Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG MT gears info

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 06:39 PM
T I G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FG MT gears info

Hello,
What gears are you guys running in your MTs? I run 1st gear 18/46 and 2nd gear 20/44. I was told 16/48 and 18/46 would be a better choice than what I am running, with the 18/46 and 20/44 I would more than likely snap some kind of pin in the gears or something. I like the gear ratio I have right now but, I would like to know what others are running. I will hopefully be ordering them Monday, because of Thanks Giving. Its killing me just sitting here looking at MT out of comission. Oh, I am a basher. I bash in a pretty BIG Industrial Park parking lot or at a Sand & Gravel Pit.

Anyone out there with a MT and a 2 speed. What gears are you running?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2006, 07:42 PM
aluminum crusher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FG MT gears info

ORIGINAL: T I G

Hello,
What gears are you guys running in your MTs? I run 1st gear 18/46 and 2nd gear 20/44. I was told 16/48 and 18/46 would be a better choice than what I am running, with the 18/46 and 20/44 I would more than likely snap some kind of pin in the gears or something. I like the gear ratio I have right now but, I would like to know what others are running. I will hopefully be ordering them Monday, because of Thanks Giving. Its killing me just sitting here looking at MT out of comission. Oh, I am a basher. I bash in a pretty BIG Industrial Park parking lot or at a Sand & Gravel Pit.

Anyone out there with a MT and a 2 speed. What gears are you running?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I'm running the same gear set up as you are 2 1/2 tanks so far with that gear set up and the jetpro pipe. It's super powerful and super fast so fast it will scare you. But I do not here it shift yet, I have not snap anything do to the gear ratio but I've snap both left and right rear uprights do to hitting tall curbs and those parts are FG's original aluminum parts. You've got the right set up just make sure you have a good tuned pipe, after my jetpro pipe craced on me due to a roll over on the grass the power decreased. SO I put the stock pipe back on and I notice a big change in performance, with that gear set up and a stock pipe the take off is very slower which I don't like but it will have to due for now until I get that pipe fixed or another one. All in All your gear set up is fine just make sure you have on a tuned pipe with it. BY the way I have the chrome steel gears for my 2 speed it was set up by Troy at FG perfomance rc give him a call
Old 11-23-2006, 07:13 PM
02f350psd
My Feedback: (3)

TIG where in mass are you?
Old 11-23-2006, 09:08 PM
ScooterTrash

[8D]Hi Tig, the 16/48 and 18/46 will give you more pulling power {off the line or hole shot} & the 18/46 and 20/44 you would have more top end! You would be more than likely snap [:@] some kind of pin in the gears or something with the the 16/48 and 18/46 set up! But I don't think it would snap anything! Stock FG MT-5 has 16/48 & with a ProJet pipe!, All is well,[sm=thumbup.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18017.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	565681  
Old 11-23-2006, 11:13 PM
aluminum crusher

ORIGINAL: ScooterTrash

[8D]Hi Tig, the 16/48 and 18/46 will give you more pulling power {off the line or hole shot} & the 18/46 and 20/44 you would have more top end! You would be more than likely snap [:@] some kind of pin in the gears or something with the the 16/48 and 18/46 set up! But I don't think it would snap anything! Stock FG MT-5 has 16/48 & with a ProJet pipe!, All is well,[sm=thumbup.gif]
I have the 18/46 to 20/44 set up and I have not snap anything no pins or nuts or bolts etc.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:46 PM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: aluminum crusher
I have the 18/46 to 20/44 set up and I have not snap anything no pins or nuts or bolts etc.
I have found this ratio works well with the monster tire package with a tuned pipe. Personally I like the 48/16 and 42/22 for great all around performance. This combo provides wheelies and top speed. The only issue is when driven hard you will break the shift pin in the second gear carrier. If this occurs it is a simple fix; just drill out the hole (where the shift pin came from) to accept a 4mm bolt of suitable length and you are back in business.
With this gearing and a Jetpro v1 unsilenced pipe my truck would do wheelies on command and reached a 300 foot drag race speed of 49mph Confirmed by a (real mounted in cop) car radar gun

Good luck!
Old 11-24-2006, 12:06 AM
aluminum crusher

ORIGINAL: chowderhead72

I have found this ratio works well with the monster tire package with a tuned pipe. Personally I like the 48/16 and 42/22 for great all around performance. This combo provides wheelies and top speed. The only issue is when driven hard you will break the shift pin in the second gear carrier. If this occurs it is a simple fix; just drill out the hole (where the shift pin came from) to accept a 4mm bolt of suitable length and you are back in business.
With this gearing and a Jetpro v1 unsilenced pipe my truck would do wheelies on command and reached a 300 foot drag race speed of 49mph Confirmed by a (real mounted in cop) car radar gun

Good luck!
Yep that sounds good and sweet but I did not want mine to hit wheelies when I smash the throttle so I opt for the 18/46 to 20/44 and it's fast I just don't hear it shift into second gear, what about you do you hear yours shift.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:21 AM
chowderhead72

Yep that sounds good and sweet but I did not want mine to hit wheelies when I smash the throttle so I opt for the 18/46 to 20/44 and it's fast I just don't hear it shift into second gear, what about you do you hear yours shift.

[/quote]

Yes you will surely hear a shift. Have you EVER heard it shift?
Old 11-24-2006, 09:26 AM
aluminum crusher

ORIGINAL: chowderhead72

Yes you will surely hear a shift. Have you EVER heard it shift?
[/quote]
NO not yet.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:28 AM
T I G

02f350psd,
I live in Waltham. I used to live in Randolph.

Chowderhead,
Thats the pin, the second gear shift pin. Is it ok to have such a spread in gears (16/48-22/42), I was told to stay within 2 teeth when choosing pinion gears.
I wonder if swapping out the pin in favor of a 4mm bolt would be a decent mod to prevent this from happening.

I like the performance out of the 18/46-20/44, I am not sure that I would like wheelies every time I romp on it, occasionally yes, not all the time though.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:47 PM
htawfik3

TIG, I tried all gear ratios available for FG , I believe the best ratio is 16/48 and 21/42 if you are looking to drive without a risk of damaging pin for second gear, if you would like to take little risk go for 22/42.

If your engine size more than 26CC, 18/46 and 21/42 will be good choice also
I use to turn screw of second gear shaft ¼ turn anti clock to get faster engagement of second gear, you will not hear sound of second gear easily but you will feel speed.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:21 PM
T I G

Thanks htawfik3, I have a 30.5 CY, in fact I think I do have 18/46 and 21/42. I'll have to go tripple check.

Later
Old 11-25-2006, 07:26 PM
htawfik3

TIG, the CY 30cc is powerful engine I believe you don't need to go for 16/48, the engine will let your truck accelerate good unless you like wheelies, for 21/42 , for the 21 gear it is easy to recognize because it is not plastic or steel, the gear made form alloy which is extremely light and it is anodized with very dark brown color

Good Luck and have fun
Old 11-26-2006, 10:28 AM
T I G

Thanks again htawfik3, I was wrong, I have a 20 tooth pinion for my second gear. Its plastic to.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2006, 08:55 PM
T I G

Man, I'm so mad[:@]. I ordered a single pinion gear for my 2 speed, just to get me going. He sent me a gear for a single speed[sm=48_48.gif], AAAARRRGGGHHHH, now I have to wait another week or two. Man, I just want to go bash. I have been using my Nitro Truggy and my daughter Buggy, its just not as fun, plus tuning it sucks.

Anyone want to trade a 1/5 or 1/6 scale heck if you have a 1/4 scale lying around collecting dust.

I have a Jammin CRT RTR with Picco FT .28 , CRT Pro Clutch assembly, CRT Pro motor mount, Ofna 12V starter box, 3 new wheels for starter box. Its is in near mint condition.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:29 AM
MnMikeRC

Are you sure you are talking about a pinion gear or a spur gear? The pinion gears are all the same for single or 2 speeds. Only the spur gears are different on the 2 speeds.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:35 PM
T I G

Yup, I am sure. My 2 speed pinions have an oval/oblong center. The single speed has a round center. BUT, the single speed pinion can be used with the included set screws. I just didnt think it would hold up. The last thing I want, is to lose a pinion out in a field or a parking lot. I did use an extra set screw that I had lying around and used a little lock tight for extra security.

I actually just got back from a little bash session with my daughter, she has a GS Storm.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:06 PM
chowderhead72

Unless there has been a recent design change that I missed the shaft shape is the same on the two speed clutch bell and the single speed bell. The different shape is on the layshaft where the final drive pinion meets the diff spur. Clutch bell shafts should be oblong with two opposing flats (football(NFL) shaped)