Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

How Do You Keep'm Clean!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 11:29 PM
crrcboatz
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do You Keep'm Clean!!

Ok, I have seen some amazingly clean cars on this site in just a few days of joining. For an FNG at this, tell me YOUR method of cleaning the cars after a good day of running, be it mud, sand, grass and dirt, or dirt.

All suggestions will be considered as those from guys that know what has worked best for them.

Curt
Old 01-18-2007, 11:36 PM
sneff

Default RE: How Do You Keep'm Clean!!

I use the air compressor to blow all the stuff off. then remove the radio tray and all the body parts. I simple green the tires and hose the rest of the car off, being carefull not to get water on the air filter. then I dry the car with the air compressor and then douse the car in wd 40 and it comes out spotless!!
Old 01-18-2007, 11:37 PM
TheFgMan01

i use simple green also, but i use an air chuck and it works really well for me. when i would hose my Marder down i found some rustsy parts so i dont hose it anymore.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:09 AM
warriorking

I also use simple green, after using grease lightning (which is the best i might add) and found out
that because it is so strong it starts to remove the purple from the anodized parts.

I remove the radio tray which housed all the electronics, remove the gas tank and also the air filter.
tie a plastic bag over the air filter opening. I then cut 2 one inch pieces of gas tubing put a tight screw in one end
and then attach them to both carb port. another easy way is to cut a peice of tubing and put it on both port on the carb.

Spray it with simple green let it sit for 5-10 min and then wash off, dry and then use some water displacement formula #40
hit the spots I know might get rust.

Then go out and F*&$#@%$K it up again.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:49 AM
bryan70546
My Feedback: (4)

sounds likes me.
ORIGINAL: warriorking

I also use simple green, after using grease lightning (which is the best i might add) and found out
that because it is so strong it starts to remove the purple from the anodized parts.

I remove the radio tray which housed all the electronics, remove the gas tank and also the air filter.
tie a plastic bag over the air filter opening. I then cut 2 one inch pieces of gas tubing put a tight screw in one end
and then attach them to both carb port. another easy way is to cut a peice of tubing and put it on both port on the carb.

Spray it with simple green let it sit for 5-10 min and then wash off, dry and then use some water displacement formula #40
hit the spots I know might get rust.

Then go out and F*&$#@%$K it up again.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:34 AM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: sneff

I use the air compressor to blow all the stuff off. then remove the radio tray and all the body parts. I simple green the tires and hose the rest of the car off, being carefull not to get water on the air filter. then I dry the car with the air compressor and then douse the car in wd 40 and it comes out spotless!!
same method as i use !
well when i clean it .. i try'd once to see if my wife would clean it for me but didnt go far
Old 01-19-2007, 07:58 AM
h22a4
My Feedback: (50)

I just use a paint brush on those not so dirty days and a air compressor on the others. The paint brush will not work very well at first butr once it is full of various oils it becomes quite sticky and picks up everything.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:31 AM
huw4027

Hey i hear what you are saying but i only clean when it is very dirty and when i do
i use my Son.
He likes to do it so i accommodate him. [8D][8D]
Old 01-19-2007, 10:45 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

I do the same cleaning. Remove the radio tray, bag the air cleaner off, hose it off, douse it with Simple Green, scrub it with a toothbrush, hose it off and blow it off.

I didn't blow off the car last time and had a bunch of surface rust spots develop. Not hard to get them off but takes time.

I dont have an air compressor yet so I use my leaf blower.

After it's clean and dry I spray WD-40 on the plastic parts and use the toothbrush to work it in. I wipe off excess WD-40 with a paper towel.

Probably takes 1 - 2 hours depending on how neat I want to be about it. I have cleaned it in under 30 minutes before.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:51 AM
gurumods
My Feedback: (43)

ORIGINAL: sneff

My exact procedure also is the simple green and air compressor.For the tight spots a little simple green and an acid brush works wonders.I always get heckeled by others who think i don't run my vehicles cause they always look so nice and clean.I hate looking at a dirty car in my shop.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:14 AM
D0G
My Feedback: (1)

I wear a snow suit...lol... This thing ROCKS for a first attempt it does a way better job then it did before. Im thinking maybe of making a new one out of wet suit material. This keeps all mud and crap out, and mostly all the water. Being Winter 5 months of the year up here were always running in mud and wet and snow... Anyhow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48012.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	601606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96770.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	601607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65353.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	601608  
Old 01-19-2007, 11:28 AM
gurumods
My Feedback: (43)

Dog,you have what is known to be a RC TRUCK CONDOM.Always practice safe rcing.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:40 PM
SELWA
My Feedback: (1)

If the car is dry I use the air compressor on it and an old toothbrush. If it's wet or muddy I remove the radio tray and hose it down with the garden hose and use the compressor to remove most of the water. The air filter has the 6464FG cover and it work extremly well, no need ot remove or re-oil. Then I may spray some oil in certain areas.

If you have a MT or a MB Pro I'd suggest covering the side guards to keep dirt/mud/snow out.