servo has 333in/oz of torque @ .14ms i think on 6v. its a VERY STOUT standard size digital servo, with metal gears from the factory. 115.00.
Timmahh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.