Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

New 27.2cc from Davesmotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 03:18 PM
toprpm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 27.2cc from Davesmotors

Hi,

i got my 27.2cc ESP ported from Davesmotors.

IT BROCK

??

i break it down full tank on idel. and noticed that it smocks a lot. but thought maybe for adding more oil ..since it's break down.

after that i took for drive around . never pushed it . and suddenly it stop . totally stopped. tried a lot ..changed plug and checked carburetor. but not finding what it could be.

so i took it to the shop i bought from. and he opened the engine to find the ring piston damaged???

what shall i do... return it to Daves, or fix it?
Old 03-26-2007, 03:39 PM
R.Robinson
Banned

Default RE: New 27.2cc from Davesmotors

This has been a continous problem for them with this motor. Read further and see. Someone else bought 2 motors from them and both were bad. Start complaining[:@][:@][:@]
Old 03-26-2007, 03:52 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: R.Robinson

This has been a continous problem for them with this motor. Read further and see. Someone else bought 2 motors from them and both were bad. Start complaining[:@][:@][:@]
It's not a continuous issue with the motor's....the other post it was rather clear and obvious the person ran the engines lean and hard when cold causing the premature ring wear.

There are ALOT of people using these engines and having 0 issue's with them. 99% of engine failures are operator error.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:15 PM
hunter306

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: badz

It's not a continuous issue with the motor's....the other post it was rather clear and obvious the person ran the engines lean and hard when cold causing the premature ring wear.

There are ALOT of people using these engines and having 0 issue's with them. 99% of engine failures are operator error.

What kind of warm-up period should we be running before we let'er rip on the Stock Baja motor?? Just looking for some experienced advice since I JUST got my new 5b and would rather not blow the engine up in 1 gallon of gas.

I was under the impression these motors were very low maint. - Can someone correct me on that?
Old 03-26-2007, 11:00 PM
oldman65

ORIGINAL: toprpm

Hi,

i got my 27.2cc ESP ported from Davesmotors.

IT BROCK

??

i break it down full tank on idel. and noticed that it smocks a lot. but thought maybe for adding more oil ..since it's break down.

after that i took for drive around . never pushed it . and suddenly it stop . totally stopped. tried a lot ..changed plug and checked carburetor. but not finding what it could be.

so i took it to the shop i bought from. and he opened the engine to find the ring piston damaged???

what shall i do... return it to Daves, or fix it?
I am suprised to hear this. I thought I was the only one. I installed my 27.2 ESP and ran, oh, lets say about 4 minutes and it came to an idle and died. I tried everything, and nothing helped. I pulled the jug off and found the piston had scars on opposite sides and the ring stuck. I tried to clean it and free the ring but it still wouldn't start.

I call Daves motors and they said I didn't let it warm up long enough and the carb settings were off. I set the carb to the settings they sent with the engine.

Now I'm waiting for an new jug and piston. I did put my CY 23 back in with the Dominator pipe and that pipe woke that 23 up. I think I will run the 23 for a while even after I get my parts for the Zen. it runs that good.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:44 AM
badz

ORIGINAL: hunter306

ORIGINAL: badz

What kind of warm-up period should we be running before we let'er rip on the Stock Baja motor?? Just looking for some experienced advice since I JUST got my new 5b and would rather not blow the engine up in 1 gallon of gas.

I was under the impression these motors were very low maint. - Can someone correct me on that?
The key to prolonging the life of these engines is really simply...using high grade 2 cycle oils is a must and by high grade I don't mean penzoil or lawnboy oil's. Warming them up is cake let it idle for a minute or so and let her rip...it doesn't take long to bring the thing up to a decent temp but firing it up and running it wide open can cause premature wear, I highly doubt you'd blow the engine but you'll cause excess wear....most if not all premature engine failures on 2 strokes are caused by a improper oil to fuel mix ratio or a lean carb setting....if your piston/ring are beat to crap on a new engine after a short period you ran it lean......a common mistake is when setting the needles people only count a 1/2 turn as a full turn, hence a lean setting leading to a toasted engine. Another huge mistake people make is using the LSN to give a comfortable idle....the LSN is not the idle setting. Sure it'll increase the idle as you lean it but this lean condition on the low speed circuit can cause major damages. Always adjust the idle via the idle screw not the LSN. All I can say is pay attention very carefully when setting these needles and do them properly. New engines don't just cook rings even with mixes as high as 100:1. Also engines using tuned pipe's usually require a richer engine setting. Nobody can predict your exact settings thats why there is a baseline setting for both needles...it'll fire the engine and keep it well lubricated and prevent a lean condition, however on a 2 cycle it's always best to be rich than lean.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:46 AM
toprpm

The carp was well tuned and more oil so it would be a perfect break down. ..but ring piston gaveup ...even i didn't see how strong is it ..

the shop down here cleaned it and it worked again, but it still smoke a lot. and i told him . it will break again ....so am waiting new 27.2cc now, and hope it will not break .....today we got 2 27.2cc ESP for my friends Baja 5b and Baja 1000 from MCD. so i will see how they will run ...[>:] if they break ...then ESP [:@] should consider stop making them.

now am using my 23 with DMM pipe ...and it rock as usual. just added the HPI sand tires. and dunce fear me ..eheh ...

i will update on the new engines if they make it to live, or not ....
Old 03-27-2007, 06:26 AM
badz

The carp was well tuned and more oil so it would be a perfect break down. ..but ring piston gaveup ...even i didn't see how strong is it ..

the shop down here cleaned it and it worked again, but it still smoke a lot. and i told him . it will break again ....so am waiting new 27.2cc now, and hope it will not break .....today we got 2 27.2cc ESP for my friends Baja 5b and Baja 1000 from MCD. so i will see how they will run ...[>:] if they break ...then ESP [:@] should consider stop making them.

now am using my 23 with DMM pipe ...and it rock as usual. just added the HPI sand tires. and dunce fear me ..eheh ...

i will update on the new engines if they make it to live, or not ....
I'm sorry but the carb was probably not tuned right or you wouldn't have toasted a ring....btw 2 cycle engines will smoke heavily until the ring is seated after that the smoke decreases....then as the ring wears out it once again increases. What type of mixture did you run? And what kind of 2 cycle oil and what where the carb settings on it? Also post some pictures if you could.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:42 AM
Chop Suey

I didn't know a modified engine can be so sensitive. When I got my stock Zen on the MT, just let it warmed up a bit and go...Didn't even have to tune it until I installed the DDM pipe...and not a problem after almost 10 tanks. I got the big bore raced port kit from DDM but haven't install it yet since I don't really want anymore power than what I have right now. After all these posts in the last few weeks about modified engine problems, I'm think I'll stick with the stock Zen for the rest of the Summer without worrying about the "ever-so-sensitive" ported engines with the added cost.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:27 AM
huw4027

I feel Badz made some very good points and i agree that the majority of
engine failure is operator error. [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
I try to set my needles correctly, use a good quality oil and follow mix guidelines
and also let engine idle for about 3 mins. before i let it rip and so far my
engines have treated me well.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:57 AM
toprpm

Am using 95 fuel , oil is synthetic from KLOTZ. i did warm it up ..but not 3 min ..weather here is already 34c to 38c, also the carp is new from DMM with engine. and it's tuned well. but u guys forget that i was driving it slowly coz it's new engine. i never rev it. i even was walking with it ..around parking. but it stopped .

IS THAT CONSIDERED operator ERROR.

sry for caps ..but i don't like to be called operator, and that am zero knowledge in RC.

from a above u will notice my engine still work. but the ring piston got of it's place. but if i was harsh on brek down ..the ring then will scratch the piston and it will not work again. correct me if am wrong.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:13 AM
huw4027

Hey Toprpm i was not really referring to you personally in my post but was making a general statement. [8D]
By the way what was your oil mix ?
Old 03-27-2007, 09:21 AM
toprpm

1/2 gallon with 90m oil ...normally it should be 80 some said 100 of oil ..it's ok Huw4027.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:45 PM
badz

The oil mix you say is around 20:1.....on the rich side of oil but again this means absolutely nothing if the carb settings where wrong, which I'd bet there where. At 38c a lean setting won't take long to kill a engine.

If the piston ring moved, which is pretty difficult for it to do since there's a pin to hold it in place. As far as more than normal smoke, well at 20:1 mix that's going to happen. You got to understand that adding more oil to your fuel is as bad as not adding enough when running these engines. They call for 25:1 it's what you should run. I'm betting you where a victim of a leaned out carb and high outside temp's that came back and bit you. The engine was new what settings did you set the carb at? Well tuned doesn't answer that it just leads us to think you right away leaned out a brand new engine and went for the gusto on the first run.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:50 PM
ryan@ddm

and it's tuned well.
What were your needle settings? Zenoah rings RARELY fail unless they experience a hard lean condition.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:50 PM
toprpm

the problem is how to to say the sitting .??? of my carp ??...explaine how to read the sitting ...as i said ..the shop i deal with is the one tune it ..not me ..i only drive it ...tell me how to read the carp sitting and i will do it ..

badz
went for the gusto on the first run????

u mean i pushed hard while lean? but i didn't hit half the power. and it worked for a bout 5 min to 10min . maybe less too .
Old 03-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Earth Surfer

That engine is one of the most reiable RC engines out there. It is as reliable as a stock G260. New users often have problems with carb tuning, and I don't see any indication in the thread starters thread that he followed the carb tuning instructions that came with the engine. I would not break it in with one tank ideling on the stand (run it), and you can't set the carb safely on the stand. A hot engine, under load needs more fuel than a engine on the stand. I include my phone number with all of my engines and top end kits, and I would rather deal with my customers directly for issues like these, and not through DDM (but DDM also backs up what I sell). When you learn how to do plug checks, and not be so concerned with smoke, you will not have these problems unless something really weird happens. I replace all parts, labor, and shipping for free if the failure was my fault (I have to see the engine to determine why it failed---and I would rather it was not taken apart so I can do a leak down test for air leaks). I can do that because it happens less than .5% of the time out of about 400 engines I have built. I do see a number of lean seizures from new users who went out and ran without a clear understanding of the carb tuning---and these engine can seize in seconds with a lean H needle at high RPM (SO YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFULL). But I do give a deal on parts and labor for a new user who made an honest mistake (Zen or CY won't do that). They usually don't make the same mistake twice.

Give me a call, and I will take care of you the best I can.

Doug
ESP
(616) 458-8103
Old 03-28-2007, 01:14 AM
toprpm

I will be calling u , thanks for the number, however, dealer in my city called me that engine came and ready , so i didn't see any papers with it or even he said any thing, it may be with them ...anyway ...iam glad i got your number. and i would be happy to call u ..
Old 03-28-2007, 07:39 AM
oldman65

ORIGINAL: Earth Surfer

That engine is one of the most reiable RC engines out there. It is as reliable as a stock G260. New users often have problems with carb tuning, and I don't see any indication in the thread starters thread that he followed the carb tuning instructions that came with the engine. I would not break it in with one tank ideling on the stand (run it), and you can't set the carb safely on the stand. A hot engine, under load needs more fuel than a engine on the stand. I include my phone number with all of my engines and top end kits, and I would rather deal with my customers directly for issues like these, and not through DDM (but DDM also backs up what I sell). When you learn how to do plug checks, and not be so concerned with smoke, you will not have these problems unless something really weird happens. I replace all parts, labor, and shipping for free if the failure was my fault (I have to see the engine to determine why it failed---and I would rather it was not taken apart so I can do a leak down test for air leaks). I can do that because it happens less than .1% of the time out of about 400 engines I have built. I do see a number of lean seizures from new users who went out and ran without a clear understanding of the carb tuning---and these engine can seize in seconds with a lean H needle at high RPM (SO YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFULL). But I do give a deal on parts and labor for a new user who made an honest mistake (Zen or CY won't do that). They usually don't make the same mistake twice.

Give me a call, and I will take care of you the best I can.

Doug
ESP
(616) 458-8103

Earth surfer, I have already been in contact with you. You have my cylinder for my 27.2. I was hoping you had sent that out already. I will send you the old clinder and piston when I get my new one. I would like to know the diagnosis on it when you get it.

I have reciently purchesed synthetic oil and 91 octane fuel as you sugested.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Mr. Mugen

I must be lucky with my 260....bought it in the MB....broke it in.........put jet pro pipe on it and went. I have over 4 gallons of gas theough it so far and not a single issue to date. I use 93 octane and motul 600 oil mixed 40/1. I run this same fuel oil mixture in all my 2 strokes with good luck. One the other hand I am having all kinds of issues getting my 23cc zen. to tune. I am going to bring it to my buddies at the local small engine shop. They may be able to ge tthis darn thing to tune it.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:05 AM
swatlien

[/quote]

I have reciently purchesed synthetic oil and 91 octane fuel as you sugested.

[/quote]

Good quality oil??? Based on some of the responses in this post I should have fried my race ported reeded 28.5 a long time ago.... I'm on tank 18 using Penzoil and 87 octane...

Find what works for you and use it... the penzoil and 87 have worked well for me so I'm sticking with it. 18 tanks in my race 28, 11 tanks in my race port and reeded Zen 230, and almost 30 tanks in my stock ZEN 260.

HMMM... just thought I'd put my to cents in to add more confusion to your problems... My product choice appears to contradict some of the things I've read in this post.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48930.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	651819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69018.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	651820  
Old 03-28-2007, 04:16 PM
rcnells
My Feedback: (6)

still what are some of your carb settings? i have the same motor and i just want to compare.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:39 PM
oldman65

I have heard that you better check your fuel lines on the Baja 5B that go under the air filter. They get pinched and it doesn't matter where your carb settings are.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:17 AM
badz

ORIGINAL: oldman65

I have heard that you better check your fuel lines on the Baja 5B that go under the air filter. They get pinched and it doesn't matter where your carb settings are.
They only are under a hunk of foam, pretty tough for foam to pinch them
Old 03-29-2007, 07:59 AM
Earth Surfer

I noticed mine was kinked, and I have heard of at least two people who had holes in their line for some reason.