Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

help starting a 23cc gas engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 05:06 PM
ophirw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help starting a 23cc gas engine

Hi,

Does anybody know what brand are the smartech 23cc engines?
I just got a new smartech bigfoot with a 23cc gas engine and it won't start, the needles where fully closed when I got the truck. I referenced a Zenoah 23cc guid book (G230RC, just like smartech say to do) and tried setting the needles like they show but no luck.
after priming the engine it starts after 10 pulls or so but stops after 2 seconds.
I would gladly use some pointers on how to set the carb for the first start and brake in.
I used 95 un leaded grade fuell and mixed with synthetic oil at a 20:1 ratio.

thanks

Old 02-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: help starting a 23cc gas engine

It should be a 23cc CY engine... first double check the carb setting and see that your choke is not on. Are you getting a spark at the plug when it turns over? If so, check the gap on both the plug and magneto to assure it is firing hot enough to properly run. Aside from that, make sure the fuel lines are not reversed or have an air leak. I know that's a simple check, but I think those things will solve just about any simple problem. Good luck!
Old 02-11-2007, 05:25 PM
ophirw

Does CY have a web site?
I did check the spark plug and it sparks properly, I checked the fuel lines and they are all connected and running. For some reason it looks like the engine does not get any fuel, I think it runs on the fuel pumped when primed.

Do you have any idea how to run the engine in order to break it in?
Old 02-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

The engine should fire right up once the carb is set before break in, if anything the compression will be a tad higher due to the new ring on the piston not being 100% seated and worn in.... if it is not getting fuel then it sounds like the lines may be reversed to me . Engines are hard to diagnose over the internet.

I am not sure if CY has a website. Maybe some one else will be able to help more, if it all has checked out and the fuel lines are not reversed then I am stumped.[&:]
Old 02-11-2007, 05:37 PM
bigger the better

Deleted
Old 02-11-2007, 05:37 PM
crrcboatz
My Feedback: (34)

I bet a dime to a dollar it is an air leak in the fuel system OR the head bolts are loose. Check the fuel lines for a small hole, also were it hooks to the carb and where it goes into the tank. I would also check the head bolts. They are notorious for coming loose. If they are loose , either one, put a lock washer and blue locktite on both of them.

Curt
Old 02-11-2007, 06:13 PM
ophirw

Thanks a lot for your help,
The HPI video is more instructions than I had up to now. I will try using their advice.
crrcboatz, it is funny that you mentioned the like in the fuel system, the truck comes with a 3rd line that goes from the fuel tank to the rear for the car and looks like it is to reduce pressure or let excess gas out, I tried starting the engine when blocking it but didn't help, do you know what that line is for?

I will post some pics so you can see what I am talking about (i just need to get my camera back ).
Old 02-11-2007, 06:14 PM
bigger the better

Deleted
Old 02-11-2007, 06:28 PM
ophirw

thanks, first thing i will check is the kill switch.

will let you know if it works.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:45 PM
h22a4
My Feedback: (50)

check your idle screw as well screw it in all the way then back it out a bit. if you are not getting fuel but it will start when primed this may be the cause.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:49 PM
gofast53

What are your needle settings at, as with my Firehammer with identical motor, low speed needle was set incorrectly and so engine was difficult to start. Should be at 1 1/4 turns out from fully closed and high speed should be at 1 1/2. Third tube is an air vent/overflow for tank and should not be sealed off.
Fuel mixture is also recommended at 25:1 for initial breakin, 20:1 is a bit too much oil.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:06 PM
huw4027

Check idle screw settings it seems you need to close it 1/4 turn at a time
until it idles ok. [8D]
Old 02-12-2007, 07:39 AM
ophirw

Is it ok to set the carb needles with the same settings as the Zenoah engine?
Old 02-12-2007, 07:46 AM
BuggZy99
My Feedback: (2)

yup, pretty much the same settings, those will get it running and from there you can adjust your engine to a better tune after its warmed up.
Check your idle screw also, if its not set corectly the engine will be hard to start.

ORIGINAL: ophirw

Is it ok to set the carb needles with the same settings as the Zenoah engine?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:10 AM
ophirw

I checked in the G230RC instructions and they write only how to adjust the Low and High needles but nothing on the idle screw, can you kindly explane how can i adjust it? how do i reference it? the L & H needles are adjusted from the fully closed position but the idle screw is just hanging there mid way.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:14 PM
bigger the better

Deleted
Old 02-12-2007, 02:58 PM
ophirw

Thanks a lot guy's for the useful info, now it is time to get dirty and start using all I have learnt here. I hope my next post on this thread will be a successes message.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2007, 05:48 PM
R.Robinson
Banned

check your choke lever is in the correct position when starting. prime the engine 3 times with the choke lever set correct then is should fire. then turn off the choke and start it again. It should start. If NOt check to see if you have flooded the engine. IF so remove the plug and pull the rope several times to remove the fuel and let it sit for a while. put the plug back in and then repeat the process over again.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:02 PM
synthetic003

ok dude in my experince messing around with this smaller gas engines first of all make sure that all your bolts and screws such as muffler bolts, carb bolts, things of that nature secondly turn all of you screws tight then back them out about 1 1/2 turn. if the engine is brand new then it would be pointless to say check your plug an make sure your gap is correct. also i am not so sure about using the higher octane fuel like the 95??? i would just stay with the 87 and readjust your fuel ratio to 25:1 instead of 20:1 as someone said before make sure you dont have bare wires showing that are connected to you kill switch an obviously make sure your choke is in the right position. with it taking forever to start and then only running a couple of seconds after you try to restart it are you turning off your choke?? it sounds like you may have either too much oil or you could even possibly starving your engine of fuel because of the screws not being set right or even choking out because you have the screws out too far just try what i said about setting them at 1 1/2 turn out
Old 02-19-2007, 08:14 AM
ophirw

Thanks deadly knight, I actually learnt quit a bit in the past week and most important is that this engines usually start very easily, I had one good experience with my friends Zenoah 26 cc, started after the 3rd pull and no problems ever since. I did try to apply all your (and the rest of the helpful people in the forum) advices but it didn't work (including reducing the oil in the fuel), it seams that no mater how much I open the needles and even when I pore fuel strait in to the piston the engine sounds as if it hasn't got enough fuel. so I took the car to an expert and he tried as well with no luck, after a few rounds of pulling and checking that all is good he said that this engines should start right away and that there is probably a problem in the carburetor. so I left the car at his place (I can trust him since he is my parents neighbor) and he will check the carburetor and probably take it apart to see it is not clogged and that the membrane (or some thing like that) is in working order. I guess I had bad luck with this engine :-)
Old 02-19-2007, 08:24 AM
huw4027

You are not alone because i can't get my Zenoah 23cc engine to start
any at all.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:01 AM
ophirw

is it new?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:02 AM
ophirw

huw4027: is your engine new?
Old 02-20-2007, 07:30 AM
MrMikeG

My Bigfoot came with a 23cc ZENOAH, if yours is a Zen it will say so on the pull start cover, simple.
1.5 on both needles is a good starting point.
3rd line is a vent line, don't plug it.
1/4 open on the throtle should start. Take your aircleaner off and look through the carb to set it up right if your not sure.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:37 AM
huw4027

Brand spanking new. [8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.