Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

BAJA or FIREHAMMER $900+vs$600????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

BAJA or FIREHAMMER $900+vs$600????

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:08 AM
crrcboatz
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAJA or FIREHAMMER $900+vs$600????

Ok I had decided to get a BAJA but the $900 plus vs the firehammer for $600 is crossing my mind. Sooooo is the BAJA worth the 300-350 extra? Firehammer is NIB from someone locally.

Input appreciated

Curt
Old 01-17-2007, 12:33 AM
frumpy

Default RE: BAJA or FIREHAMMER $900+vs$700????

Hey Curt.There's a good deal on a baja in the marketplace here on RCU
Old 01-17-2007, 01:01 AM
crrcboatz

Tnks Frumpy, sent the guy an email requesting pics asap. But as you can tell the price on the Firehammer has changed. Contacted the owner locally it is NIB and he will sell it to me for $600 now.

Regards Curt
Old 01-17-2007, 09:42 AM
bigger the better

The Baja here ends up being a deal if you want the wheels, cause that is what ends up to be free in the purchase if you add it all up. But, will the warranty carry over to the new owner?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:57 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: BAJA or FIREHAMMER $900+vs$600????

Okay, I will vote for the $600 Firehammer. There are some known weaknesses with the FH such as:

- Plastic pinion - steel pinion from fg-hopups.com for $30 solves the problem
- Plastic engine mounts - alloy mounts again from fg-hopups.com for $90 sovles this problem
- Plastic differential case - FG alloy diff case #8484 $70 from several US FG dealers

With the hardening upgrades above you will have a very sturdy buggy that will stand up to some harsh bashing.

The engines and exhaust systems are the same between the two. Some Baja owners are not happy with the stock performance of the Baja. Very few Firehammer owners are initially disappointed with stock performance. Most everyone here gets an X-Can exhaust or a tuned pipe at some point. Both the Baja and FH become beasts with a pipe.

I have had my Firehammer for a couple of years and have been happy with it after getting its weaknesses fixed.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:15 AM
huw4027

I have both of them and if i had bought the Baja 5b first i would have never
bought the Firehammer. I just love the looks and design of the Baja. [8D]
I only bought the Hammer because i got a very good deal on it.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:40 PM
huw4027

Check this out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-1-5-BAJA-5B-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-17-2007, 12:43 PM
34Ford

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to bad. $900 to your door in the US.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:48 PM
critrmac

As soon as you get the steel pinion, alloy motor mounts and the metal diff case, the
firehammer will be just as much a beast as the baja5b, i was all set to get a baja5b,
went home thought about it, happend to stumble across rc universe, saw a hammer,
read the review, looked at the video ( also looked at baja video's ), and made my
decision (FH), and it was not becuase of a less costly buggy, it was because i prefered
the look of the firehammer, and besides that by the time ya add those small hop-ups,
ya still come out spending less on the initial purchase. no favoritism here, just real.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:03 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: critrmac

As soon as you get the steel pinion, alloy motor mounts and the metal diff case, the
firehammer will be just as much a beast as the baja5b, i was all set to get a baja5b,
went home thought about it, happend to stumble across rc universe, saw a hammer,
read the review, looked at the video ( also looked at baja video's ), and made my
decision (FH), and it was not becuase of a less costly buggy, it was because i prefered
the look of the firehammer, and besides that by the time ya add those small hop-ups,
ya still come out spending less on the initial purchase. no favoritism here, just real.
I got the XTM a firehammer clone and the Baja...they aren't even close to the same. The XTM has terrible suspension compared to the Baja...the cost of upgrades I'd say needed for both is about the same. Baja needs a exhaust the stock one sucks($80)...XTM/Firehammer needs alloy motor mounts and steel pinion and exhaust it's stock one sucks also, but a replacement is cheaper($145). The baja's a sweet machine very hard to compare it to a firehammer. The XTM/Firehammers aren't very well suited for jumping much either.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:29 PM
34Ford

Oh one more important thing. I have seen small hobby shops selling Baja's but not Hammers.
Mostly due to Horizon Hobbies dealership.

Sometimes its nice to have a shop you can drive to and buy a part.

This is the same problem with Esky helicopters vs E-Flite.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:58 PM
critrmac

If you payed attention to any of my post, i never siad they where close to being the same,and i ain't try'in to jump it to jupiter either.
ORIGINAL: badz

I got the XTM a firehammer clone and the Baja...they aren't even close to the same. The XTM has terrible suspension compared to the Baja...the cost of upgrades I'd say needed for both is about the same. Baja needs a exhaust the stock one sucks($80)...XTM/Firehammer needs alloy motor mounts and steel pinion and exhaust it's stock one sucks also, but a replacement is cheaper($145). The baja's a sweet machine very hard to compare it to a firehammer. The XTM/Firehammers aren't very well suited for jumping much either.
[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 01-17-2007, 10:09 PM
huw4027

Hey guys.........to each his own.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:20 PM
sneff

Do yourself a favor and get the Baja 5b!! you wont regret it!!!!
Old 01-17-2007, 10:46 PM
critrmac

My next addition will more then likely be the MCD off-road race machine. the baja is nice,
i just prefer the looks of the fg/ fh/ mcd style buggy, to each his own
Old 01-18-2007, 07:42 AM
34Ford

So what did you decide Curt?
Old 01-18-2007, 07:47 AM
IONIC-M

I am very happy with my FireHammer! I may have alot of time and money in it but that was by choice!! I put alloy shock pistions in and changed the shock oil. And boy what a differance by night and DAY! If I ever buy anything else it might be the MCD buggy...
Old 01-18-2007, 08:20 AM
huw4027

I hear you loud and clear because i have my eyes on the MCD Monster truck.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:11 AM
warriorking

If you payed attention to any of my post, i never siad they where close to being the same,and i ain't try'in to jump it to jupiter either.

[sm=wink_smile.gif]

I thought you said the reason you went for the fire hammer was because of the price.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_51..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 01-18-2007, 11:33 AM
crrcboatz

Looks like the Baja is best 4 me. My local hobby store has parts for the FG but by the time you upgrade it, I have pcms for radio use, but the other things you are right there with the baja. I did see an FG here on RCU for less than $800 shipped and that caused me to think again. But KISS kicked in and the baja just makes the most sense. It seems to be the most complete without upgrading. I can do my own engine work as I do for my rc gas boats so that is not an issue.

One concern is that it seems EVERY baja owner has immediate shock shaft problems!!
Is there and aftermarket shock that can solve this??

Curt
Old 01-18-2007, 12:19 PM
warriorking

Almost all the shock shaft issue you hear about are from people who are
making and doing big jumps. Plus from what I understand a couple of people
over >>>>(Threading on thin ice here)<<<<< at the other forum are working on that as I type this.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Blackfoot
Banned

couldn't have said it better! Get a Baja 5B!

Old 01-18-2007, 02:28 PM
34Ford

Right on. Baja!

He is already is a member "over there". And thats going to be the best place for a answer.

I wouldn't say "EVERY"body is having shock problems.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:13 PM
sneff

Dont smash into anything!! then you wont have shock shaft problems
Old 01-18-2007, 05:32 PM
critrmac

starting to sound like a Baja FANBOY forum to me over here in this forum, but hey
i guess that's good for the dev's at HPI.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.