Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Firehammer clone

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:01 PM
motors4fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firehammer clone

I bought a clone and have been very happy with everything, except I just can't get the carb adjustment right. when i get it to idle right and not make the car drive off, it bogs down and won't run. if i change the idle and it runs faster (car driving offat about 2-3 mph) the car drives around for 2-3 minutes and shuts off. when i trie to find a happy medium with the L and H screws it just doesn't run good at all. I have checked for leaks around the carb and manifold. nothing there. I am running 89 octane and synthetic oil at 25:1.

hope someone can help

thanks in advance
Old 06-11-2007, 12:12 PM
pohlmeyr

Default RE: Firehammer clone

i also ran into the same problem you are describing. I upgraded to this carb and all my worries are gone. It is a really good carb with great ideling quality and top end performance.

[link=http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product2026.html]http://www.davesmotors.com/store/product2026.html[/link]

-keith
Old 06-11-2007, 12:17 PM
motors4fun

I looked into some of the stuff daves sells. I am probably going to have to purchase that one. I just have spending more money on something after i just forked out a bunch just to purchase it. Seem sot me it should just drive right out of the box with minimal tuning.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:19 PM
pohlmeyr

I got mine to actually run decent it just had no punch and a lot of top end. Good ole China stuff though. So you kinda get what you pay for. I heven;t really broken to much on mine, but the stuff i have broken i just got from tower hobbies for the FH Mt and everything so far has fit perfect.

-keith
Old 06-11-2007, 12:41 PM
motors4fun

everything on the truck I am pleased with but this dam engine idle is killing me. I want to be able to stop the car and drive off and like it is supposed to. If I get the above mentioned carb can i expect the truck to perform like it should? Any one else use that carb on an unmodified 23cc engine?

thanks again for all the help
Old 06-11-2007, 01:00 PM
ratpower396

you could always tighten the brakes up a little more & the idle wont move it as easy
Old 06-11-2007, 01:10 PM
hndaman1
My Feedback: (6)

For starters what do you have you H/L setting @ now?
Old 06-11-2007, 02:41 PM
John d

Hi
I had the same trouble i now mix my fuel at 32/1 and my spark plug gap set at .25 the car is running great .
Dave
Old 06-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Bratch96

What kind of carb comes stock with this rc?
Old 06-11-2007, 09:25 PM
motors4fun

I started the whole thing with 32:1 to begin with. I will have to check the spark plug gap. I don't have a gapper but i will get one tomorrow. I think the carb is a walboro but it does not have a fitting next to the primer bulb as the rest of the carbs on davesmotors do. other then that they look identical. I had the settings stock to begin with. L=1.50 turns and the H=1.25 turns. I don't want to tighten the brake because I do not want any abnormal wear. Is there a way to increase the rpm at which the clutch engages?

Thank you for all the help so far.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:52 AM
whizzy

yes by lightening the clutch shoes it will engage later
Old 06-12-2007, 06:34 AM
Bratch96

ORIGINAL: whizzy

yes by lightening the clutch shoes it will engage later

Wouldn't you tighten the nut on the clutch to make it engage at a higher rpm?
Old 06-12-2007, 06:36 AM
Bratch96

Are you sure the idle screw isn't set to high.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:49 AM
MrMikeG

Wow, a lot of different things could be happening, first what are you trying to do with your adjustments. Low adjust your low speed to mid-range performance, high adjust only your top end. Idle screw increases your idle. If your using your low needle to adjust your idle your doing it wrong, first get the motor running good then adjust your idle with the idle screw. Bolts on the clutch don't change the engagement speed, you must change the spring for that. You should be able to get it to idle down without the clutch dragging and not have to use the brakes, a dragging clutch will melt your gears.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:59 PM
cobaltltblue

hey bro we need to meet up i can fix your motor. ci an help you get everything set right. i'll bring my tool bag to the Mount.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Slammed

LOL so your going to austrailia ??

lol where in the east coast are you im in CT and could use a tune up on mine too (would pay you of course)

ORIGINAL: cobaltltblue

hey bro we need to meet up i can fix your motor. ci an help you get everything set right. i'll bring my tool bag to the Mount.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:30 PM
motors4fun

Well i took the carb and manifold off today to look for any broken gaskets and while i was at it i cleaned and reoiled the airfilter, set the plug gap to .25 and set everything to factory specs. still would not run unless i took the L screw out like 2 turns maybe a bit more. I was able to get it to idle with out driving away but i could not open the throttle at all, i just die. tried to increase the H setting and still no luck. i even sprayed some Wd40 around the manifold to see if there was some sort of leak and no change at all there. I am just assuming i ended up with a crappy carb. I have one last shot on friday with a guy from this forum to help me tune it. if it don't go well then i will be buying the carb from daves. Anyone else out there have something to report about how that one behaves. I am just curious how well it works with the accelorator pump.

thanks again for everybodys patience and help.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:42 PM
cobaltltblue

i'm in norfolk, VA this is my first big truck but i fix my mower and rebuild weedeaters and such
Old 06-13-2007, 12:48 AM
TheFgMan01

Stupid question... what kind of radio do you have?? is your trim on your throttle off by any chance causing the throttle to be open a bit?? something small you have just missed... weird that your car is idling that high even after messing with the Idle screw.. Another thing which happend to me that sounds like a similair prob.. the butterfly in your carb, check and see if the scre is tight. if it's not it's letting in air
Old 06-13-2007, 05:14 AM
Slammed

so your saying that when you goto throttle it up it bogs out and stalls like this video of mine ?

All I do is close the choke abit and when it idols up open it and goose it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJw7O7_nteU
Old 06-13-2007, 10:35 AM
motors4fun

Does anyone have any experiance with 2 stroke tachs? i was looking at this one and wanted to know if it would work with the type of engines in our trucks.
[link]http://www.amickssuperstore.com/ENM_2_stroke_Tachometer_p/enm%20pt15b2%20tachometer.htm[/link]
Old 06-13-2007, 11:18 AM
cobaltltblue

reading the dealer description it looks like it would. kinda neat idea.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:37 AM
John82601

That tach does look interesting. The only kicker is the 2.5 second refresh rate. If it was quicker (even a 1 sec refresh) I'd probably get one.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:56 AM
motors4fun

I don't want to mount it to the truck, pretty good tool just to get the idle right. What do these engines normally idle at?
Old 06-14-2007, 10:50 AM
motors4fun

Well after a few hours tinkering with the thing, i finally got it right (i hope). I took apart the clutch assembly thinking that i may have been mistaken about the carb being the problem and possibly being a bad clutch. To much drag= engine stalls. So low and behold i noticed that i could not move the shoes very easily. I then turned the bolt that holds each shoe very slightly and they were able to be opened up smoothly. I then put the whole thing back together (brake assmebly is a pretty lame design, i want to go with front discs.) and now i can idle it and it won't drive away. I still have some small adjustments i am sure but i am very pleased. While it was running i was able to turn the gear on the clutch by hand a few degrees with out any kind of grabbing. i tested this every so often while the i let the engine idle for about 10 minutes. I have to go to work so i can't report on how it holds up while driving, but i am sure that those screws being so tight was the problem.

thank you for everyones input and advice.