Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

XTM 1/6 scale buggy, Duratrax Firehammer

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

XTM 1/6 scale buggy, Duratrax Firehammer

Old 01-16-2007, 05:55 PM
NitroBurn1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XTM 1/6 scale buggy, Duratrax Firehammer

I found an XTM buggy that i am going to buy but i wanted to know if it is the same as the firehammer, will all firehammer parts fit? I will be buying a DDM pipe too, and i was wondering if anyone has a picture of their firehammer or xtm with the DDM pipe so i can see how it fits under the body.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:20 PM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: XTM 1/6 scale buggy, Duratrax Firehammer

I have the XTM, its the same as the FG Marder race version, has threaded alloy shocks and gear cover and a few other things.
The marder , Firehammer, XTM, Carson, and Spider are the same buggys.
I have a list of parts that fit, and there are more that are not on the list.
Look throught he forum and you will see they all are pretty much the same.
Have fun.
http://www.molzermoweryracing.com/firehammer.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13091.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	599607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk69508.jpg
Views:	841
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	599608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr20735.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	599609  
Old 01-16-2007, 08:25 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

XTM just needs a new airfilter setup...either the fg one or duratrax firehammer one. The stock xtm air filter setup ia junk.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:58 PM
NitroBurn1

ORIGINAL: teamchrome

I have the XTM, its the same as the FG Marder race version, has threaded alloy shocks and gear cover and a few other things.
The marder , Firehammer, XTM, Carson, and Spider are the same buggys.
I have a list of parts that fit, and there are more that are not on the list.
Look throught he forum and you will see they all are pretty much the same.
Have fun.
http://www.molzermoweryracing.com/firehammer.htm
Thanks.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:08 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

XTM buggy parts (at least from Hobby People) are ridiculously overpriced. 99% of the Firehammer parts are identical to the XTM (more so than FG parts). The only known difference is the air cleaner assembly.

If you need replacement parts I encourage you to price out Duratrax first at your local hobby shop or at Tower Hobbies.

I needed a gas tank once. I ordered the XTM tank because it is identical and paid $40. The same tank at Tower Hobbies in the Duratrax brand is $5. I also needed some shock absorber end pieces once. Tower was out of stock in the Duratrax parts so I ordered from Hobby People and paid 400% more ($8 versus $2) for the XTM parts.

It is good to have multiple brands be identical like that. Get the Firehammer parts when they are available and pay less or if you are in a pinch and Tower or LHS is out of stock, go to Hobby People and buy the XTM parts.

By the way, go order a steel pinion gear over at fg-hopups.com for $30 or so. The plastic pinion gears heat up and strip very easily and will frustrate the heck out of you. If you plan to stick with the plastic pinion keep a couple of spares on hand.

fg-hopups.com also has alloy replacement engine mounts for the XTM and Firehammer buggies for $90. The engine mounts are another area of frustration with these buggies. The plastic stock mounts allow the engine to move and the diff ring gear and layshaft gear mesh gets messed up. This leads to stripping of these expensive steel gears. You can thread lock these alloy engine mounts and tighten the screws down better than the plastic mounts. This will lock this mesh in place and you will never have trouble from the gear mesh.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:09 PM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

Junk is right.
Get a Firehammer or FG airfilter.
Stay away from the pretty looks and glamoure of a K&N, I dont care WHO trys to tell you otherwise. Not made for off road even with a prefilter.
This is the Stock FG and a Redneck prefilter from TGN, they can be found anywhere that deals with 1/5 scale, look around on here..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81016.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	599717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70013.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	599718