Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 10:09 PM
rcnitrodriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question?

Hey
Over the summer i am going to try and build a 1/5 1/6 scale gas buggy.I think it will weigh about 40-50 lbs an would like it to go at least 30 mph but more would be better.I was woundering if you guys have any links or ideas for a good strong motor.
Any suggestions will help. THANKS
Old 02-01-2007, 10:17 PM
SBGasser
Banned

Default RE: question?

wow HEAVY for the scale, i would think you could get it down to say 25 to 35 lbs and youll be much better off. i know your only specking the weight, but it would need to be seriously over built to be 40+ lbs imo.
SBG
Old 02-01-2007, 10:17 PM
TheFgMan01

davesmotors.com great engine choices at this place and ill think you'll be pleased with the selections

wow!! thats going to be a heavy buggy
Old 02-01-2007, 10:49 PM
lever02

Not to put a damper on your project...Just go buy the darn truck!
Old 02-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Soloratov
My Feedback: (1)

Don't let anyone discourage you. Thats rule 1. I must say though, for 1/5, you really need to shoot for no more than 30lbs. However, its all dependent on material used, and what engine you choose. The dilemma is this, the more it weights, the bigger the engine, but at a certain point, the engine itself is too heavy.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

I have built a 1/4 scale buggy that weighed in at around 70lbs.... Trust me, the weight makes designing harder. At the time I built it I had no equipment to weld aluminum and went with steel tube. The chassis came out great (if you ask me) but was too heavy, if I had it to do again (which I fully intend on another 1/4 scale build) I would by equipment to work with aluminum and cut the weight nearly in half. Because of the weight, components had to be structured and over-designed. If you can, use aluminum and try to keep weight to a minimum(30lbs max), this will make things alot easier. And word for the wise.... If you are thinking building your own will save you money, chances are it won't... It can cost ALOT more. If you want to do it for the experience and enjoyment, there are many on RCU as myself that would like to help and see what you come up with. Good Luck!
Old 02-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Anomie

I am another member who would like to see you go for it. One of those engines around 30cc might yield enough power to move a heavy buggy like that, although the heavier it is, the more torque it will require to get it going. Overbuilding some of the drivetrain might indeed be necessary. You could also look into a pocket bike engine.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:46 AM
ryan@ddm

Don't sweat the 'underpowered' issue. The 23cc Zenoah motors are capable of moving a 40 lb scooter and 150 lb rider at 25-30 mph; the highly modified 30ish cc ones much faster.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:40 PM
34Ford
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ryan is right. I had one of the little crotch rockets and it would move on for its size.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Fabe

As many people have suggested me to do, a hobby grade engine will surely work well. However, as Reiko mentioned, perhaps a pocket bike (~49 cc) may be more tuned for what you're building. IMO, the latter work quite well --> http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5342488/tm.htm

Fabiano
Old 02-02-2007, 08:31 PM
rcnitrodriver

Yea just like you acs guitars i was thinking of bulding it with steel because i have a lot of it laying arround.Thats why i thought it would weigh so much.I will try and add more alum.I was going to build it for the experience and because it would be different.Maby some more links to good motors please.paste some pics of you home built rides