Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

X-Can for my Monster Buggy.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 09:20 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default X-Can for my Monster Buggy.

My new X-Can arrived, today. I chose the rear stingers configuration made for the HPI Baja and it fits perfectly on the Monster Buggy. I'll have to wait until tomorrow evening to try it out and see how much of an improvement an X-Can makes on the low-end power of that 23cc Zen......it would be nice to throw up some rooster tails coming off of the line. [sm=thumbup.gif]

Bye Bye stock can!
Jason

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65122.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	678492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55506.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	678493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20033.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	678494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16835.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	678495  
Old 05-05-2007, 10:15 PM
krayziedxc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: X-Can for my Monster Buggy.

looks good, hows the cen wheels holding up?
Old 05-05-2007, 10:56 PM
icecreamslick

Thanks! I have only put about half of a gallon through the motor since installing the wheel adapters and wheels, but so far, so good. [sm=thumbup.gif] Watch, now that I've opened my big mouth, they will all fall off at the same time..........while its just setting in the garage. [sm=tired.gif]

Jason
Old 05-07-2007, 08:32 AM
icecreamslick

I drove the MB with the X-Can for about half of a tank and it was awesome! [sm=thumbup.gif] The crisp sound from the exhaust kind of surprised me.

Much better throttle response, and the front wheels still stayed on the ground. I even took a few steep jumps and got air of about five or six feet with the additional power. Everything, including the wheel adapter mod, held up great.

.........the spur gear melted, though. [sm=pirate.gif] I will try to vent some of the heat away from the transmission gears with a few holes in the gear cover and mesh to keep the rocks out. Maybe another Outerwears cover would work. [sm=50_50.gif] I hope the holes help because there are no steel gears for a TRAXXAS buggy.

I also ordered a pinion gear heat sink that is made for the HPI Baja, which may help if I can make it fit properly.

Jason
Old 05-07-2007, 08:10 PM
TheFgMan01

Looks really good dude [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 05-10-2007, 02:48 PM
icecreamslick

Thanks, TheFgMan01. [sm=thumbup.gif] It is not as fancy as some, but I really like it.

In case anyone with a TRAXXAS Monster Buggy ever reads this thread and wonders, it was not heat generated by the engine or due to a more powerful exhaust that caused the spur to melt. It turned out to be heat generated by a loose slipper clutch, instead. []

Once I the parts arrive, I will have to tighten down the slipper more, so that it does not move as much during high traction driving.

Jason
Old 05-11-2007, 03:03 PM
CSXJoe
Banned

very niiiiice.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:56 PM
benchmark

u may consider making (or buying) some a pair of stingers for that X-can. Otherwise prepare to have a blackend stikky rear end always
Old 05-12-2007, 06:17 PM
icecreamslick

u may consider making (or buying) some a pair of stingers for that X-can. Otherwise prepare to have a blackend stikky rear end always
Good call, Benchmark........but, I beat you to it. I installed these last night with a cold muffler weld. They could probably stand to be a little longer, but I think they will do. I don't really like the tubing and these steel spacers kind of match the can.

Thanks!
Jason

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44735.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	683108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75854.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	683109  
Old 05-13-2007, 02:49 AM
carpy100

cant you fit fg steel gears? i'd have thought the layshaft is the same diameter? then all you got to do is dremel some flats for the grub screws??
Old 05-13-2007, 10:59 AM
icecreamslick

I really have no idea. I know that the FG uses a gear carrier and the TRAXXAS has a compression-type slipper clutch, so they don't seem compatible. [sm=50_50.gif] Even though I think that I remember the steel spur being very different from the stock plastic spur of the Monster Beetle that I had, I would be more apt to take the chance if I had the metal working skills/tools to get around any modification problems. I can't drill holes in hardened steel with my tools. [:@]

Plus, the pitch of the gears may not be the same. Since the gear positions are not adjustable like on a nitro or an electric, the gear mesh is also not adjustable; they are very likely to be too tight or too loose even if they are the same pitch. [] I tell you what though, if I melt one more plastic spur due to the slipper clutch, I may have to bite the bullet and give it a try.

If there is anyone out there in the ether who has both an FG and a TRAXXAS Monster Buggy on hand, I could really use a comparison. [&:]
Old 05-13-2007, 03:50 PM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Hey icecreamslick, what type of extension pipe did you use? I have left side stingers on my Firehammer's X-Can and was thinking about extending it.

I tried the silcone tubing but the design of the left/right exit stingers is bad. The tubes are too close togther for the silicone tubing. I tried slicing some of the tube wall off and got them on snugly but they wouldn't stay on. I've been running with extensions and its a little messy.

I'm with you on the improvement in performance. I have a stock 26cc Zen on my Firehammer and the X-Can woke it up quite a bit. Nothing like a tuned pipe but at least I can steer at WOT from a stand-still

The exhaust note is awesome too.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:07 PM
icecreamslick

Sorry Ken, but I think that the steel spacers that I used are even thicker than the silicone tube. The face plate on the rear facing X-Can has wider spaced stingers. [] I picked mine up at Lowes, so all you would need to do is measure the diameter of a stinger and make sure that the inside diameter of the spacer is slightly bigger (I'm sure you knew that).

However, I think that these three inch stingers might be the answer to your problem. Or you could get the 6 inch set and cut them to the length that you want:

http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product2160.html

If I had seen them before, that's what I would have bought.

Jason
Old 05-14-2007, 08:59 AM
kengentry5000
My Feedback: (2)

Very cool extensions! Price is also good. I bet the 3 inch ones would be good.

Thanks,
Ken