Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Just to stir the pot

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 10:07 PM
lever02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just to stir the pot

Ok guys, after much debate (with myself)(and a few of you) (Yep the wife is worried) I have narrowed my views to the mcd racerunner 4x4, lauterbacher superx and the j&a mamba. Just wanted to throw this bone to the dogs and let y'all hash it out. Let me hear your thoughts pro and con. One note or two- I will never race in an organized event and driving my high dollar toy off of a parking garage to get more air time is not gonna happen. looking for reliable fast fun in the dirt. (starting to sound kinda like sex?) Let's refrain from getting off topic concerning alloy and plastic. Thank you.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:40 PM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Just to stir the pot

If money isn't a problem then a MCD Racerunner would be MY choice. 4WD- shaft driven, just plain cool!!
Old 01-06-2007, 10:47 PM
warriorking

for the MCD[sm=thumbs_up.gif][8D]
Old 01-06-2007, 11:02 PM
lever02

Found this from Bribeguy...nicely put..
No New Messages
bribeguy

Click to learn more about the advantages of upgrading your membership here at RC Universe

Status: offline While the wheels will fit, it is good to note that the tires that the MCD runs with out of the box are a bit bigger in diameter then the ones typicly found on a Marder-style FG.

As for your other questions jeepfreak1972:

-How well does it handle and jump compared to the other large scale cars?

Well! The MCD stays planted much better then a FG, and 95% as well as a Baja. The suspension seems VERY stiff compaired to a Baja when pushing down on the car, but it's amazing how much it livens up once moving.

-Does it corner better than the other cars out there or does the 4x4 make it push in the turns?

The 4wd makes it much easier to control in a turn. The car litterally goes where you point it. I have experiance very little puch with mine. In all actuality, I'd venture that under power, my MCD Racerunner turns better then my Brushless HPI Savage. As a bonus too, the amount of power on tap from a 26cc+ motor, allows to break all 4 tires free in a turn, and do rally-style "drift" turns. Hella fun!

-Can it take the pounding of reasonable jumps? Does it fly good. My Baja like to fly nose low and it pisses me off.

This all depends on what you consider a "reasonable" jump! LOL. I have not gotten alot of air time with mine yet, but the few jumps I have taken have been smooth and controlled. A decent jump and a finger on the throttle tends to yeild a nice flight path.

-Is the MCD more correctable in the air because of more rotating mass from being 4x4?

While the 4wd will offer you more attitude adjustment in the air then a 2wd vehicle, the MCD 's weight still stops it from being as dramaticly "flicable" in the air as a 1/8 scale buggy/truck. It's definaetly more controllable then a Baja, however.

-How well do the gears hold up?

After a gallon of fuel in some seriously messy and dirty conditions, mine are still holding up well. There are definately some wear marks from small stones and sand getting in, but nothing that is hurting the performance as of yet. I
m guessing I'll probably end up having to swap out the gears once/year or so if I keep driving in the condistions I do.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-07-2007, 08:51 AM
swatlien

Get the MCD.... but IMO, it jumps like a Tank and if you dont nail the approach with a good application of throttle control, get ready for a nasty crash. IMO, my baja tracks much better in the air than my MCD. My MCD loves to nose dive. On my track, the jumps are like 8inch high speed bumps, nothing major but they could really beat your car up if you don't hit them right. My baja and leopard are much better jumpers. Every jump with my MCD is an adventure.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88256.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	592668  
Old 01-07-2007, 09:09 AM
lever02

Guess the Mcd being approx 4 lbs heavier doesn't help. Unsure about the difference in wheelbase if any. Nobody gonna talk up the lauterbacher or Mamba?