Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

Does anyone run the muffler pipe on the 5b??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Does anyone run the muffler pipe on the 5b??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 02:19 PM
hunter306

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does anyone run the muffler pipe on the 5b??

Wow, I took my New Baja out of the box this morning and powered it up... WHAT A DOG with the stock rubber connector and muffler pipe that puts the exhaust behind the wing.

Now, reading the instructions, it says you'll get better throttle response by removing it... It's like night and day!!

Does anyone actually run the stock little bent pipe?? Can I run without it, without damaging my engine??
Old 03-24-2007, 03:15 PM
WikedBaja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Does anyone run the muffler pipe on the 5b??

Yes, you can run it without the rubber extension. Most everyone does because it gives quite a bit more power and it dosen't hurt anything. Plus it sounds much better.

Have fun.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:32 PM
hathi
Banned

You can also take it one step further by removing all the bafling inside the can. It will wake up even more and still cost you nothing!
Old 03-25-2007, 04:34 PM
hunter306

ORIGINAL: hathi

You can also take it one step further by removing all the bafling inside the can. It will wake up even more and still cost you nothing!

How do you get the baffling out of the Stock Can??
Old 03-26-2007, 01:43 AM
hathi
Banned

take the can off the buggy first. Then reach in there with a pair of needle nose pliers or a pick tool. And just start ripping it out, it can be a pain to get it started, but it will go easy once you have it started. Just remember to clean out the can after your done, make sure all the scarps are out of it before installing it back on!
Old 03-30-2007, 06:54 AM
splcrazy

do you mean the mesh looking thing in there how can you get that out isnt it metal
Old 03-30-2007, 08:05 AM
Earth Surfer

This may sound strange--but I have seen a X-can, with no extensions suck sand into the engine. I mean the whole engine--the cases were filled, and the piston and ring were wasted. The plating held up pretty well though. You would not think sand could get in because exhaust is getting out--but it does. The exhaust is only under pressure for about 20 deg of crank shaft rotation (the blow down phase after the exhaust opens and before the transfers open). Then the exhaust port is open for about another 160 deg of crank rotation. Who knows what the sound waves are doing in a can, but if you get sand in your can, it can grind you to a hault. It does not matter which can.

Even though you took off the extension--the can is still robbing the engine of about .5hp than with no exhaust at all. Your making about 2hp right now, and it will be about 2.5 with no exhaust at all. Add a good pipe, and you should be around 3.75hp on that 23cc stock engine.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:07 AM
Earth Surfer

This may sound strange--but I have seen a X-can (like a gutted can), with no extensions suck sand into the engine. I mean the whole engine--the cases were filled, and the piston and ring were wasted. The plating held up pretty well though. You would not think sand could get in because exhaust is getting out--but it does. The exhaust is only under pressure for about 20 deg of crank shaft rotation (the blow down phase after the exhaust opens and before the transfers open. Then the exhaust port is open for about another 160 deg of crank rotation. Who knows what the sound waves are doing in a can, but if you get sand in your can, it can grind you to a hault. It does not matter which can.

Even though you took off the extension--the can is still robbing the engine of about .5hp than with no exhaust at all. Your making about 2hp right now, and it will be about 2.5 with no exhaust at all. Add a good pipe, and you should be around 3.75hp on that 23cc stock engine.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:29 PM
hunter306

Good information EarthSurfer...

I've ordered a DDM Dominator pipe to replace the stock can.. I didn't gut it like was suggestion, because of the back-pressure issue and sand being sucked into the engine.

Figured I'd just go out and do it right, so the dominator is on it's way! Hopefully this will give me some nice torquey low-end and mid range running.

Here is my bone-stock setup with the exhaust stinger removed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1UmsN-nV4c
Old 03-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Earth Surfer

ORIGINAL: hunter306

Good information EarthSurfer...

I've ordered a DDM Dominator pipe to replace the stock can.. I didn't gut it like was suggestion, because of the back-pressure issue and sand being sucked into the engine.

Figured I'd just go out and do it right, so the dominator is on it's way! Hopefully this will give me some nice torquey low-end and mid range running.

Here is my bone-stock setup with the exhaust stinger removed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1UmsN-nV4c

Don't get me wrong. The X-can is fine with the extensions that are provided with it.
And when you get that nice Dom pipe--you might not want to run it on that healthy grass.