Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

xrc 1/5 scale buggy tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 02:44 AM
prefa1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xrc 1/5 scale buggy tips

heya, i picked up an xrc 1/5 th off road buggy about 2 months ago,and finally i think ive ironed all the bugs outta myne...the weak points that ive found are:
.driveshafts will wear out or fail (throwing a pin) quickly..ive found maby 2-3 tanks for the standard shafts.ive found a cheap way of rebuilding them too which ill post later!
.tyres just the same issues as ive heard the hpi guys complaining about,the rears have a tendency to self destruct...and thy are expensive to replace..ive developed a method of using mountainbike tyres as treads for the buggy ,they work 100 times better than "bought" tyres il post pics
.steering servo,replace the steering servo with a steel geared unit!!!!!!!
.the small steel pinion gear in the gearbox seems to wear quickly.
.shocks,i cant seem to find shock absorber parts,so i have resorted to making upper shock mounting eyelets using 8mm wide 50mm long bolts. You cut the head down(to about 2mm) and round it off to fit into the upper alloy cap on the shock,then you cut the shaft of the bolt down the middle so it is a half moon shape all the way to the head ,then drill a hole to fit the mounting bolt, they end up being longer (depending where you drill the hole) so you can jack the car up and use more of the shock adjustments.
.put a lock nut on either rear upper control arms,they seem to vibrate loose and you get one of the rear wheels developing about 20 degrees of Positive camber!!
.slide half an inch of rubber fuel hose or similar over the front steering stoppers (the long bolts sticking up through the lower front control arms) this stops the front wheels turning too far and jamming in an accident (saving steeing parts and$$)
.i made a manifold to suit a paper victa airfilter element which seems to breathe better than the standard filter which is not very effective!!
.solder some heavy wires and a plug onto the battery (in the car) this alows you to quickcharge the battery without melting down the standard wires.
.the alloy "t" pieces at the rear which hold the upper rear controls arm to the chassis are drilled of centre so they will break with the slightest bingle,not to mention when you tighten the grub screw too much...i ended up making a set using a 8mm thick nylon chopping board cut and drilled to shape.....i works great cos its flexible and you dont need the grub screw at all....
.standard radio transmiter (controller) was cheap and nasty and nearly caused the death of my buggy due to interference!!throw it straight away and get a decent transmitter!!!!!!!
EVEN WITH MORE WORKSHOP TIME THAN DRIVE TIME,I LOVE IT ,ITS TAUGHT ME HEAPS AND GIVEN ME THINGS TO DO ON RAINY DAYS!![img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]

Attachments
Click to see fullsize image.
Click for fullsize Click to see fullsize image.
Click for fullsize
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23403.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	705522  
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2007, 04:34 PM
mbe301

Default RE: xrc 1/5 scale buggy tips

Great tips! Does the XRC have any interchangable parts with the baja 5B?
Old 06-18-2007, 12:00 AM
mbe301

too good to pass up
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3022&rd=1&rd=1

Can't wait for it to show up
Old 06-18-2007, 04:52 AM
prefa1

im still trying to find info on exchangeable parts,ive heard that a zenoah pullstarter will fit but i dont know from which motor,alot of 5b parts look very similar to the xrc but i havent seen one in the flesh....im trying to find a motor swap that will fit straight up without having to make an adaptor plate....so if anyone knows which car the xrc is a rip off of,maby that would be a good donor???? i got my xrc complete for au$675 from a hobbyshop so they must be mega cheap wholesale!
Old 06-18-2007, 08:59 AM
mbe301

Have any pics of your other mods?
Old 06-19-2007, 03:11 AM
prefa1

il post more pics this week,been busy as!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 04:45 PM
PeterR

Hi All. We actually race these buggies here in Sydney with Late Model Speedway bodies on them and found them to be quiet relaible for there price range. With the t piece rear
arm holders i actually had some made from 10mm sheet of aluminuim and will never break again.As far as air filters go we are using a short stack foam racing filter.. With the exhaust take the stinger and rubber fitting off all togeteher and throw in the bin Have had problems with steering servos from new not being centred and as soon as you turn them on for the first they break if you dont centre them BEFORE you power them up. Pull starts are not a problem yet. Better spark plug is a must.. With the rear drive shafts we actually take out the drive pins from new and replace with hi tensile roll pins they work a treat. With the drive hubs when they start to wear we just fill the gaps with weld and temper them fixs that problem.. Any more tips we come across we will let u know
Thanks Pete
Old 06-21-2007, 06:39 AM
prefa1

hey pete,cheers for ur ideas,did you get many of the alloy t pieces made?or just 1 set?id be interested in picking up a pair to replace the nylon ones i made if you can get any more!! so you guys race on road cars....thats probably why you havent had any pullstarter issues yet,the offroaders seem to take more punishment... have you heard of any engine swaps that dont require too many mods? im keen to get another engine as just after running my motor in i inspected the airfilter and found the standard foam element wasnt sealing against the housing so it let in a heap of fine dust in!!!!yay!!! im not keen to rebuild it as im sure id be better off putting a bit of cash into a higher quality built motor! cheers,Ramon.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:25 PM
PeterR

Hi Ramon.No we actually racethe XRC Buggy and dont have problems with pull starts and yes i made about 15-20 alloy uprights P.M me and can arrange to send no probs
If you arent busy this Sunday we are racing at Luddenham at the Model Park on luddenham road. Only costs $15.00 entry per car and the whole farm is operating not just the Speedway. Hope to meet you there
Thanks Pete

P.S i have the no:14 late model
Old 08-27-2007, 05:49 AM
cmewse

Hi guys,

prefa1 as far as i know the xrc rc-2 is a copy of the Technokit SuperCross, they seem http://www.technokit.it/models_supercross.html

Can you give a little more detail as to how you mounted the MTB tires on the wheels?
Old 08-27-2007, 05:55 AM
cmewse

Has any one tride to fit the FG performance exhaust from their touring car, the engine from it is mounted the same way and looks like it should work?

http://fg-cars.com/proddetail.php?prod=1011
Old 08-27-2007, 10:20 AM
mbe301

ORIGINAL: cmewse

Hi guys,

prefa1 as far as i know the xrc rc-2 is a copy of the Technokit SuperCross, they seem http://www.technokit.it/models_supercross.html

Can you give a little more detail as to how you mounted the MTB tires on the wheels?
Yup, even has the same crazy transmitter. That pipe looks like it would work, how do you find a part number for it?
Old 08-28-2007, 11:51 AM
JRexA

That is the FG Big Power Exhaust

FG PN# 7403

Here are more onroad pipes that might fit: http://www.rc-car-online.de/htengreso.htm

The Top Scale Tuning Top 3 mini 360 with the fleksible header should fit most anything
http://www.top-scale-tuning.de

Here shown with some additional side pipes.

There is also a Samba 6 onroad on the way, exclusively from FG. Should be the best Samba ever.

Here is where I found that pic
http://www.rctek.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5487
Old 08-25-2008, 11:23 AM
alcabee

hi
I have recently bought a xrc buggy, only had it two days and have not even run it in yet. I hear almost every one has problems with the gear running directly from the clutch but I did not even use one tank before this happened. should I take this one back? I can see the design fault as there is so much flex from the torque of the engine. I have thought of two things... firstly getting someone to machine me a gear maybe a fraction bigger so they are closer together or modifying with some kind of brace to keep the gears engaged. what do you think?
cheers
alex
Old 08-25-2008, 11:55 AM
turbodremz23
My Feedback: (16)

would you be willing to share how you did modified/mounted the mountain bike tires, and managed to get them to stay in place?
Old 08-25-2008, 05:37 PM
RCMASTER1

we need to keep this thread goin, id be very interested to know how you did the MBT as well! the guy i got mine from did the nuts on the back of the bulks also and he did a brace along the back to strengthen it, also said he put one on the pullstarter side of the motor since there was no support there, never looked at another xrc up close so dont know if this is true or not,loL! he also switched the upper rear susp arms to what you see in the pic, now i ran this thing about 3times and the 2nd time out i did a 180 into my fence and the turnbuckle broke out of the arm, so not sure if these are better then the stockers or not or were he even got them cause i cant find anylike whats on there but figured id share my pics, i think mine has some diff gears too cause my motor has the ddm 27cc bigbore kit on port and gasket matched with a velocity stack and high flow filter think the carb was P&P also, but i know it hauls A##!!, id like to find a good pipe to fit as well cause rite now its running a gutted stocker

Old 08-26-2008, 07:21 AM
TeeKuang

Wow nice buggy, It's hard for me to make a decision btween XRC or a King Motor [&o] I would like to know more about mountain bike tire mod. RCMASTER1, if it's hard for you to buy a parts, you may try to use a soldering iron to fix it, since plastic can melt at high temperature then make a collar or clamp it with a small hose clamp.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:02 AM
RCMASTER1

no i can get anypart for it from FGSUPPLY.com they seem to carry evrything for it, or imexrc.com makes alot of the same parts that fit for there blaster buggy, but the susp arms on there now are from something else and i cant figure out what? and the guy i got it from cant rember were he got them from,loL! but i still have both stock susp arms if i have to switch them, heres a full pic next to my micro,lol!
Old 09-02-2008, 02:14 AM
prefa1

hey guys theres a post around somewhere that i sent with detailed instructions on making the tyres with mtb tyres the thread is called "make yer own tyres" i cant find it.... havent been on this site for ages....
Old 09-02-2008, 02:19 AM
prefa1

that post is on ****************.com
Old 09-02-2008, 05:27 AM
TeeKuang

Found it http://www.large-scale-forums.com/fo...read.php?t=904 just remove '-' you are so creative Prefa