Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

scratchbuilt custom Radio Control Tractor Trailor

Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

scratchbuilt custom Radio Control Tractor Trailor

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:16 PM
DieCastoms

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scratchbuilt custom Radio Control Tractor Trailor

Hello Fellow Hobbyists!
My name is Michael. I own and operate "DieCastoms" which is a small simple business that modifies hotwheels size cars, for the hell of it. I mostly go by Blaise online, but feel free to call me pretty much anything you want.

The reason I am posting here is I have a project in mind that I would like some advice on. You can see an overview of the project here:
[link=http://www.eccentrix.com/members/jesuswithglasses/diecastoms/rctt.html]Radio Control Tractor Trailer[/link]

There are newer posts at [link=http://diecastoms.blogspot.com]DieCastoms.BlogSpot.com[/link] but I need to repair all the photo links since I moved.

My main questions for you are:
I'm running a 33cc 2stroke engine with a 5:1 reduction trans w/ 'automatic' clutch and a chain sprocket as the final pto. What suggestions can you give me on getting the power to the pavement? I would like selectable gear ranges if at all possible and reverse, as well as a differential. I'm not looking to spend thousands of dollars on custom parts and am more interested in re-using other items like lawnmower and electric wheelchair parts ETC.

Also, what are my options for brakes? I see where Mudgy built/is building a chainsaw powered dragster used a brake out of a strapping machine. Where could I get a similar brake, Mudgy if you are reading, how did you acquire yours?

Can someone point me to a good site that will help me learn about what size/strength servos I will need? I have four Futaba S3004 servos and servo mounting hardware for them and need trottle, brake and steering.

[NOTE: I am currently at work. I assume I can come back and edit this post later. I don't know how long I can let the page sit before I get kicked out of the post forms so I am posting it as-is and will edit through the evening as I have chances to. Thanks]

Mike from DC.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:19 AM
Mudgy

Default RE: scratchbuilt custom Radio Control Tractor Trailor

G'day Michael,

The brake caliper is from an older style Pallet strapping machine (automated Industrial) which has become obsolete

- don't worry, parts are still available-
The company is from the USA

Illinois Tool Works (ITW)
used to be "Signode" which used to be "Delta-Cyklop"

The model of the machine is APS-2 Pallet Strapper
The dispenser was a PSD - 105 - 3
You need the brake assembly from that - I only have on hand the old number - they can interpret from there
Part # 985-300-002 CALIPER UNIT, KH No. 230M2

I have repaired ride-on mowers before, and this caliper is of equal size.
If that can stop a 100kg machine, with (usually) a 100 kg rider, then it can EASILY pull up an RC vehicle, regardless of speed

Find a Signode distributor, and you'll be on the right track
Old 05-11-2007, 06:39 AM
DieCastoms

Thank You Mudgy for that information!! Much appreciated. How much force does it take to 'apply' the brake? would one of the s3004 servos I mentioned handle it?

Someone sent me a private message that I would be thrown out when mods saw this post. Any reason why?

Mike from DC

[edit] Signode dealer in US found and contacted. Will copy their reply to this thread when I receive it.
For future reference:
http://www.itv.com
http://www.signode.com
http://www.signode.com/na/contacts/us_spss.htm Signode Packaging Systems Sales
Old 05-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Mudgy

I use a Hi Tec quarter scale servo:
for throttle/brake = HS-705MG
steering = same
chute =HS-785HB sail winch

Since I have bought these servos, I now know that the steering servo in the HPI Baja has quite a lot more grunt
however, the servos I have do the job just fine when it comes to applying the brake
Old 05-11-2007, 05:15 PM
bigmodman

here are some robotic servos for you [link]http://www.vantec.com/index.htm[/link]
Old 05-11-2007, 09:53 PM
DieCastoms

Email received from ITW/Signode today:

Unfortunately part number 985300002 is an obsolete part which we no longer
carry. It was replaced by brake part # 478143. I dont know if that will work
for you but you may try contacting a distributor to purchase one. They would
have to provide you with pricing also.

I would love to see some more intricate pictures of your drive system Mudgy, closeup of the gear on the engine as well as how the grears mesh, and ratios if you know them.

Mike from DC
Old 05-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Mudgy

That is the new part number - same old part, just made in Canada nowadays

You get the caliper, thick and thin brake pad, pins, lever & nut.

My chainsaw clutch bell -- I ground off the saw chain teeth, machined the centre boss to get a clean shoulder profile

then I got (from local Industrial Supplier) standard sprockets (35ASA) and chain.
I machined a 10 tooth to slip over the clutch bell, and Mig welded it on, machined it again to make sure the chain didn't hit any weld bead(s)

It goes to a splitter transmission so, 10 tooth to a 20 tooth (first),
the 20 tooth lives on an idler shaft - next to this is another 10 tooth

We then go from the 10 tooth to the axle - a 36 tooth (this sprocket is from the APS-2 head, as well - hence my choice of chain/pitch)
The sprocket from the strapping head is heat treated (so I found out when trying to lighten it - hard work!)

this is how I got 7.2:1

the 20 tooth can be swapped later - I scored a 19T, 18T, .... down to 15T
Here's where I can play around with ratios

see the 1st page of my thread - you can see some pics from there
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_57..._1/key_/tm.htm

[8D][8D]