Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Which to buy ?? FG or HPI

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 07:12 PM
audio dynamics

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which to buy ?? FG or HPI

I'm am currently a 1/10 Revo w/a OS 1.8 owner and am looking to upgrade to something less destructable with more power. The guy in my hobby store is trying to talk me into a HPI Baja 2cyl gas powered truggy,However I did a search on 1/5 size trucks and truggys and found the FG line > www.largescalerc.com/FGMonsterTruck.html < .

In any event I'm looking for some input as which to buy a 1/5 HPI Baja or a 1/6 FG Bigfoot . I know the Baja is a truggy and the FG is a truck, But what I'm interested in is the quality of the vehical. I'm the type of person that will setup a 4 foot 1/4 pike and try to jump over my garage I want something I can bash hard with and not have to worry about chewing up gears busting control arms , Blowing up motors , Gear box problems ,ect.... I know everthing is breakable I just tired of spending $100+ in parts & 2 hrs working on this revo everytime I take it out & I want something more durable yet I want something take I can take to the dirtbike track or just run up and down the street. I'm under the impression the Baja is build tough and from the looks of the FG it looks like it can take a beating as well. Last but not least has anyone use the FG Stadium truck ???

Is there anyone who can please give me some input from actual usage of either vehical I want to buy 1 yesterday ?

Thanks for any input
Old 05-12-2007, 07:53 PM
fourwheeler

Default RE: Which to buy ?? FG or HPI

Jump over a house? Might be better off with a Savage.

I have both the Baja and an FG MT so I feel qualified to give an opinion. I find the Baja more durable out of the box. And yes it does have issues, like the tires rip, the shock shafts are a problem for some, and the radio system I found to be junk. I find the Baja to be my favorite right now.

The FG MT is also cool. It needs alloy upper rear a-arms and an alloy gear carrier. It also needs the front uprights switched to alloy. It has no radio so figure that into your initial cost unless you have a radio.

After a few simple mods either one will light up your face like

But the most important question is.....are there any FG dealers near to you? If you have to buy all your parts and hop-ups on the net like I do it sometimes gets tedious waiting for parts.

Hope this helps you out it's a pain to type this much with 2 fingers
Old 05-12-2007, 07:58 PM
MsDarla

I sold my HPI Baja on E B A Y to fund an FG. Well worth the loss to buy the FG.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:51 PM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the FG it takes a serious beating, check out my video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoIZkRGlnpY
Old 05-13-2007, 02:11 AM
carpy100

by the sounds of it you'll break either driving them really hard, theyre big and heavy but still made of plastic! they require respect unlike a little light nitro. i love fg and wouldnt own a baja, but from what ive seen i'd recommend one over fg for bashing with.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:14 AM
carpy100

forgot to add, the beetle bodied fg's are the most durable, the shell shape really helps spread the impacts when you flip it.most of the time it will roll back on its wheels.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:03 AM
itsnotskidding

i sooooo much like the beetle over the hummer!!....much better looking...
Old 05-13-2007, 05:52 AM
Dirby

i vote for the baja.
dirby
Old 05-13-2007, 07:33 AM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: Dirby

i vote for the baja.
dirby
I'll 2nd that vote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:16 AM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In any event I'm looking for some input as which to buy a 1/5 HPI Baja or a 1/6 FG Bigfoot . I know the Baja is a truggy and the FG is a truck, But what I'm interested in is the quality of the vehical.
Well, the Baja is not a truggy......at least not what I call a truggy. It is not 4WD and is more like a dune buggy/sand rail. Both vehicles are rear wheel drive and both need upgrades to handle what you want to do with them. It sounds like you are a no holds barred driver, so neither may ever be up to the task.

I have seen both in action and owned an FG Monster Beetle, so I feel confident in saying that the HPI Baja handles better. It certainly seems to hug the terrain, where an FG with the big tires seems to float over it.

Just my opinion.

Good Luck!
Jason
Old 05-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Busher

I can recommend the FG, In my opinion it is more durable than the Hpi Baja. But either will put a smile on your face.

Busher
Old 05-13-2007, 06:29 PM
T I G

Vote #3 for a Baja
I feel the suspension is far and beyond FGs, and a hell of a lot more durable.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:39 PM
audio dynamics

Okay I have made up my mind I'm going to go FG . Four wheeler thanks for your response sense you own both much appreciated. Yes I have a FG deal 1 state away a 1-2 hr drive or 1 day by priority mail for parts.. Now I wont try to jump a house the fist day I just wanted to give a good enaligy <"Spelling stinks" Yes I do plan to beat it to dead I love to play hard and have grown up riding dirtbikes and motorcycles so I want something to put to the test like I would a quad.

Last but not lease so I dont have to buy both & JUCD VPR I'm sure you can give me input on this. Should I buy the FG monster truck or the FG stadium truck. The over all truck looks the same except the stadium truck looks lower I assume it will handle better? So which one would you guys pick for a better alround vehical from grass fields to the dirtbike track to street. I have been leaning towards the stadium truck any input.

PS I saw the FG buggy style car can be converted to 4wd can the stadium turch be converted as well ?
Old 05-14-2007, 12:32 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I only own the MT, but I am sure the stadium truck will handle better because it's lower but the MT can go over rougher terrain, SO I was in the same situation when buying and looked around alot, i went with the MT and haven't looked back. I'm VERY happy with it! The MT looks cooler to me also. Seems like your not really going to race it so I say go for the FG MT.

These 1/5 scale chassis sit low as it is and their LONG so they tend to get hung up on rough terrain, thats why i went with the MT because I wanted a little more ground clerance. You can;t go wrong either way, but i say MT. Hope I helped!

I vote FG MT!
Old 05-14-2007, 09:50 AM
T I G

I had an MT and have a Baja(owned them at the same time). My MT sat after I got my Baja.
You wont try jumping over a house the first day, lol, sure you will.
The ST and MT both perform pretty much the same. The difference is the tire size and I beleive the gearing as well.
Either way you go, you'll love'em.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:12 PM
audio dynamics

Okay so the FG MT it is and I'll just buy a smaller set of tires for the street. Let me ask you guys obviously these are standard 2 stroke weed wacker motors but is there as much maintence as a nitro like tuning and adjust ments everytime you use them?
Old 05-14-2007, 08:32 PM
T I G

I wouldnt consider them standard WeedWacker motors. They are specifically designed for RC use.
Maintenance[:'(], we dont need no stinkin maintenance, lol j/k. They need some but not much. The initial tune is pretty much it. Once you get that, youre set. Until you start modding it, then you'll have to do a little more adjusting here and there, nothing major. You wont have to tune it every time you go out, before during and after every run. Kiss that good bye
2 pulls and your off for hours of fun, plain and simple.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:44 PM
bryan70546
My Feedback: (4)

well i guess i will jump in on this one .i have not posted here in a while because well something has happened to this side of rcu but anywho most of the regulars here know me .
so hello guys .now back on track .this is just my two cents worth .i have had a fg had ok.i have a baja ,and very nice hop-up kick-ass fast baja at that ,and of course i have the king of kings my beloved mcd 4x4 esp powered 30.5 beast .now i am a die hard mcd guy .but sadly i have noticed my self NOT running my mcd and allways taken out the baja .you just cant beat it man its cheap to buy and parts can be found anywheres .yea it has it flaws but they are minor and the after market is huge for it also.now dont get me wrong fg makes a great product .but when you start breaking that fg it can get costly .like i said just my two cents you can spend your money on a 1300 1500 fg are you can buy you a 920.00 baja .that has a warrenty and customer support . you guys take care the newbs around here sadly i will probley be saleing my allmost new mcd to help with more important things. with this new job i hardly have time to enjoy it .[]
Old 05-15-2007, 08:11 AM
T I G

Hi bryan,
Hows things?

I pretty much stopped using my FG MT when I got my Baja. Just like bryan said, parts are plentyfull and the aftermarket is awesome.
Think about, with the money you save on buying a Baja, you can put that right into mods if your so stuck on spending 1300. You would have a seriously fast and blingin buggy.
Its a no brainer for most of us.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:29 AM
R.Robinson
Banned

Personaly I wouldn't buy either. The product quality isn't the best. You may want to consider MCD if you want 4x4.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:51 AM
bryan70546

i dont think he wants 4x4. TIG things are going great just dont get much time off here latley with this new job .trying to buy a new house , and where just starting on that so i will saleing my mcd this week on ebay when i get home along with all the stuff i got for it.should bring a good price. probley will list it here also.but every time i lisy something on rcu all those folks hassle you wanting to trade those crappy little nitros for a 2500.00 mcd ,so off to ebay.but my good ole baja stays .
ORIGINAL: R.Robinson

Personaly I wouldn't buy either. The product quality isn't the best. You may want to consider MCD if you want 4x4.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:08 PM
T I G

Yeah, if you put it on here, get ready for a lowball fest. Ebay it.
Good Luck with the new house, thats great. Hopefully everything will work out. I'll keep my fingers crossed for yah
Old 05-15-2007, 02:47 PM
bryan70546

Thanks buddy.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:46 PM
audio dynamics

ORIGINAL: R.Robinson

I actually like 4x4 but didnt know they made the 1/5 scale in 4x4 but 2500 for a MCD sounds way to steap for me. The only reason I was going to go for the MT is cause it looks like it has more ground clearance than the baja .So I figured the travel on the suspension would not allow it to bottom out with jumps . Dman now you guys got me 2nd guessing myself LOL. Understand I live in NY and I really only have several options to play with either vehical .option #1 is inthe local woods @ the dirt bike track where I used to ride my banshee. #2 at the local baseball fields "yeah maintance loves that hehehe" #3 on the block just bashing across neighbors yards and .

my thoughts yeah the baja is cheaper and parts maybe in more abundance however it seem more like a track or desert toy . the MT seems more like I can run it up and down the side walks jump curbs take it to the dirtbike track or even in the back yard just like a overiszed Revo truck a more all round stable truck.

By all means I dont want to waste 1300 and be disappointed but I also dont want to spend 950 on a Baja and basiclly have a larger gas powered Mugen. What I really want is a RC that I can run like a full size race quad. Man I should just buy a savage and a Quad LOL
Old 05-16-2007, 12:15 AM
Bratch96

or you could buy a Tonka truck and hit it with a golf club a few hundred times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.