Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

hpi baja motor ?

Old 02-21-2007, 10:21 PM
rcnitrodriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hpi baja motor ?

Hey
I am planning on buying the hpi baja in about 4 month and was woundering what would be a faster motor over the stock one?I was thinking about the Chrome CY 29cc Motor With Stuffed 2mm Crank.Will this motor add about 10 mph with the stock exhoust?If not what would be an excelent super fast motor for about 200$$? THANKS
Old 02-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Earth Surfer

Default RE: hpi baja motor ?

I am not sure what you want to use the baja for. Different engines are available to help fit the application your plan to do. It sounds like your looking for top speed though, and a 2mm stroker engine is not the best choice for that. IMO, from all the engines I have worked on, I would not chose any 35mm bore cylinder. Some people like them, and the 27cc stock stroke engine can run pretty darn good, but they have quality issues that I don't deal with and that head kit 29cc 2mm stroker engine is probably the lowest reving engine out of all the RC engine possibilities. It does have good low end power and a pretty strong mid range, but there is a bigger cylinder out there with a bit better quality that beats it everywhere. There are plenty of top end kids that will bolt up to your cases, and all three cranks will bolt right in that don't cost over $200.00. If top speed is what you want---first get rid of the stock exhaust--it hiders all engines a lot. IMO, a G260 Zen engine or top end with a good pipe, and if you want to go all out--a reed kitted top end that is well built can make more RPM and power everywhere.

Here is a page from DDM with quite a bit of options. Check it out. All of the two bolt top ends will fit your stock cases, accept for one I build for a replacement top end on TS reed cases.

http://www.davesmotors.com/store/headkits.html
Old 02-22-2007, 08:31 AM
rcnitrodriver

So would this motor be a torquy fast motor Zenoah G260RC (34mm bore, 28mm stroke)?
What im looking for is a bit more speed and torque but more speed.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:29 AM
ryan@ddm

If you are looking for high revs (top speed), consider the ESP fully ported G260RC.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:06 PM
Earth Surfer

ORIGINAL: rcnitrodriver

So would this motor be a torquy fast motor Zenoah G260RC (34mm bore, 28mm stroke)?
What im looking for is a bit more speed and torque but more speed.
It depends a lot on the exhaust you use, and I don't have any exp with the pipes out there for it yet. But compared to a stock engine with the stock can--yea way better everywhere. For what your looking for, the G260 sounds like a good choice to me like Ryan said. All you would have to do is choose an exhaust system. For your top speed, people are starting to say (the people that don't have snow on the gound) the Jet Pro V3 seems to rev OK--but I have not used it myself. Sorry I can't help you out with pipe selection more--I just don't know enough about them for the Baja yet.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:15 PM
rcnitrodriver

What if I just added the Jet Pro V3 to the stock motor? Will this make the baja go 40+ mph and add a little more torque?
Old 02-22-2007, 04:07 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

Any good tuned pipe add's loads of power, I run the DDM Dominator pipes on mine and have excellent power and the quality is great on them. I run a 29cc race ported kit with a stuffed stroker crank...unsure why earthsurfer say's they lack top end I seem to have way good top end and loads of torque...it'll wheelie pretty easily

With the DDM Pipe on the stock 23cc it really woke up....I'm sure just the pipe alone will make you happy you'll notice a huge difference from stock thats for sure....it may not wheelie but it'll scream the top end on the 23's really comes alive with a good pipe
Old 02-22-2007, 04:41 PM
Earth Surfer

What if I just added the Jet Pro V3 to the stock motor? Will this make the baja go 40+ mph and add a little more torque?
Yes also. A good pipe is the #1 single bolt on item for performance you can buy for a two stroke engine.

Badz--I say the CY29's don't rev as high as other engines from the testing I did on peds with me on the ped (220 lbs at the time--I lost some since then), and I tried like heck to get more RPM without losing the good low end it has (with porting and ingition timeing changes only though). For many peds, we have a spindle that is bolted on the crank, and runs right on the tire (direct drive--no clutch--will stall when stopped), so we can change spindle diameters for a gearing change. I run the smaller spindles which tent to rev higher than taller gearing--I only got about 15,000 RPM out of the head kit version and about 16,000 out of the non head kit version (using the higher reving S1 pipe). I could get it higher--but the low end was suffering, and that was the good point of that motor when it came out. Carb tuning was set with a good spark plug color, but they might have reved a bit higher if I went a little more lean. Everybody in the ped racing world knows the engine does not rev as much as other engines (but it has better low and mid than most of them) and I don't think anybody in the faster classes will use that motor. Now, on a RC car, it will rev higher I am sure because the load is lower--but so will all the other engines.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:40 PM
Schumacher RC Superstore

You should run it stock first so you know what your mods did for you. Also, the stock motor with a good pipe is a great place to start. Plenty of power to get into trouble If you still want more power, try a motor kit, you will already have the exhaust. Buying a high-end motor and not running a tuned exhaust will somewhat defeat the purpose of the modded motor.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:47 AM
badz

ORIGINAL: Earth Surfer

Yes also. A good pipe is the #1 single bolt on item for performance you can buy for a two stroke engine.

Badz--I say the CY29's don't rev as high as other engines from the testing I did on peds with me on the ped (220 lbs at the time--I lost some since then), and I tried like heck to get more RPM without losing the good low end it has (with porting and ingition timeing changes only though). For many peds, we have a spindle that is bolted on the crank, and runs right on the tire (direct drive--no clutch--will stall when stopped), so we can change spindle diameters for a gearing change. I run the smaller spindles which tent to rev higher than taller gearing--I only got about 15,000 RPM out of the head kit version and about 16,000 out of the non head kit version (using the higher reving S1 pipe). I could get it higher--but the low end was suffering, and that was the good point of that motor when it came out. Carb tuning was set with a good spark plug color, but they might have reved a bit higher if I went a little more lean. Everybody in the ped racing world knows the engine does not rev as much as other engines (but it has better low and mid than most of them) and I don't think anybody in the faster classes will use that motor. Now, on a RC car, it will rev higher I am sure because the load is lower--but so will all the other engines.
Yeah I understand what you're saying...it seems to be fairly decent all around...It doesn't wind up as much as the 23cc'r did but it's night and day balls wise compared to the 23cc engine...i mainly only went 29cc cause i didn't wanna go 30.5cc right off so i went with the 29 and stroker crank cause now it's a cake mod to go 30.5cc
Old 02-23-2007, 01:34 AM
gleebs

I clocked the stock engine with Dominator pipe at 39. As I understand the JP V3 helps out the top end more than the low (unlike the Dom), so you might get at or above 40.

Badz, I notice your my neighbor. Where do you run?
Old 02-23-2007, 01:48 AM
badz

heya gleeb's...we run in layton at some subdivision's being built...just off gentile....it's pretty nice spot loads of sand...once it dries up a little more we usually run over in clinton on the bmx track...someone needs to make us a large scale track
Old 02-23-2007, 02:09 AM
gleebs

They fixed the track up in clinton for the new year. I would be nice if it were a little more large scale, and I wish I could take a shovel to some of those smaller bumps. But I had a blast there last Sunday and Monday. The mud on Monday was sweet.

If I could find the land somewhere I would rent a bobcat and build it myself just to half a place to play. I intend to talk to a few of my relatives with land and see what they think of the idea.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:17 AM
badz

ORIGINAL: gleebs

They fixed the track up in clinton for the new year. I would be nice if it were a little more large scale, and I wish I could take a shovel to some of those smaller bumps. But I had a blast there last Sunday and Monday. The mud on Monday was sweet.

If I could find the land somewhere I would rent a bobcat and build it myself just to half a place to play. I intend to talk to a few of my relatives with land and see what they think of the idea.
Yeah we need a decent track for sure...there's some nifty hill climbs and all right off i15 up near ogden i ran those alot last year...i like the clinton bmx track mostly for the nitro's....that far jump on the right is great for 20 foot backflip's...i suppose we run our baja's there enough we'll wear that track in pretty nice

ya should check out that subdivision if ya have a chance it's around 1300 block or so of gentile it's got the tan vinyl fence all around it on the left hand side of the road if heading west....there's nothing there as of yet it's all new construction...alot of guys even have been flying there lately...nice huge runway's
Old 02-23-2007, 11:29 AM
gleebs

Sounds fun I'll check it out. I have seen those hills of I-15 but, 1, I don't know how to get to them, 2, aren't they no trespassing. These are the ones near 31 street right? I think they are gone now with all the road construction.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:01 PM
badz

ORIGINAL: gleebs

Sounds fun I'll check it out. I have seen those hills of I-15 but, 1, I don't know how to get to them, 2, aren't they no trespassing. These are the ones near 31 street right? I think they are gone now with all the road construction.
They are posted no trespassing but nobody bother's ya....i think it's more or less posted cause the railroad there...we drove up to them from behind a warehouse right near there.....wonder if they'd let us zip around the motocross track at willard hehe
Old 02-25-2007, 03:34 AM
gleebs

I drove by there and those hills are massive. I don't think it would be any fun.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:01 AM
Earth Surfer

ORIGINAL: badz

Yeah I understand what you're saying...it seems to be fairly decent all around...It doesn't wind up as much as the 23cc'r did but it's night and day balls wise compared to the 23cc engine...i mainly only went 29cc cause i didn't wanna go 30.5cc right off so i went with the 29 and stroker crank cause now it's a cake mod to go 30.5cc
[/quote]

Yes Badz--the 29cc is the second most powerfull stock piston port engine (after the 30.5cc) in low and mid range RPM power. It does deliver a fun power curve and it is common that a 2mm stroker crank will not want to rev as far as a stock crank. That is not to much of a big deal to me beacuse I like the rest of the power curve. But the top ends do have some quality issues that have never been fixed in a bout 4 years of selling them. I can gaurantee you, If you are not using a .020" copper gasket under the cylinder, you will see some nasty wear on the intake side piston skirt, and the head kit models will show some wear on the plating at the top of the cylinder (at all four bolt hole locations) because the head design warps the top of the cylinder when the head is tightened down. They also used to have terrible plating that might be improved now, but I stopped working on them about 2 years ago for all the reasons above. I build the 30.5cc engine from a CY29 right now though, and replace the top end with my 30.5cc kit. Every one of the 29cc pistons have that nasty intake skirt wear---still.

If you interested in the future (which will probably be as soon as you take your engine apart to see if I am telling you the truth), you can buy the GP290 top end, and I can do the head mods for you for $40.00 and you can bolt that top end right on your cases, and use your 2mm crank. A .020" copper gasket under your 29cc cylinder will most likely cure the funny piston wear though. I had some really good luck with those--if you can keep them from leaking. You have to seal both sides of the copper gasket with something that does not dry to fast to get it together and cause an uneven distrabution of gasket gook, or you can run into the same problem.

When you get the cylinder back on the cases, with the spark plug out, and no flywheel, you should be able to grab the crank shaft by hand to trun the engine over, and you should feel no binding near the bottom of the storoke. If you feel binding, you will have to take the top end off, and try it again.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:33 PM
gonsped69
My Feedback: (6)

I'm a little bit lost - so how much better is a 30.5cc stuffed stroker? I am running a 29cc stuffed stroker at the moment.