RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

FG MT5 reved out ?

Old 07-08-2007, 10:36 AM
audio dynamics

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default FG MT5 reved out ?

I just picked up a MT5 with a 29 cc oneil motor and a jetpro pipe on it the little bugger moves but after 30-40 feet it has hit its top speed and just platues @ top speed . Now I know gearing it different will make me loose out of the get go but will allow him to go faster at top end. My question is I'm looking for the best of both worlds so I just ordered a 2speed from largescalerc.com with stock gear settings will that allow me to get more top end and be able to travel farther with out the winding out .

I ask this cause if I drag the fg agains my revo the fg takes it out of the hole but as soon as the the fg flat spots and the revo shifts gears the revo pulls away from the fg.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Dave ESPI

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: FG MT5 reved out ?

Have you properly broken in the engine ? You can't just run it full speed right off the first tank of gasoline. If the engine is used, then try adjustign the high end so it doesn't top out, OR well, if you are hitting about 40 MPH, you have reached teh max acelleration, and the 2 speed will be the answer you are looking for.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:31 PM
audio dynamics

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks man the motor is used an broken in and yes at around 40-45 it is maxed out do you think the stock 2 speed gearing will help me top out around 60 ? I'm looking to use the first gear to get out of the hole to around 30 then want to drop 1500-2 rmps off the rev so it start to gain again.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:05 PM
T I G

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There has been much debate about break-in procedures for gassers. I and quite a few others have dropped in some fuel and hit WOT. Personally, I have not had any problems as of yet.

The 2 speed will really make your MT move, not sure about 60 maybe 50/55. When I had my MT I had a 30.5CY, 2 speed and JetPro. That sucker screamed. It was very cool to hear it shift to. I went with the stock gears as well, what were they 18/40 20/44 I think. That was good enough for me, I didnt want to wheely every time I hit the gas.
I would recommend you get steel gears as soon as possible, especially if you plan on driving in the dirt and jumping. Mine went one at a time, pretty much after every run. It was worth the extra $200.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:23 PM
MrMikeG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If your good with a die grinder or Dremel you can lighten the piston and your RPM will go way up! Get it down to around 22 grams and you will pick up close to 2000 RPm. Those large CC motors have heavy pistons from the factory. Just watch out for the Jesus clips.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Bratch96

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jesus clips?
Old 07-17-2007, 09:19 AM
8000ft

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yes jesus clips, actually I had a boss that used to call them that too, I had never heard any one call them that before or sense; untill now.

jesus clips can be any small, spring clips; e-clips,c-clips, in this case they are the wire clips that hold the wrist pin in place on the piston.

hint: be very carefull when removing them.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:11 AM
ammdrew

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the 27, 29, 30 etc motors hit a wall on RPM. If you are looking for speed start looking at sedan gear ratios to help offset the rpm. On average a stock truck will run up to 47.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:51 PM
audio dynamics

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: T I G

There has been much debate about break-in procedures for gassers. I and quite a few others have dropped in some fuel and hit WOT. Personally, I have not had any problems as of yet.
I hear ya on the break man I dropped a S&S 100" motor in my harley and they compan y said the same thing 500 mile break in I laughed as I rocked the throttle .If a motor is built right and tight it's only need a few minutes at idol and throttle up unless your running chomoly rings.

ORIGINAL:ammdrew
he 27, 29, 30 etc motors hit a wall on RPM. If you are looking for speed start looking at sedan gear ratios to help offset the rpm. On average a stock truck will run up to 47.
Thanks bro I'm running the 29cc Oneil motor & jetpro pipe & it really revs out I was hoping someone had a tried , torchered & true gear ratio setup .

ORIGINAL:MrMikeG
If your good with a die grinder or Dremel you can lighten the piston and your RPM will go way up! Get it down to around 22 grams and you will pick up close to 2000 RPm. Those large CC motors have heavy pistons from the factory. Just watch out for the Jesus clips.
I know all about jesus clips LOL I likethe way you think MMG actually I have to be in the shop saturday to work on my bike I'm going to step it up a notch now that you got me thinging, Maybe I'll tear down the motor bathtub the head then deck them that will comp for the heavier piston by changing the comp ratio. I'll let you know how it works out .
Old 07-17-2007, 10:54 PM
MrMikeG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's a look at a lightned piston I run in my Bigfoot, in the pic it was 24 grams, I got it down to 22 on the weekend. Nothing special, just get in and grind.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64317.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	725162