Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Screws for front FGMT hubs too long?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Screws for front FGMT hubs too long?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 01:21 PM
borley1863

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screws for front FGMT hubs too long?

Hi, i had too replace a screw on the front of my FGMT as one backed out of the front hub, so i decided too replace them with stronger ones from JE spares the thing is these are 30mm long the same as the standard ones, but i found if i tighten them the bottom ones or the top ones that go into the hubs they rub against the wheel shafts making the shafts hard to turn.
So i have to back them out a bit, just wondered has anybody else had this problem, as i`m worried the screws will just fall out, i did try 25mm but these seemed too short.
Thanks
Guy
Old 01-31-2007, 01:31 PM
jasrx

Default RE: Screws for front FGMT hubs too long?

ORIGINAL: borley1863

Hi, i had too replace a screw on the front of my FGMT as one backed out of the front hub, so i decided too replace them with stronger ones from JE spares the thing is these are 30mm long the same as the standard ones, but i found if i tighten them the bottom ones or the top ones that go into the hubs they rub against the wheel shafts making the shafts hard to turn.
So i have to back them out a bit, just wondered has anybody else had this problem, as i`m worried the screws will just fall out, i did try 25mm but these seemed too short.
Thanks
Guy
use the 30mm long ones and use a flat waster or even 2 between the hub and the metal rose joint socket . make sure u use loctite /thread lock .
Old 01-31-2007, 01:33 PM
SBGasser
Banned

you could always knock off a few mm on the 30mm with a grinder or dremel and cut off. just dress up the threads with a die before reinstalling it, or put a nut on it first, when you take the nut off you ll smooth the end and only need to debur it.
SBG
Old 01-31-2007, 02:51 PM
miamimac

I had the same problem and did what SBGasser said. Make sure you dont mess up the first threads on the screw otherwise it wont want to go in straight.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:53 PM
borley1863

Thanks for the help people, i know i have asked alot of questions lately, as you may have read in my other posts i took my truck apart in June and only just got round to reassembling it, and as you know the FG exploded photo you get is rubbish. So anyway much apreciation for all the hints and tips so far.
Guy
Old 01-31-2007, 04:13 PM
bryan70546
My Feedback: (4)

i thought you were not supposed to use loctite on plastic ,wouldt super glue work also.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:01 PM
borley1863

the spacers or what ever they are called between the bearings that the screw goes in has a thread and is metal, i think thats why loctite was suggested.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:11 PM
bigger the better

the spacers or what ever they are called between the bearings that the screw goes in has a thread and is metal, i think thats why loctite was suggested.
Yup thats right, you will see a ring of metal in the middle that has been tapped, if there is any way you can get the locktight onto the metal ring, or in the threads of the ring do that. The plastic will use it up before the screw gets metal to metal.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:21 PM
bryan70546
My Feedback: (4)

oh ok guys i did not know that.i though i had read some where on here not to use the loctite on plastic.thats the only reason i mention it thanks .
Old 01-31-2007, 05:29 PM
bigger the better

No your right, Locktight will not do much for metal to plastic mainly used for metal to metal which is at the bottom at the ring but, by the time the screw gets to the ring the locktight is almost nill of what it was before screwing into the plastic. I used super glue the last time I installed mine and it did hold quite well. I guess it melts the plastic in teh shape of the screw in hence remaking the threads. I also can say it was tough to get teh screw out of the metal cup on top also.[:@]
Old 02-01-2007, 02:36 AM
jasrx

ORIGINAL: bigger the better

Yup thats right, you will see a ring of metal in the middle that has been tapped, if there is any way you can get the locktight onto the metal ring, or in the threads of the ring do that. The plastic will use it up before the screw gets metal to metal.
thats why u pull the axle out and the bearings and put it in from the inside , wipe off the remaining loctite once u have done up the bolt ...