Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

My carb wont suck fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 03:54 AM
Hutch-e-bee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My carb wont suck fuel

My Walbro 813 wont suck fuel up from the tank when it is hot. It is definetly the carb as my 603 carb works fine. Has anyone dismantled a Walbro carb and can point out what to look for inside that maybe the problem? Thanks
Old 06-03-2007, 05:56 AM
crackin77

Default RE: My carb wont suck fuel

sounds like its suckin air inbetween the face of the carb and the head? maybe the mating face warps a tiny bit when hot
Old 06-03-2007, 06:11 AM
Hutch-e-bee

When I replace the 813 with the 603 on the same engine it runs fine. When you first start up with the 813 its fine but after about 15 mins the engine revs up and dies. I put a clear pipe on the intake so I could see the fuel flow. When it is cold its fine when it is hot it wont pull the fuel from the tank hence the fuel starvation. Does anyone know how the carbs work? What actually moves to pull the fuel to the carb? And why would it only fail when the engine is hot? And then work again when the engine cools down?!!
Old 06-03-2007, 07:29 AM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

throw the 813 carb back on and once you hear the rev's going up bring it back and crack the fuel tank and vent it if everything going back to correct idle its more then likely a venting problem . the fuel tank needs to be vented .
Old 06-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Hutch-e-bee

My tank is vented! I have [link=http://www.rossendalemodels.co.uk/index.php?mod=product&id_prd=5236]this...[/link]
Old 06-03-2007, 01:41 PM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Hutch-e-bee

My tank is vented! I have [link=http://www.rossendalemodels.co.uk/index.php?mod=product&id_prd=5236]this...[/link]
Sorry then that was my 2 cents
Old 06-03-2007, 03:30 PM
kennyrccars

When I replace the 813 with the 603 on the same engine it runs fine. When you first start up with the 813 its fine but after about 15 mins the engine revs up and dies. I put a clear pipe on the intake so I could see the fuel flow. When it is cold its fine when it is hot it wont pull the fuel from the tank hence the fuel starvation. Does anyone know how the carbs work? What actually moves to pull the fuel to the carb? And why would it only fail when the engine is hot? And then work again when the engine cools down?!!
There is a small hole in the crank case, just below the intake port. There is also a hole in the isloator block & carb. A pulse (rising/falling pressure) is sent from the crank case to the carb, this then operates the diaphragm pump at the bottom of the carb which keeps the carb full of fuel & fires fuel through the jets and into the engine.

If your convinced the problem is with your carb you could try a changing over the 603/813 diaphragms.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Hutch-e-bee

I have the reed engine. I am assuming that this hole would still be there?!! I have swapped the diaphragms and the little bits under it (spring and valve and little lever thing!) and it still does it! It just refuses to start for about 10 minutes but it doesnt do it with the 603. It is totally baffling me!
Old 06-03-2007, 04:09 PM
kennyrccars

I have the reed engine. I am assuming that this hole would still be there?!! I have swapped the diaphragms and the little bits under it (spring and valve and little lever thing!) and it still does it! It just refuses to start for about 10 minutes but it doesnt do it with the 603. It is totally baffling me!
Yes the hole is still there as the reed also uses the pulse to open at the correct time.

If the 603 is working ok, why not just stick with that. You have a reed engine, how much grunt do you need???

You could give Rob at www.alroracing.com a call he's a 'real' expert when it comes to 1/5th engines.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Hutch-e-bee

ORIGINAL: kennyrccars

You have a reed engine, how much grunt do you need???
As much as I can get!!!

Old 06-03-2007, 04:18 PM
kennyrccars

ORIGINAL: kennyrccars

You have a reed engine, how much grunt do you need???
As much as I can get!!!

Nice!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2007, 06:41 PM
MrMikeG

I think your not lining up the pulse hole properly or your bolts are bottoming out allowing an airleak, the heat makes the manifold warp and leak more.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Hutch-e-bee

I think you may be right! As soon as it cools down (about 10 mins) its ready to go again. But there is no adjustment on carb positioning so I am thinking maybe there is something a little askew on the 813 as the 603 is fine.