Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

engine troubles....

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 12:07 AM
TheFgMan01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine troubles....

Hi all! this is a kinda brand new hummer! Well the engine acts up when it wants too, like today when i got to pull the rob and start it up, it starts dosent run smooth and shut off. it did this about 3 times untill i gave it alittle bit of throttle then was fine!?!? the day before it starts fine but in the middle of running it the engine just dies???? which is unusual because the marder never gave me this trouble and it 2 years old. i try and start it again but its hard to get it running but ran like CRAP. i've discover a leak in the smaller black fuel line and replaced it with a stronger rubber fuel hose... which is a tiny tiny bit smaller in flow if you know what im saying and it ran alittle better. i inspected the yellow fuel line and theres nothing visable. but still going on since i fixed one crack in the hose. so what could be wrong here, im thinking air leak but if you've guys had this trouble was it the inner carb gasket before the intake manifold? or anything else im not seeing, any input would be appreciated.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:19 AM
Timmahh
Banned

Default RE: engine troubles....

drop a new plug in. it cant hurt, check your coil didnt loosen up and change the gap at your flywheel. check for spark loss. also try to disco the kill switch to make sure its not a bit funky. dont forget to plug it back in if things are ok with it.

what are your needle settings? clean filters? pluged exhuast? any of these things can and will screw with performance.

see what that gets ya, you ll need to get your hypenated words out or your thread will probably be deleted by a mod asap! fyi.

Timmahh
Old 12-21-2006, 12:52 AM
TheFgMan01

yeah i will see how to get to my coil tonite since im up, suprisingly i clean that thing real good after each run including the filter and re-oiling it. i set the needle's alittle richer than factory... runs alittle better for me that wat as far as the gap goes on the fly wheel, what should it be gapped at??
Old 12-21-2006, 02:43 AM
TheFgMan01

alright i took it apart and the coil and kill switch seemed to be pretty normal... geez you'd be suprised where dirt and mud ends up.. [sm=tongue_smile.gif] but yeah ill trow on a new gasket and plug tomarrow and see if the problem still exists. thanks on the tip
Old 12-21-2006, 04:48 AM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

What engine is it?
Old 12-21-2006, 09:07 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

How about the carb needles. Since you are way past break in you can set the needles to Zenoah factory spec and then tweak for full performance.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92957.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	581243  
Old 12-21-2006, 09:23 AM
ScooterTrash

HI TheFgMan01, I set the coil/flywheel gap at .014" and the Zen owners manual (converted to English measurement) is .012" to .016". Most business cards are .011" and a piece of paper is about .003" to .004". I use both of those together.

Name:	Bz78086.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	581245  
Old 12-21-2006, 06:39 PM
TheFgMan01

Thanks guy's yeah i have the Zenoah 26cc...
Old 12-22-2006, 02:29 AM
quickdraw

Check the isolator block and see if it is warped. If so, that will cause a lean condition also. Zenoah's have a habit of warping these alot. Another thing to check is the filter in the carb itself. It is inside right where the fuel enters it. A small fine screen. Even if you have a filter before it. Sometimes they get crud in there too.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:39 PM
TheFgMan01

the block looks fine, i will try to clean the carb out. how often do new engine blow head gaskets? has that happend o anyone with a somewhat new engine? i ask because i just found out i blew the head gasket in my Marder when i took the engine apart. but the marder i had for two years now. how ever this truck is brand new and im getting common problems other get with irratic idle sometimes and shutting off in the middle of runs and sometimes hard to start... beats me
Old 12-22-2006, 11:41 PM
BuggZy99
My Feedback: (2)

off topic, did you get my pm about the ddm pipe ??
I was out playing today and had that pipe on, and trust me, i stand 100% behind what i said.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:50 PM
TheFgMan01

^^ yeah i got your PM buddy... guess what?? if your that that happy up there with it then you and Ryan@DDM have me convince soo... im sending a money order tomarrow and pretty soon front cable brake and some aluminum parts later on. i cant wait! i really want some bumper scrapin wheelis. forget about a wheelie bar [8D]
Old 12-23-2006, 12:07 AM
jasrx

ORIGINAL: TheFgMan01

the block looks fine, i will try to clean the carb out. how often do new engine blow head gaskets? has that happend o anyone with a somewhat new engine? i ask because i just found out i blew the head gasket in my Marder when i took the engine apart. but the marder i had for two years now. how ever this truck is brand new and im getting common problems other get with irratic idle sometimes and shutting off in the middle of runs and sometimes hard to start... beats me
my head gasket blew after 2 weeks of owning my MT . but ever since i replaced it i havnt had any more drama`s . i have a spare gasket just incase .
Old 12-23-2006, 12:45 AM
TheFgMan01

Hey Jasrx, i have two head gaskets coming! now one is copper and one is the stock headgasket. stock is for marder, along with ring and piston now the copper gasket i got as thin as i could which is .005 and it coming from DDM with other stuff. do you think ill notice any performace with a thinner gasket?? stock is .20 and i may replce the Hummer with the copper .005 if thats the prob.. let me know what you think
Old 12-23-2006, 01:42 AM
Timmahh
Banned

the biggest issue you need to worry about with thinner gaskets, is you piston hitting the head. with a stock 23 cc motor upgraded to a stroked 29cc say, you need to stack gaskets to get clearance. if you dont need the xtra clearance, then as long as the gasket is thick enough to keep the piston off the top. you should see some differances that would be good. unlike a beat to ship piston due to improper clearance.
Timmahh
Old 12-23-2006, 03:42 PM
JayFGmad

Hi Every One Hi The fg man im having same sort of problem i have a marder which had a 23cc init worked all the time no problem but only a few weeks ago i got a new engine 30.5 cc thinking new engine no probs but got to my 4th tank running it in and thats when it happened just stopped and would not run. If you gave it choke it would start and run for a bit which was strange then if you knock the choke off the engine started to rev really high. Since Then i have changed plug but still the same it will run with choke on but you let choke off and revs go up. I did come on here to see if you tried to clean the carb filter out like Quickdraw told you to try only because i have a minimoto which was the same running problem and it was a filter in the carb. Can you let me know if it worked sorry about the sa many thanks jay

Name:	Ay75621.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	582385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48281.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	582386  
Old 12-23-2006, 04:07 PM
Roscco

ORIGINAL: JayFGmad

init worked all the time no problem but
LOL, i presume you English people understand that 'init' should really be 'and it' ??? I mean, our language is named after your nation yet you fail to be able to utilise it properly. Wonders will never cease

Sorry, i didn't realise your new to the forum. Welcome to the community

Roscco - from Scotland
Old 12-23-2006, 08:47 PM
TheFgMan01

Hi Every One Hi The fg man im having same sort of problem i have a marder which had a 23cc init worked all the time no problem but only a few weeks ago i got a new engine 30.5 cc thinking new engine no probs but got to my 4th tank running it in and thats when it happened just stopped and would not run. If you gave it choke it would start and run for a bit which was strange then if you knock the choke off the engine started to rev really high. Since Then i have changed plug but still the same it will run with choke on but you let choke off and revs go up. I did come on here to see if you tried to clean the carb filter out like Quickdraw told you to try only because i have a minimoto which was the same running problem and it was a filter in the carb. Can you let me know if it worked sorry about the sa many thanks jay

it's more than likely the head gasket bro....BUT, check your fuel line's first for cracks if you havent already. That'll mess a good running car up terribly. Mine did the same same, irratic idle and just stopped. then i notice part of the gasket hanging out of the block. so bothe of my FG car's are getting head gaskets my truck is doing it just not as much only in the middle of runs. shuts off and really hard to start back up. you have to give it throttle.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:47 AM
JayFGmad

You was right head bolts were loose many thanks

P.S And Thanks to Roscco - from Scotland For the English lesson
Old 12-24-2006, 09:54 AM
Earth Surfer

You was right head bolts were loose many thanks

P.S And Thanks to Roscco - from Scotland For the English lesson

That happened to me about two miles from home on a ped. Had to walk. Damn thing was heavy.

Another thing that I think is very important is your air filter. I can't stress enough that a good foam filter, using tacky foam air filter oil is the way to go for off road type stuff. But, if it blocks the dirt from off road better, it will also block better on road. Water will grab dirt and flow it through the filter though, so try to stay out of the water. I do like the outerwears for wet coditions. I just mention this because lots of people wonder why their engines are losing power. Over a bit of time will do this also, as your top end gets trashed. IMO, get a good foam filter if your using something else, then all you have to worry about is all the stuff the guys mentioned above.