Community
Search
Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

Engine break in procedure?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 06:05 PM
NitroBurn1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine break in procedure?

I have been going buy the Firehammer instructions because the Smartech ones suck. The Duratrax manual says to run 2 tanks without adjusting the high end, so I just adjusted the carb enough to keep the engine running, and drove around not going to fast, but the engine was pretty boggy. Is this good for the engine, because my plug is fouled quite a bit.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:02 PM
wyd

Default RE: Engine break in procedure?

I have a FH as well. I just mixed the my oil/gas ratio to 32 to 1 and run it. I dondn't run it ver hard the first tank but ran at varying speeds. After that I actually had ti richen my lowend from the factory setting to take away some of my lowend bogging. I leaned the highend just so it it cleaned itself out good.

I did put a pipe on now after two tankfuls and changed my settings a little. I actually had to lean the highend end out some to get it to run good and again had to richen my lowend a tad to get it to not bog. It runs like a champ.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:22 PM
NitroBurn1

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you done it pretty much the same as I am. Just came in from running the second tank, and im getting it tuned about right, but i can't get the idle set right. The idle screw is all the way down, and it still is to much.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:35 PM
MrMikeG

Technically the engines don't need break in but I always run them varying the speed for 3 or 4 tanks, after about 10 tanks you will hear the engine lossen up and pick up even more speed. Once in a while the needles vibrate and tune themselves, make sure your needles are tight and don't leak air or move around on you.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:46 PM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

Grip it and rip it.
What was the breakin procedure you used on you lawnmower or weed wacker??
Or your 2cycle motorcycle.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:10 PM
NitroBurn1

ORIGINAL: teamchrome

Grip it and rip it.
What was the breakin procedure you used on you lawnmower or weed wacker??
Or your 2cycle motorcycle.
Thats what i told myself today, i didn't break in my chainsaw, and it works fine. There are so many opinions on breakin, I now think its all a bunch of BS.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:13 PM
wyd

ORIGINAL: NitroBurn1

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you done it pretty much the same as I am. Just came in from running the second tank, and im getting it tuned about right, but i can't get the idle set right. The idle screw is all the way down, and it still is to much.
If you richen the lowend just a little it will bring your idle down. Mine is about 1/4 richer than when it came out of the box. So I acutally ended up turning up a my idle some.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:02 PM
NitroBurn1

ORIGINAL: wyd

If you richen the lowend just a little it will bring your idle down. Mine is about 1/4 richer than when it came out of the box. So I acutally ended up turning up a my idle some.

I got it running good today, and as you said I had to richen the lowend.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:06 PM
TheFgMan01

i just drove mine.. these arent nitro engine's.... ever hear of anyone breaking in a weedeater they just bought from lowes?
Old 07-06-2007, 09:26 PM
wyd

ORIGINAL: wyd

Great. Glad you have it running better.

I got it running good today, and as you said I had to richen the lowend.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:39 AM
Bratch96

The best thing to do, any time you run it, is let it warm up real good before running wide open.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:37 AM
ttoks

i don't know what your all on but a weed whacker aint an rc engine, it takes a good 20 hours of running to break in a two stroke motorbike properly, and if you have any brains at all you'll break it in properly.

if you thrash your car when it's new you will stuff it, it takes a good 6'000 mile sto run a car in, two stroke are a lot simpler and thus doint need as long to break in but that doesn't mean go thrashing it around and don't worry about break in, all the components still need to be seated properly just like any other engine, at the very very minimum run it with more oil for the first gallon or two.

in all rights to get the best life out of your yard equipment you will run it in, but with yard equipment your always varying the rpm anyway so it isn't as important to do a proper break in.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:47 AM
jimbo1890

i don't know what your all on but a weed whacker aint an rc engine, it takes a good 20 hours of running to break in a two stroke motorbike properly, and if you have any brains at all you'll break it in properly.

if you thrash your car when it's new you will stuff it, it takes a good 6'000 mile sto run a car in, two stroke are a lot simpler and thus doint need as long to break in but that doesn't mean go thrashing it around and don't worry about break in, all the components still need to be seated properly just like any other engine, at the very very minimum run it with more oil for the first gallon or two.
I'm with you ttocks.

These zenoah engines rev to around 18000rpm stock which is probably around three times your average weedwacker engine which has to comply with EPA rules for both sound and efficiency. This is also why a top quality oil is also recomended.

jimbo.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:05 AM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_51...tm.htm#5167758
Old 07-08-2007, 11:39 AM
Dave ESPI

When I was a kid, I ran my own lawn mowing buisiness, I was told by the powers that be ( DAD and the Salesman) to Read the instruction manual and know everything there is to know about my equipment BEFORE running it. Safety First !

I broke in my motors by running them as instructed, and it really does make a difference.

I still have the same string trimmer, push mower, and chainsaw to this day BECAUSE I properly maintained and broke in the engines. The trimmer has well over 10,000 hours run time on it and sits in my parents garage and is used every week still to this day. Quality takes care of you if you take care of the basics.

Even with a new car (real automobile) they say right in the owners instruction manual, do not abuse the motor. It requires a break in period of about 5000 miles................. but no-one ever reads that silly old book.......
Old 07-08-2007, 12:29 PM
teamchrome
My Feedback: (4)

Im REALLY certain that Earthsufer knows what he is talking abou.. If you know who he is..
You can follow your buddys idea of breakin or take it from a builder of engines like Earthsurfer..
Old 07-08-2007, 02:34 PM
cyclops1970
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: teamchrome

Im REALLY certain that Earthsufer knows what he is talking abou.. If you know who he is..
You can follow your buddys idea of breakin or take it from a builder of engines like Earthsurfer..
BINGO ...
Old 07-09-2007, 08:23 AM
Bratch96

If Earth Surfer says you don't need to break it in, then you don't. Who can really wait anyway?
Old 07-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Earth Surfer

Pro motocross mechanics would have their racers break in a new engine during practice---then race that same day. IMO, the ring is about the only part that could use a break in. Usually in two tanks, it is sealed all around the cylinder. I run them hard, so the higher cylinder pressure presses the ring against the cylinder wall with more pressure, to seat it quicker. this prevents blow by. A long break in may promote blow by IMO.

Here is one article that I agree with. It makes more sense to me.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm