Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

about ready to sell FG! very anoyed!!! please help

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

about ready to sell FG! very anoyed!!! please help

Old 04-30-2007, 04:19 AM
canned-heat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about ready to sell FG! very anoyed!!! please help

ok i just got a new JP silenced pipe for i got new alloy engine mounts to solve the engine movement problem (or so i thought) anyway took it for a spin with new pipe was unreal for about 20 mins then DISASTER!!! same old problem cluncking gear nose coming from layshaft and diff gear. I Just can not seem to get the layshaft gear close enough to the diff gear so that they mesh tightly enough. Its almost as if the dif houseing is stopping then engine from moveing any further back as there is clearly space on the chassie for the engine mount screws to go back about another 4mm.

Any ideas im at a total lose end and ready to get shot of the whole thing as i have had this problem from the start
Old 04-30-2007, 04:38 AM
carpy100

Default RE: about ready to sell FG! very anoyed!!! please help

hi mate, have you used hi strength threadlock on the mounts and all mounting screws/bolts? also have you superglued the engine-diff brace screws in? if not this could be your problem.you will have to use a blowlamp or gas soldering iron flame to get them off again! but thats reliable largescale methods mate where nare you in uk? if you keep having problems bring it down to a local race meeting and we'll sort it out.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:45 AM
canned-heat

yes i use threadlock on all metal to metal screws but i dont use superglue on engine-dif brace (This i take it is the almost triangle shaped metal plate that sits on the diff housing and engine?)
alos i dont have a local race meeting lol the nearest place i have to me is halifax and live up in the northeast on teesside about 5 hours drive sucks i know

Old 04-30-2007, 04:56 AM
carpy100

we have a very friendly track at wakefield called the nook, thats nearest i think. its the norm for us to travel between an hour to 3 hours to go to a meeting.
well somethings moving and there will be a way of stopping it, i use superglue on all stressed metal to plastic fixings.
yes the brace is the triangular part.
trouble is 95%of model shops dont know what there talking about with largescale, especially offroad.
dont give up!
Old 04-30-2007, 05:08 AM
canned-heat

yes i know what u mean its not a commen thing to have in most model shops. do you have a list of times and dates and conact names so i know hen to come down and who to look for? im going to go home tonight and take off the rear end so only engine is left and build it back up bit by bit see if i can find out what is stoping the engine from not been able to move back far enough to mesh those damn gears.

Buy the way i think i forgot to say its the monster truck i have lol kind of an important part to tell u guys : Ooopps!!
Old 04-30-2007, 05:18 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just bought a FG MT a few weeks ago and i've already torn two teeth off the rear diff gear and got that rear clunking noise as well.
I'm waiting on a new diff gear and I bought a steel gear for the smaller one (no idea what it's called?) I hope i don;t have this problem again.

So your is from engine movement?
Old 04-30-2007, 05:19 AM
carpy100

well the diff cannot move so i'd remove the screws one by one then superglue them.then remove the diff brace.
then i'd loosen the 4 engine mounts, mesh it up again on the diff ring gear,threadlock the sucker back in then refit the diff brace using superglue. that shouldnt move then mate.

http://www.nookraceway.com/main.asp

they got a forum so ask away
Old 04-30-2007, 05:32 AM
canned-heat

right o mate will try that but im not convised it will work but i wll try anything now as im all out of ideas. Thanks very much for your help.

If anyone else got any other info or ideas i would luv to hear them to

Cheers guys
Old 04-30-2007, 05:43 AM
carpy100

ORIGINAL: JUCD VPR

I just bought a FG MT a few weeks ago and i've already torn two teeth off the rear diff gear and got that rear clunking noise as well.
I'm waiting on a new diff gear and I bought a steel gear for the smaller one (no idea what it's called?) I hope i don;t have this problem again.

So your is from engine movement?
i think you maybe confusing the diff gear with the spur gear. the diff ring gear is the one that is bolted to the diff case(the round cylinder at the back) this it hardened steel so should never really loose teeth.
the spur gear is the large plastic one that is on the side that meshes with the pinion gear(the small one that comes off the engine/cluch) usually if these gears strip its because the rear upper arm flexes and hits the spur gear(the big plastic one) this is most peoples first hopup, replaced with alloy items to stop flexing. the elcon rear upper arms are the strongest.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:42 AM
notman

what size gears are they.the ring gear and the lay shaft gear......wonder if they need to be a matched set like 16/48 or 18/46
maybe just maybe if you got a 16/46 your motor will not go back far enough to mesh............just an idea
Old 04-30-2007, 07:10 AM
canned-heat

yeh maybe your right i never thought of that i will check that 1st so what gears should i have in there? 16/48?

also i just thought i cant superglue anything in i dont have the tools to get them out again lol DOHH!!
Old 04-30-2007, 07:29 AM
JUCD VPR

NOPE not confusing them, i know what a diff gear is lol. Like i said it tore two teeth off the diff gear, my spur gear is completely fine, then i drove it anyway and it tore up the other little gear that the diff gear meshes to, but i have a steel one to replace it with and a new diff gear coming also.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:32 AM
JUCD VPR

I believe mine was from a rock though because the cylinder is scrathed up pretty bad also.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:15 AM
canned-heat

yeh i also last 2 teeth on my diff gear with in 1 week of having it cost me £30 to replace both gears wasnt best pleased
Old 04-30-2007, 08:31 AM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: canned-heat

yeh i also last 2 teeth on my diff gear with in 1 week of having it cost me £30 to replace both gears wasnt best pleased
How did it happen? Yah i am a little pissed also.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:27 AM
canned-heat

not sure the guy i bought it off new had a go and did it think he did landing with power on, off tiny ripple on the field and not having time to react. Come to think of it its been since then that i have all these problems......hummmmmm i wonder if its never been put back to geather right.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:28 AM
notman

ahhhhh the plot thickens
Old 04-30-2007, 01:05 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Since you guys are in the UK (less expensive shipping) you should try to get the Extreme Duty diff and layshaft gears from HobbyThek. I bought them for my Firehammer, got a small alloy engine mount and have not had any problems since. The gears are much tougher than stock FG and Smartech gears. The teeth are "regraded" to allow more slop in the mesh without causing problems. Check them out here (you will need to scroll around on this page):

http://www.rc-car-online.de/neue_produkte_eng.htm
Old 04-30-2007, 11:10 PM
Bratch96

To solve the engine movement problem, save yourself a lot of grief and do what I did. I retapped the the 4mm holes in the alloy motor mounts to 10 mm and used some good allen head screws. Hint: The Dremel tool is your friend. I also believe that that triangle brace that holds the large motor mount to the the diff mounts is also a culprit. But that's probably just my opinion.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:49 AM
canned-heat

Well guys guess what.... notmans idea of gears been wrong sizes seems to be the problme im not getting my hopes up yet but i went home and checked and the pinion gear is 14T and the diff gear is 48T hummmm let me think???

I like your idea of drilling bigger holes in the mounts i was also thinking about doing that too but its nice to know its been done and works fine before i did it.

I have checked out that website kengentry5000 and im going to leave it for now i think and wait till i got the cash then buy both the diff and pinion gear at the same time.

Thanks for all your help guys i think my worries may just have been sorted (fingers crossed)
Old 05-01-2007, 06:28 AM
notman

ORIGINAL: canned-heat

Well guys guess what.... notmans idea of gears been wrong sizes seems to be the problme im not getting my hopes up yet but i went home and checked and the pinion gear is 14T and the diff gear is 48T hummmm let me think???

I like your idea of drilling bigger holes in the mounts i was also thinking about doing that too but its nice to know its been done and works fine before i did it.

I have checked out that website kengentry5000 and im going to leave it for now i think and wait till i got the cash then buy both the diff and pinion gear at the same time.

Thanks for all your help guys i think my worries may just have been sorted (fingers crossed)

is the diff gear fubar'd? if not just go and a 16 pinion and have fun
..............glad i could help..............
Old 05-01-2007, 08:31 AM
canned-heat

narr diff gear is in top shape. i have ordered the 16T gear today so will have it for tomorro.

will let u all know how it goes. You never know there maybe a bigfoot up for sale by the weekend if this dont work lol. I iwll report back on thursday.

Thanks again everyone
Old 05-03-2007, 03:53 AM
canned-heat

We guys i told you i would let you all know if the 16T gear worked and guess what IT DID!! i got my beast back and shes roars like a ***** and goes like a whippit on speed lol so thanks for the suggestion i just whish i had asked sooner.

see u all soon