Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Baja 5b motor recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:34 AM
kazuaki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja 5b motor recommendation

So, I am buying a new Baja 5b this week. I have spent several hours driving my friends stock 5b. We use our cars mostly at the sand dunes, which seems to eat the power up. I had fun with his buggy, but knew right away it would not be enough power to keep me happy.

I do not want to go too hardcore and do not want to spend huge money. This is a toy to me and want it to remain reliable and fun. I will be ordering the baja and upgrades from the D D M site. I see several upgraded engines on there for about $200, or a little less. What is the best motor for the baja that is $200 or less? In addition, I will most likely add a Jetpro pipe to whatever engine I end up running.

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2007, 11:40 AM
BuggZy99
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Baja 5b motor recommendation

the cy29 is a very good motor, im running one in my fg mt5 and love it, good bottom and top end.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:17 PM
kazuaki

So, they have the CY29RC for $175. Seems like a pretty good value. Is the fact that it's a stroker going to decrease the revs it makes and thus lower my top speed? Maybe that is way off base, I just thought that strokers had a tendency to not rev as high.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Earth Surfer

Sorry BuggZy99--but all engines have the potential to out rev a CY29cc engine. 2mm stroker cranks tend not to rev as high as stock stroke cranks, but they make good low end and mid range power. I tested them on peds, with me on it, so I am pretty sure they will rev higher on a lighter RC car--but so will all the other engines. My guess is you will have a hard time getting over 17,000 RPM out of that engine (and the head kit version has less RPM and power) on a RC car. I got about 16,000 on a ped, with a decient high RPM pipe and gearing on the low side, and I have seen almost stock G260's hit almost 18,000 using the same pipe on a ped with a 200lb person (me--lol) abord on flat ground.

Thread starter, you don't have to buy a new engine to get more power and RPM. The number one thing that is holding the 23cc engine back is the stock exhaust. Throw a good pipe on it (ask around for pipe choice), and you should gain about 75% more power (going from about 2.1 with the stock can and stinger to over 3.5 with a good pipe on your stock 23cc engine). Those are pretty accurate average numbers no matter what anybody says.

http://www.davesmotors.com/store/rcexhausts.html

There are also a lot of top end kits that bolt right up to your cases. Some big bores "36mm bore" may require a simple mod in the cases--just a bit of cutting when it is apart on some cases that have not had a little casting nub milled off.

Here is a page with quite a few air coled two bolt options. To avoid abnormal piston wear, you should use the Zen cylinders, or the 36mm GP290 cylinders (the only 36mm bore cylinder--and is made by Go-Ped at the CY factory). The 35mm bore cylinders (the CY 27 and CY 29 cylinders) could use a copper cylinder base gasket to help stop the abnormal piston intake skirt wear if you want to use those cylinders.

IMO, you should buy a good pipe first. The stock exhaust can will greatly hinder the performance you are looking for with any engine you choose. The engines actually make more power with no exhaust at all than using any of the stock cans that any RC engine gives us. The Stock G260 loses .5hp with the the stock Zenoah can on it, and the baja can is probably worse.

http://www.davesmotors.com/store/headkits.html

FYI---stock stroke cranks on a G260 tend to rev higher than stroker cranks, but the stroker cranks tend to get off the line and out of tight corners faster and are also great for 4wd trucks. Your choice depends on what kind of driving you intend to do (wide open sand dunes, or tighter track type stuff).

the most powwerfull and usually higher reving engines will most likely be reed valve set ups (if ported and piped correctly), and my prediction is we will see more optioins for reed engines in the future that will rev up to 20,000 RPM if a pipe for that RPM is available.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:40 PM
kazuaki

Thanks for the info. So, sticking with your logic, Earth Surfer, wouldn't the GP290 be a good choice? Being that is has the stock stroke and the 36mm bore?
Old 02-27-2007, 02:13 AM
Earth Surfer

ORIGINAL: kazuaki

Thanks for the info. So, sticking with your logic, Earth Surfer, wouldn't the GP290 be a good choice? Being that is has the stock stroke and the 36mm bore?
IMO--yes. The compression is high on the 35 and 36mm bore cylinders because the bore got bigger, but the combustion chamber didn't get bigger. So lowering the compression (using head mods) should give more RPM with a noticeable loss in holeshot potential---but it should still have more holeshot potential than a G226 because of it's 2mm bigger piston.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:59 AM
kazuaki

ORIGINAL: Earth Surfer
IMO--yes. The compression is high on the 35 and 36mm bore cylinders because the bore got bigger, but the combustion chamber didn't get bigger. So lowering the compression (using head mods) should give more RPM with a noticeable loss in holeshot potential---but it should still have more holeshot potential than a G226 because of it's 2mm bigger piston.
So, are you saying I would need to do head mods on the stock GP290, or is that already done? Sorry, if I'm a little new to this still. The specs listed at DDM say the GP290 is 9.5:1 CR and runs on 91 octane. I was thinking I could just buy it, bolt it up, and go. I just ordered the baja with the Jetpro V3 silenced pipe today. I'll try that out first, but I know I will want to get a stronger motor. Thanks for the time...
Old 02-28-2007, 07:12 AM
BuggZy99
My Feedback: (2)

i didnt say the cy 29cc engine was the best thing out there, i said i have one and like and its a good bang for the buck, its in his price range he was stating. Good torque and good topend.

ORIGINAL: Earth Surfer

Sorry BuggZy99--but all engines have the potential to out rev a CY29cc engine. 2mm stroker cranks tend not to rev as high as stock stroke cranks, but they make good low end and mid range power. I tested them on peds, with me on it, so I am pretty sure they will rev higher on a lighter RC car--but so will all the other engines. My guess is you will have a hard time getting over 17,000 RPM out of that engine (and the head kit version has less RPM and power) on a RC car. I got about 16,000 on a ped, with a decient high RPM pipe and gearing on the low side, and I have seen almost stock G260's hit almost 18,000 using the same pipe on a ped with a 200lb person (me--lol) abord on flat ground.

Thread starter, you don't have to buy a new engine to get more power and RPM. The number one thing that is holding the 23cc engine back is the stock exhaust. Throw a good pipe on it (ask around for pipe choice), and you should gain about 75% more power (going from about 2.1 with the stock can and stinger to over 3.5 with a good pipe on your stock 23cc engine). Those are pretty accurate average numbers no matter what anybody says.

http://www.davesmotors.com/store/rcexhausts.html

There are also a lot of top end kits that bolt right up to your cases. Some big bores "36mm bore" may require a simple mod in the cases--just a bit of cutting when it is apart on some cases that have not had a little casting nub milled off.

Here is a page with quite a few air coled two bolt options. To avoid abnormal piston wear, you should use the Zen cylinders, or the 36mm GP290 cylinders (the only 36mm bore cylinder--and is made by Go-Ped at the CY factory). The 35mm bore cylinders (the CY 27 and CY 29 cylinders) could use a copper cylinder base gasket to help stop the abnormal piston intake skirt wear if you want to use those cylinders.

IMO, you should buy a good pipe first. The stock exhaust can will greatly hinder the performance you are looking for with any engine you choose. The engines actually make more power with no exhaust at all than using any of the stock cans that any RC engine gives us. The Stock G260 loses .5hp with the the stock Zenoah can on it, and the baja can is probably worse.

http://www.davesmotors.com/store/headkits.html

FYI---stock stroke cranks on a G260 tend to rev higher than stroker cranks, but the stroker cranks tend to get off the line and out of tight corners faster and are also great for 4wd trucks. Your choice depends on what kind of driving you intend to do (wide open sand dunes, or tighter track type stuff).

the most powwerfull and usually higher reving engines will most likely be reed valve set ups (if ported and piped correctly), and my prediction is we will see more optioins for reed engines in the future that will rev up to 20,000 RPM if a pipe for that RPM is available.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Earth Surfer

ORIGINAL: BuggZy99

i didnt say the cy 29cc engine was the best thing out there, i said i have one and like and its a good bang for the buck, its in his price range he was stating. Good torque and good topend.
I understand what your saying. When that cylinder came out for the 2mm stroked crank, it was the best piston port for low and mid range RPM (the 30.5cc engines make more now--and most reed engines also). It makes good RPM for bashing and track stuff, and it is a good configuration for that. Smooth and powerfull. But it is the lowest reving RC engine (other than the head kit version) so it really can't be called "good" for the top RPM. In my mind, the lowest reving RC engine, when compared to others out there could not be called "good", but it will be sufficient for a lot of users. A stock G260 is good IMO. It also has some funny wear problems for the piston (all 35mm bores have this problem), and they have a long history (since they were built) of many cylinders having poor plating, but that does not mean it will fail. For a little more money, you can get better quality and more top RPM---so I guess it is a matter of opinion on weather it is a better bang for the buck than other options out there. The motor runs strong enough to satisify a lot of people (and I like the power out put myself)---for as long as it runs good.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:28 AM
speedracer1129

Hey Earth Surfer,

Judging by your posts, it seems that you have a good idea in reference to what motor mods to use for certain applications. What setups do you think would get the most RPM out of a Zenoah or CY??
Old 03-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Earth Surfer

ORIGINAL: speedracer1129

Hey Earth Surfer,

Judging by your posts, it seems that you have a good idea in reference to what motor mods to use for certain applications. What setups do you think would get the most RPM out of a Zenoah or CY??
My opinion? A reeded G260 with a high RPM pipe should see about 20,000 RPM and still have acceptable low end power for most cars--I would think. What pipes are high RPM pipes?---I don't know yet. --well---we don't know yet.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:50 AM
speedracer1129

What about a Cy setup??
Old 03-01-2007, 06:47 PM
WikedBaja

Does anyone know if the front brake kit in this ebay auction 190084927355 will work on a Baja buggy?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Earth Surfer

ORIGINAL: speedracer1129

What about a Cy setup??
The stock stroke CY's can be made to rev well also. Not all CY engines are the same. There are three companies that I know of that have the knock off Zen engine made there. All the CY port time is close to the orgional Zen G230 and G260 engine. Since then, Zen has updated it's porting for a bit more top RPM power for the two bolt air cooled RC cylinders. I don't care for any of the 35mm CY bore cylinders becauase they have a problem with funny piston skirt wear (but they run). The only CY cylinder I like (but it can still use some help by a good tuner) is the big 36mm GP290 top end. But the CY 27 and the GP290 can both be made to rev well-- not as easily as the G260 though.