Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

DDM Dominator Pipe's have Major Flaws.

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

DDM Dominator Pipe's have Major Flaws.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:15 PM
badz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DDM Dominator Pipe's have Major Flaws.

Ok I have had 2 DDM Dominator Pipe's break brackets, both had chrome inside of the cracks which means these brackets where cracked prior to chroming. Now DDM has replaced the 2 pipes with "new" Dominators with a color coating which as per DDM states the following

d12x - DDM "Dominator" HPC Coated Pipe for HPI Baja 5b
$229.00

In stock and ready to ship!
New from DDM! Developed through months of extensive in-house testing and prototyping, and custom-designed for maximum RC performance, these new "Dominator" pipes for your HPI Baja 5b gas buggy will give you the power you crave. Gives snappy low-end response, yet still offers unmatched top-end performance! The DDM Dominator pipe features top-quality steel alloy construction, single-piece design to minimize leakage, ultra-sturdy mounting system, and custom nanoparticulate HiPerCrystal coating from HPC. These stunningly beautiful coatings are scratch and chip resistant, and will withstand temps in excess of 600 degrees. Includes exhaust spacer to keep the pipe clear of any frame parts! The pipe passes safely through the rear frame "box" - this design is to allow the pipe to be sufficiently wide to allow for MAXIMUM performance, while still being VERY well protected - pipe is unlikely to be exposed in a rollover. Includes genuine Zenoah exhaust gaskets and mounting hardware. Weight is approx 1.65 pounds. Pipe is covered by lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects from DDM. Fits Zenoah and Chung Yang engines.
Now as you'll see in the following photo's the coating comes right off these pipes, actually so easily you can scratch it off with your fingernail also you'll see how far the "new" pipes bracket is off. To add the coating is done over top of chrome so how they thought it'd ever stay on is beyond me.

Photo's posted are of the 2 broken pipe brackets and the "new" replacement pipes which are still exactly the same as the old one's.

Edited to add: I've tried resolving this issue with DDM and they are ignoring me currently. Even though they state "lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects". Also I was handed these 2 "new" pipes by Brad@DDM personally today and now he doesn't know who I am.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95528.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	658401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10339.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	658402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56651.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	658403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22282.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	658404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te47274.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	658405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Of58104.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	658406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jl93073.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	658407  
Old 04-06-2007, 03:39 PM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: DDM Dominator Pipe's have Major Flaws.

I would be pissed! They guarantee "Lifetime Warranty" so looks like they need to replace them AGAIN! Kinda funny how he forgot who you were already?

I like the DDM pipe for my FG MT, looks great.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:57 PM
badz

ORIGINAL: JUCD VPR

I would be pissed! They guarantee "Lifetime Warranty" so looks like they need to replace them AGAIN! Kinda funny how he forgot who you were already?

I like the DDM pipe for my FG MT, looks great.
I am pissed off and only cause they are ignoring me right now. If I have to I'll be driving down there again and really be pissed more.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:02 PM
redramuk

yeah that sucks my ddm pipe on my fg marder cracked on its bracket to same thing but i couldnt be botherd with hassell of sending it back from uk so i welded new bracket on and its been ok since so far, seem like there is a small issuse with them, hope they sort things out for you
Old 04-06-2007, 04:04 PM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

man i hope mine dosen't crack
Old 04-06-2007, 05:54 PM
badz

Brad from DDM has contact me. They issued a UPS call tag to ship the colored pipes back and replace the pipes with Jetpro V3's. The coatings are not scratch resistant, even where the spoiler touched the pipe the coating came off. I ran it 10 minutes and it has loads of area's where the coating has come off. I'll post pictures of this as soon as I remove the pipe. I don't want this post coming off as a DDM bash cause it's not. The DDM pipe is a awesome performer but it needs some simple modifications to make it durable. I've suggested some to Brad. As far as the coating goes, DDM didn't apply that and I'm sure after Brad see's the pipe HPC will have some explaining to do. Hopefully they get it corrected cause these colored pipes are very nice looking items.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Earth Surfer

DDM--Please double (at least) the thickness of that bracket---so badz will have to come on here to thank you. You would do that badz---wouldn't you?

If the coatings don't hold up like the finisher says it will--I am sure DDM will drop them--or do something different. DDM is a company that likes to keep people happy, and I have often seen them go beyond their call of duty to do so when problems like this arise. I have never heard of them ignoring a customer--but they are probably more busy than you are and it might seem like that if your imaptient and pissed. Weather you intended to bash them or not is not important---you did bash them on line before everything is done. So when they take care of you--you should have a letter of apology ready and post it also----just to be fair.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:09 PM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

Badz is never wrong !!
Old 04-06-2007, 09:13 PM
BuggZy99
My Feedback: (2)

lmao, waz going to post the exact same words

ORIGINAL: cyclops1970

Badz is never wrong !!
Old 04-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Billyfunnyguy

WOW, from what I have read lately seems like if a supplier messes up at all some may want heads. 1st that FGHopups guy now DDM. I would think you would give it some time for a company to figure out what’s up before pounding the floor with a fist and a foot. I think DDM will do everyone fine in the end just give them a little time. They just got into the pipe business they are bound to have some snags in the beginning. Its also easy to forget names when you have as many customers as they do. And we understand how hard it is for a fellow Baja owner to be sitting in the house looking out at the lawn in the front yard thinking man I could be driving around out there tearing up grass but dang no pipe. Man from the looks of it you've gotten 3 pipes out of the deal, a little sand blasting or a weld joint and walla your good to go till the 4th comes along. Making out like a champ after you get the new one guess you can call the rest backups.[8D]
Old 04-06-2007, 10:49 PM
mikeinoz

Sorry to all the DDM fanboys but this bracket issue has been going on for a while now though? It was supposed to be fixed but they are still coming out in the same wrong position, that is poor.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:06 AM
warriorking

ORIGINAL: mikeinoz

Sorry to all the DDM fanboys but this bracket issue has been going on for a while now though? It was supposed to be fixed but they are still coming out in the same wrong position, that is poor.
Its not about being a fanboy or whatever the hell you want to call it. If the bracket is bad then they are and I'm sure they will be taken car of.
The fact is that the OP post the same thing on the other forum and come over here and do the same thing without given DDM enough time to make it right.

Moreover DDM posted that he would be out for a while or something of the sort. DDM then reply in is post and said he just receive his email 15 min prior to replying
to his post.

It just amaze me that some people just don't know how to be humble and have some patients.

I've said my piece, good night[8D]
Old 04-07-2007, 12:19 AM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

DDM is great company and i am sure they will do anything possible to fix it [8D]
Old 04-07-2007, 08:07 AM
Billyfunnyguy

Like I said pounding fists and feet on ground will not help. Go to the source, I'm sure they are working on it. This looks to be turning into the FGHopups post. The kids in this hobby need to understand that things do not resolve themselves over night and things need time to be figured tested and changed. What one person thinks is a fix may be tested and be a nightmare. Not everyone will break the pipes like some so let the customers call and replace the ones that do. You all can see what a QUICK does. They sent out a QUICK fix and it ended up on the front page news. Some say that the pipe has had this issue for some time - The pipe has not been out long enough to know if this is all the pipes having the problems or just a select few. Do we even know how many calls or the number of pipes that are involved?
I can only say that the kids should relax and ask there parents about politics and how long it takes to get things done there. They would have a better understanding of the world we live in.
Funny how someone can post several different pipes and also say that the company is not doing anything for them - Where did you get the other pipes from? This person also posts that they will be getting a different pipe in exchange, is that not customer service. Temper tantrums never work cool heads will prevail.
DDM will solve the problem - PROBLEMS TAKE TIME..............

Old 04-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Hutch-e-bee

DDM are good guys. Give them a little time and they WILL resolve this issue!
Old 04-07-2007, 09:35 AM
badz

ORIGINAL: Earth Surfer

DDM--Please double (at least) the thickness of that bracket---so badz will have to come on here to thank you. You would do that badz---wouldn't you?
Actually the thickness of the bracket isn't the issue. It's the bracket is first off all bent wrong, the grain is running the wrong way which means the metal is already weak. The second issue is the brake used to bend the bracket has hammered jaws which are leaving serious marks on the bracket, another promise of failure. The third issue is the bracket is not aligned for the buggy properly which add's more stress to a already poorly made part. The main issue with it is simple and years ago plagued dirt bike pipe builders who learned to overcome it by the use of anti-vibration mounts or simply put, grommets. Allow for some give, my concern to Brad was even after adding a vibration mount was where the stress would travel too, which more than likely would be to the cylinder, so fix there would be seperate header pipe and spring mounted expansion chamber.
If the coatings don't hold up like the finisher says it will--I am sure DDM will drop them--or do something different. DDM is a company that likes to keep people happy, and I have often seen them go beyond their call of duty to do so when problems like this arise. I have never heard of them ignoring a customer--but they are probably more busy than you are and it might seem like that if your imaptient and pissed. Weather you intended to bash them or not is not important---you did bash them on line before everything is done. So when they take care of you--you should have a letter of apology ready and post it also----just to be fair.

Just my opinion.
As far as taking care of me they've done that I've already posted it. I refused to take another Dominator pipe cause the ones I received where the brand new ones which I was assured are made properly and they are not. I therfore asked for Jetpro v3's. The coating issue well lets just say that a spray can paint would stick better. Brad assured me he will handle that issue with HPC. I was the first one to own or run this pipe with the HPC coating so Brad is as curious as myself on what it's issue is. He also said they will definetly look into the bracket issue. I think the pipe is a excellent product but it needed better field testing which it did not get.

I'm not bashing DDM, I simply pointed out that the Dominator pipe has a bracket issue which has not been resolved as I was told it was. I am not the only person this bracket has failed on and I can honestly tell you that everyone who owns one will have the same failure eventually, the stress, improper and poor bend job are doomed for failure.

Am I satisfied with how they took care of me? So far yes but I don't have the Jetpro's in hand since they are not in stock.
Am I upset with DDM, of course I am I drove 70 miles to get handed the same pipe I returned with the same poorly made bracket which was misaligned.

The coating well it looks great, much better than fine powder coating jobs ever will look it's almost a colored chrome affect. Hopefully HPC fixes the issue with the flaking off easily cause it has a excellent future in this hobby.

As I said before I've been a DDM customer long before they've come to these forums. Like I said the HPC coating is out of their hands, however they deserve to know if it's crap or not. The bracket issue is not out of their hands they are aware of it and will correct it, I'm sure of that.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:57 PM
bryan70546
My Feedback: (4)

hey badz you could allways get the mielke pipe or a x-can both of those should give you zero probelms , i just ordered a meilke pipe and i will be taken off my x-can ,i was going to keep it but if you need something that will not give you any problems i could part with it.just a option for you.and just trying to help.bryan
Old 04-07-2007, 02:30 PM
badz

ORIGINAL: bryan70546

hey badz you could allways get the mielke pipe or a x-can both of those should give you zero probelms , i just ordered a meilke pipe and i will be taken off my x-can ,i was going to keep it but if you need something that will not give you any problems i could part with it.just a option for you.and just trying to help.bryan
What do ya want for the x-can bryan? Fire me a PM if you can. I could always use it as a backup pipe today I gotta run on the stock can
I'm modifying the JP's when I get them with grommets so it won't be stressed out.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:29 PM
huw4027

Hmmmm.....very interesting indeed but one thing that i should point out to
DDM and that is if you are advertising your product and making specific
guarantees you have to be sure of them yourselves before standing behind them.
Whether you are nice guys or not that can be interpreted as being mis-leading. [8D]
There will be kinks especially in new products but that bracket problem needs to be
sorted out because Baja 5B sales seems to be great and one of the first upgrades will be a tuned pipe and Jetpro has their name well established. If you want to compete with them you have to sort out those issues. [8D]
Old 04-07-2007, 05:09 PM
warriorking

ORIGINAL: huw4027

Whether you are nice guys or not that can be interpreted as being mis-leading. [8D]
There will be kinks especially in new products but that bracket problem needs to be
sorted out because Baja 5B sales seems to be great and one of the first upgrades will be a tuned pipe and Jetpro has their name well established. If you want to compete with them you have to sort out those issues. [8D]
You seem to have missed something here, yes the braket has an issue. Its the fact that the OP did not give DDM
time to resolve the issue before dragging it all over the web making it look like DDM didn't care about there customers.
I'm sure DDM did not build his loyal customer base just to have it destroyed by some faulty product and more over let
someone spend their hard earn cash on junk.

Talk about jetpro is established, seems like you've been under a rock somewhere.[X(]
JPV 1 Hangs out the back of the buggy and bend like a pretzel
JPV 2 Same Problem
JPV 3 Know with broken brackets also.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:18 PM
badz

ORIGINAL: warriorking

ORIGINAL: huw4027

You seem to have missed something here, yes the braket has an issue. Its the fact that the OP did not give DDM
time to resolve the issue before dragging it all over the web making it look like DDM didn't care about there customers.
I'm sure DDM did not build his loyal customer base just to have it destroyed by some faulty product and more over let
someone spend their hard earn cash on junk.

Talk about jetpro is established, seems like you've been under a rock somewhere.[X(]
JPV 1 Hangs out the back of the buggy and bend like a pretzel
JPV 2 Same Problem
JPV 3 Know with broken brackets also.
Is it me or can you not see the photo's posted? The only issue with the pipe is not the bracket breaking. It doesn't even fit the damn buggy to start with. Actually the pipe melts the roll cage, rear braces and other plastic parts, cause it "fits" so well. Also I got handed the newest pipes from DDM with that same Lifetime Warranty against defects and the coating comes right off the pipe. Sounds like a defect to me. Honestly if DDM wanted to protect their reputation they'd have had them pipes pulled off their website, which they have not done. The pipes are faulty and you are promised a lifetime warranty with them. Also how can you freaking say I didn't give DDM time? I DROVE THE HELL DOWN THERE...70 miles!!! They stood right in front of me and lied about the pipe, they said there are NO issue's with them. I came home with 2 more pipes with new issue's. I tried calling over 35 times, guess how many time they answered? 0!!! I emailed, they've always answered emails right away this time, NOTHING. They called me ONLY because I posted the proof online, they even told me this over the phone. Don't assume things you do not know. I think 3 months of dealing with this pipe issue was more than fair amount of time given to them.

BTW Here's the photo's of the scratch and knick resistant coated pipe. This is after install and a 10 minute run in my backyard on grass. You'll notice where the spoiler and frame parts touch the pipe the coating is gone, also you'll see how blades of grass took the coating off the front bottom side of the pipe.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90531.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	659215   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43465.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	659216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36363.jpg
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	659217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28983.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	659218  
Old 04-07-2007, 06:33 PM
bryan70546
My Feedback: (4)

ok badz will do.
ORIGINAL: badz

ORIGINAL: bryan70546

What do ya want for the x-can bryan? Fire me a PM if you can. I could always use it as a backup pipe today I gotta run on the stock can
I'm modifying the JP's when I get them with grommets so it won't be stressed out.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:38 PM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

i think the xport you have on your pipe throws out the stock location on the pipe myself .. and it might not be DDM pipe design as much as you think ? possiblity ?
Old 04-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Bratch96

Dear DDM, May I buy one of your faulty pipes at discounted price? hehe
Old 04-07-2007, 10:23 PM
huw4027

One thing about some of these forum members that keeps happening
again and again is the way they handle criticisms. Nobody is questioning loyalty
or customer service at DDM but merely pointing out defects in one of their
products. I have bought items from them without any problems but Badz is a
forum member with what i feel is a legitimate gripe and he has the right to
voice it because that is one of the things that this forum is about and that is
sharing of info and experiences so lighten up guys. [8D]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.